Gimbal mount for Scotty downrigger

carpeweekend

Crew Member
Looking to mount a 3rd downrigger onto my 23" Sailfish. Lots of flush mount rodholders along the back so was thinking of buying a Scotty gimbal mount holder which fits into the rodholders. Any thoughts or comments on this system? If anyone has a mount and/or a new or lightly used electric Scotty down rigger, an 1106 or equivalent, for sale, PM me.

The only issue I've heard of is storing such an odd shaped object in the cuddy when not in use-I have heard people curse the things because they take up so much room.

I though about this option, but I checked a boat out at the boat show which had the downriggers mount in the gimbal mount holders. I pretty much decided right way that it wasn't a good idea. The thing was very unstable but it might be better once there is some weight on it.

downriggers in gimbal mounts don't work that well my buddie has twisted the pin up several times and thats with just 10lb balls
if its your only resort from drilling a proper bracket to mount a swivel base then so be it but i would personally
get the drill out ....lol have no fear

Back