getting someone elses crab catch

Sorry I had to edit my post for clarification. This was brought up over the winter and I hope I posted correctly now what is considered legal. Guides can do this with a dummy float with just a name tag attached to the float. Or you can tape over the existing name with a temporary name of the person who is fishing the gear. No rule about using other folks gear. Still doesn't help the OP.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess it all depends on the DFO's definition of "trap gear". Mine would be the trap itself - but I take your point, John (Sculpin). Duct tape with the name and phone number on the float is probably the easiest way to go. Have to remember the words of the immortal Red Green - "Duct tape is the handyman's secret weapon".

I guess it all depends on the DFO's definition of "trap gear". Mine would be the trap itself - but I take your point, John (Sculpin). Duct tape with the name and phone number on the float is probably the easiest way to go. Have to remember the words of the immortal Red Green - "Duct tape is the handyman's secret weapon".

Sorry for the initial confusion with my post Bruce. You can't have two names on the same line. Most of my gear is clipped. I can change out any float in a second. I have never ran into this situation before and I don't guide. For example: I can swap out floats in a couple of seconds. Put a dummy float with no name on it and clip a plastic tag (either sign material or what have you) with buddies name on it (using the same size and rules as on a float) directly under the float so DFO can see it when they pull up to it. Done like dinner. This has been approved and I know of a few guides doing this for quite a while. I really hope other folks adopt the practice in the future.

all this float talk is missing the entire point.

If you have a one person boat, you're limited to the catch laws for one person. Anything else is mental masturbation.

That's true, its also true that with a boat full of licensed fishers you still maybe limited to the daily catch of one person. The point being if buddy paddles his kayak to shore and gives the catch to his wife, how is that really any different from him giving them to her in the boat? If he is over his personal limit then so is a guy who hauls a trap or two, gets more than four crab total and shares the catch with his buddies onboard. Guys were pretty quick to point out the kayaker was breaking rules, but so are many of them!

That's true, its also true that with a boat full of licensed fishers you still maybe limited to the daily catch of one person. The point being if buddy paddles his kayak to shore and gives the catch to his wife, how is that really any different from him giving them to her in the boat? If he is over his personal limit then so is a guy who hauls a trap or two, gets more than four crab total and shares the catch with his buddies onboard. Guys were pretty quick to point out the kayaker was breaking rules, but so are many of them!

Because she is not in any way catching, assisting to catch or present when the crabs are being caught.

You may want to re read the definition of fishing as it applies to setting traps. Anyway enough time wasted on this topic.

This is an interesting thread and has brought me back to my main issue with bag limits. Ever notice how you can only keep 2 salmon, 4 crab etc but there is no limit / tracking on how much seafood one can buy? I can go and buy 20 salmon at the grocery store or 20 crabs at the dock in one day!

And you had better have a receipt if you get checked... you set yourself up for a hassle otherwise.

And you had better have a receipt if you get checked... you set yourself up for a hassle otherwise.

This is exactly my point. If you have a receipt because you *PAID* more you can keep as much as you want... from your local store. Its a hard pill to swallow that its about conservation.

This is exactly my point. If you have a receipt because you *PAID* more you can keep as much as you want... from your local store. Its a hard pill to swallow that its about conservation.

Does the commercial fishing industry fund any part of Fisheries Canada? Maybe that's why its accepted, because by buying the seafood its easier for fisheries to regulate everything and there is revenue being generated

good point! conservation rules seem to be a bit more relaxed once $$$'s for gov and industry are involved. look at the halibut quota debacle for proof of that...

That's really conflating many different issues. For most fish and shellfish, there is a fixed quota that is allowed to be taken from any area. One can argue about whether the process that is used for setting that quota is a good one, but nonetheless, there is a process that is intended to provide harvest without allowing overharvest. Often that process tries to hit what is called maximum sustainable harvest. So once the quota is set for a given area, the next issue is how is that quota split between the various interested parties? Again, while one may not like the current splits of quota between commercial, recreational and first nations a legally binding split exists. Within those subgroups, each cannot take more than the quota. Again, one can argue about how effective and fair enforcement is but the idea is that each group has a permitted amount and that if any one group exceeds its permitted amount it negatively affects the fishery. When you buy fish from a local store, you can keep as much as you want for at least two different reasons. A) Those fish were part of the commercial or first nations' quota which they are now, under the terms of the law, legally selling to you B) Those fish were taken from an entirely different area than the one in which you fish. Neither of these reasons justifies a recreational fisherman overharvesting or breaking the law.

Back