Gold river Nootka

Bobby

We were at gold river from Aug1st-6th and had a blast. I was told fishing was slow if that is slow I Look forward to being there when it's hot. Between the 2of us we took home our 2day quota which we caught once we figured out what we were doing. The first day was spent flying around checking. out different areas the scenery and the different services offered on the water.From that day on we Were on the water by 445 every morning .Our 2nd day 1spring20 lbs and lots of mackerel.Day 3. 1spring 31lbs and 1 hatchery coho .and a pile of black bass .Went in early that day went for a drive to Campbell river to the tackle shop I bought a new islander reel and some 2-3 in chovies.Something I noticed was the fish we had caught were full of small needle fish hence the 2-3 in chovies.Day4 out. Of control fished outside down south limit of springs and coho in the boat by 1030 am the biggest. Being 42pounds what a beast almost 30 min to get her in took me down to the backing twice on my New reel. Also a 35 at estevan a 20 and a 15 out always as well. Hardest part was letting all those. Coho go till we got our hatchery fish . Day 5 finished off our spring limit that day in the morning with a 30 pounder and another 20 and 3more coho then off to Bajo got 3 halibut 2in the twentys and a big 67 pounder Day 5 back to the reef and fished bottom got our snappers and lings.For those of you that were out there when we were we we're in the 19 foot harbercraft red with the 200 Yamaha boat name was Recovery.I seen the odd boat with a net out but thought something must be up but we weren't Going to complain .Ok so this was answer and it worked purple haze teaser head , 2-3in chovies. No flasher with a 6 foot leader I was also using a nine weight sage fly rod with an islander reel so I had a lot of fun. Was constantly up and down on the rigger and always putting on fresh bait .i hit 2 of my coho while retrieving to change up bait. All in all we had a great time we left with our limit of all species including crab and prawns. I will post pictures soon as I figure out how to.And then there's the ones that got away but I will save those for another time. Good luck

Back