Gold River

This is great news! Seeing a land-based facility use some existing infrastructure. Best of both worlds. Hopefully this can inspire a few sites to look at this option a little more seriously.

This is a good story. Things can be done that are win win with adequate capital investment/funding. Hopefully we see more.

Lots of these land base projects have failed to be approved over water licences and approvals.

So perhaps the extraction and discharge water licences was able to be transferred.

Lots of these land base projects have failed to be approved over water licences and approvals.

So perhaps the extraction and discharge water licences was able to be transferred.
Seems like some progressive thinking has gone into this project, so it might actually succeed. Not sure about steelhead though ... ?

Now that’s what I call “thinking outside the box”, repurposing an old industrial site, with deep sea access, all for steelhead production, just brilliant. Hopefully this venture is successful and as mentioned, is a model for future projects. There are a few more abandoned pulp mill sites in the province that could be transformed into land based aquaculture sites.

Seems like some progressive thinking has gone into this project, so it might actually succeed. Not sure about steelhead though ... ?
Steelhead/rainbows do better than most other finfish species in aquaculture. Very rapid growth and appear to cope with high-density stocking better than most other species. Also, I believe that given the water access is freshwater (correct?) they need to be using a freshwater species. Could sell the product as steelhead or "salmon". Genetically speaking, they are Oncorhynchus, so that wouldn't be false advertising. Plus, likely a better option to have a local species rather than an Atlantic species in case of a... Tsunami... 🙄 haha

There are a few sites that come to mind where this model could be used. Port Alice already has an algae production facility there and it looks like the old facility is being further removed.

ZERO chance of a Tsunami making it down Muchalat Inlet, too many islands down the inlet to block any surfin waves.

Uh, you might want to check into that statement, given the Tsunami that travelled down Muchalat Inlet after the Alaska quake in 1964 and how it affected things.
Same Tsunami that hit Port Alberni.

Edit to add:

I recall my old boss at the logging division telling me about the '64 incident. The logging camp was down at the beach then as the pulp mill hadn't been built, and when the water all sucked out of the inlet was the first alarm that a Tsunami was happening. Bill Ford, the Manager back then, had a sailboat he kept moored in a deep spot where the old log dump had been. He watched his boat almost go aground when the water receded and then watched it rise up quite high when the water returned but it always stayed over the deep spot and never untied from the dolphin it was attached to. In the actual camp, the ambulance that sat in its own little garage was picked up and floated at an angle so that they had to remove one wall plus jack the vehicle around to get it out. No major damage if I recall correctly.
Not sure how much or if any of the mill had been built in '64, so no knowledge of what might happen to any structures built on that site should a Tsunami happen in the future.............which it will.

Take care.

Last edited:
Back