google hacked?

islandboy

I was doing some searching this morning and discovered every link to have "this site may harm your computer" under it. Including a search for my own. Anyone else notice it?

not showing on mine... you proabably have a virus - i had one where every page that i went to, in each paragraph two or three keyworks would be highlighted like they were a link to another page, which obviosuly wasnt the case they all wanted me to spend money haha

quote:Google has apologized for a glitch that blocked people from using the search engine for a short time Saturday and warned that websites they wished to visit might harm their computers.

A company official said "each and every search result" from between 9:30 a.m. and 10:25 a.m. ET "likely resulted' in the message, "This site may harm your computer."

Marissa Mayer, vice-president of search products and user experience, writing in a Google blog, blamed the problem on human error.

She said Google flags search results with the warning if the site is known to install malicious software "in the background or otherwise surreptitiously."

However, the message popped up even for well-known, trusted sites because of an error in a list of web addresses compiled by a non-profit group that works with Google to protect users against visiting sites that could harm their computers, she said.

"This was clearly an error, and we are very sorry for the inconvenience caused to our users," Mayer said.

Users of Facebook in Canada, for instance, were advised to bypass Google and type in the address of the social networking site themselves.

"You can continue to http://www.facebook.com/ at your own risk," said the message, identified as a Google advisory.

The warning also told internet users to click on a link to give them more information on malware, a catch-all term for malicious software such as computer viruses and spyware.

"Clicking on the link to explain why Google feels this way about the site brings up a server error [message]," wrote David M. Williams on the Australian computer technology website itwire.com.

"As I write this, Google is reporting every search result as being harmful," he said. Williams said the sites to which Google would not take him included test.com and a number of pages on news.com.

Take only what you need.

quote:Originally posted by islandboy

I was doing some searching this morning and discovered every link to have "this site may harm your computer" under it. Including a search for my own. Anyone else notice it?

http://www.blogger.com/feeds/10861780/posts/default/5139112155847200303?v=2

"This site may harm your computer" on every search result?!?!
If you did a Google search between 6:30 a.m. PST and 7:25 a.m. PST this morning, you likely saw that the message "This site may harm your computer" accompanied each and every search result. This was clearly an error, and we are very sorry for the inconvenience caused to our users. What happened? Very simply, human error. Google flags search results with the message "This site may harm your computer" if the site is known to install malicious software in the background or otherwise surreptitiously. We do this to protect our users against visiting sites that could harm their computers. We maintain a list of such sites through both manual and automated methods. We work with a non-profit called StopBadware.org to come up with criteria for maintaining this list, and to provide simple processes for webmasters to remove their site from the list. We periodically update that list and released one such update to the site this morning. Unfortunately (and here's the human error), the URL of '/' was mistakenly checked in as a value to the file and '/' expands to all URLs. Fortunately, our on-call site reliability team found the problem quickly and reverted the file. Since we push these updates in a staggered and rolling fashion, the errors began appearing between 6:27 a.m. and 6:40 a.m. and began disappearing between 7:10 and 7:25 a.m., so the duration of the problem for any particular user was approximately 40 minutes. Thanks to our team for their quick work in finding this. And again, our apologies to any of you who were inconvenienced this morning, and to site owners whose pages were incorrectly labelled. We will carefully investigate this incident and put more robust file checks in place to prevent it from happening again. Thanks for your understanding. Update at 10:29 am PST: This post was revised as more precise information became available (changes are in blue). Here's StopBadware's explanation. Posted by Marissa Mayer, VP, Search Products & User Experience

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

Thanks for the follow up.

Back