Gibbs "Skinny G" spoon...

Trotac stocks these as well between their King Fishers and Coyotes.

My issues with them is that not a single color pattern comes with a chrome back... they are all painted on both sides.

A critical miss by the manufacturer in my opinion, as sand lances have a distinct flash to them when they swim.

I understand that they are fished on the bottom, hence the glow, but the flash is missing :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think paint on both sides is an issue..

Irish crème spoon is paint both sides (glow back)

So is the Cookies 'n' Cream...

They aren't needlefish spoons......but when did you ever see a herring that was all Glow?

Killer needlefish hoochies that I've used have no flash whatsoever.......

I don't think the salmon differentiate.........if it looks like the right shape, right action, right color they hit it. The color being somewhat of a point to ponder.

Most of the killer spoons and hoochies:- there's no bait down there that actually looks like that as far as color goes........:)

Take the Cop Car hoochy or spoon for example..........when was the last time you saw a baitfish that was straight Black/White or Black/Glow?

Ditto for the green Splatterback hoochy........ever see a baitfish around these parts that was fluorescent Neon Green with a Glow belly?

or how about the Homeland Security spoon?.......I haven't seen any baitfish with a fluorescent Orange stripe down their back that glow as well........but that spoon works very well for many.......

To each their own I guess.

In the clear waters off Victoria I have done much better with chrome backed spoons when compared to paint on both sides.

In fact, my two best producing spoons so far in 2015 have no glow at all.. UV bait fish pattern on one side and chrome on the other that I buff the heck out of.

That being said, my friend who only fishes in Vancouver where the water has more color swears by the Irish Cream and Cookies and Cream.

Different strokes for different folks.

i fished them in renfrew about 3 weeks ago. It seems as soon as a guide (sponsored by gibbs) puts a picture up of catching a fish with their spoon, its the only thing that works and everybody has to use it. Do they catch fish? you bet youve seen some pictures.. but not for me on this day and first try

I fished the skinny g on one side for half the day, and rotated between coyotes, anchovies, and cj's on the other side.
Not one fish was caught on the g (and i used 3 different colors). We were so frustrated with it we threw all 3 over board at noon. This was coho & spring fishing on the beach, so after catching 3-4 fish on every other lure down the other side we wernt wasting any more time with them. look good though

IMO the skinny g was developed quickly to capitalize on the needlefish spoon push as of late. I'm sure it will catch the odd fish but was there any R&D put into it?? Good company and good at advertising but I'll be happy to use the needle imitations I already have.

hmmm.......I just got back from buying 3 of those at Harbor Chandler.

But the 'action" video that shows the lure at trolling speed on Facebook......I wasn't exactly mesmerized by the lure action.....

I'm going to put a swivel on the back end with a different hook.......change up the action and see what happens....

It's the right size for where I fish.........I'll get it working after I tool around with it for awhile........

Usually run spoons at around 60 inches leader..........gonna try going down to about 42 to 46 inches on these....

LOL..... right.....new hot lures.
There are several recent inventions of last couple of years I've tried.......rigging them every which way......and have still caught NADA on them..

However I will say that I've had results with the CJ lures at times.........

We have had the opportunity to fish the skinny g for a while since we are sponsored by Gibbs delta. They work great and have been trial running for a year. Are they the the greatest spoon out there? No. There no such thing. But do. they have thier time and place? Absolutely!!! They fish very well and unlike other needle fish spoons you can still troll these at normal speeds. If course bait will typically out fish other hardware so it's a poor comparison. But we typically fish spoons and hoochies whenever we can. The Bonchovy and the trap shack are out best ones so far. Like any fisherman if you try them and perfect them you will catch fish. We are running the Bon Chevy on the sts flasher and the the Bonchovy on the madi flasher. All on 7 ft leaders.

I tried them today....
Ran them 46 inches behind the flashers going on average about 2.8 mph..

Used the Kitchen Sink ( green/black/white)...and Cop Car ( black/white).....

Got quite a few hits on both........

All the commercially available lures catch salmon. They all work quite well, and you will always do better on the lure you THINK works better because you will fish it more than any other. I gotta say after using the sitka needlefish imitation they hold up way better than painted lures to salmon teeth. I'm sure these will work well but may not last quite as long.

I disagree with that statement.

Regardless of what you think about a lure it either works or it doesn't.

I have some lures that are red hot . Others I have fished 'til I drowned 'em. Dozens of hours on them and they never caught nada.

They don't "all work quite well" at all.

Gibbs has a "sleeper spoon" called the "Gator", which has a round dimple pattern punched into it. In Army Truck it has fished Nootka very very well. I have watched the roll of this Skinny G, and it does not seem to be as good as the original Gator.

All the same, the key to catching fishermen is promise. We'll bite every time.

Drewski

I changed out the hooks on my Skinny G's to different ones...and they have pretty good erratic action in the water now...

There are 3 other lures that have received heavy promotion on this site...all invented on Van Isle.

I haven't caught a thing on any of those... (but then these days I don't fish the west coast much)

I wouldn't classify the Skinny G as a super-killer spoon.......but it does work allright....

Back