Gold River boat launch

beak

Haven't been to the launch at Gold River for a few years now.Heading out on the 25th we had heard that the channel out from the launch had been dredged out? Is it now an all tides launch any info thanks.

Beware the low tide launch. It seems to attract the boating challenged, better to wait for the right water if you can. Also keep in mind that inlet can get lumpy after 12:00.

Thanks Klob we had heard that it was dredged ,but I guess not.We've run that inlet a few times in the afternoon ,and it can get a little sloppy. Had to pound 5-6 ft chop the whole way makes for a little slower trip.

I also read it was "improved" last year. Being my first year using that launch I couldn't tell you if it's better than it was previous. I do know we launched our 21' and another 23' at a +2 foot tide with no problems, though it was fairly shallow. It does get sloppy in the channel. I was surprised that at 7AM it was already rough in the channel when we ran it.

D

I just called out there to Nootka Air charter service they are located right at the mouth of the the launch.The lady said that they did do some dredging but you still have to watch at low tides.Thanks for the info dman.

Boat launch at Gold River is very difficult at low tide.
I returned to the launch from Critter Cove last Sat. at about 7:00 AM - low tide and to add to the problem, a tree had come down the river, partially blocking the boat launch area. Took us about an hour to get the boat on the trailer. We also touched bottom in the channel near Nootka Air. I would suggest you have someone on the bow to watch bottom until you clear the channel.
Suggest you look at tide tables as adjust accordingly.
Enjoy!

I've done the Gold River boat launch a number of times at low water and my suggestion is to stay close to the road between the boat launch and as you get close to Nootka Air (maybe 50-75 yards) cut over to the other side. It doesn't look deep but it is and if you watch any of the local First Nations that's what they do. Watch out for the lock block in the water just upstream and tight to the Nootka Air dock!

Beak-
The lock block is one of those large concrete blocks (2-3' high - 4'long) used in retaining walls. I just missed it a couple of years ago so I stay away from the upstream end of the Nootka dock.

Is the parking fee the tribe charges at the ramp for both ramp use and parking, or just parking? Is it safe to leave your rig outside their parking lot? Is it safe to leave your rig inside their parking lot? Ive used this ramp for years, and have always paid their dues, but it seems the fee keeps going up and at some point I should ask these questions. any thoughts? thanks. DAJ

Left the rig in their lot the last couple years no problems at all, been a please to deal with thus far, but not sure what it'll cost this year[?]

My family has never had any issues either with security. About the only issue we've ever heard of is not enough room inside and outside. We had to haggle for one of two remaining spots last year.

Back