getting skunked on a charter.

Thehook
Answer this... If you had caught 2 Hali in the last half hour of this charter, would you have thought this was a great trip with a good guide?

This answer will tell you if you are bitter with this guides performance and effort or if you are disappointed that you did not catch fish.

Tips

Good call.

I would love to hear the guides perspective on this day out. If anyone knows who he is...do him a favour and send him the link to this thread. I am sure he will want to plead his case.

Did he say you were guaranteed to catch fish?

Its fishing. I hope we dont take our fish for granted and expect to harvest meat every trip out. Sportfishing is about a lot more than filling the tub. Something in the tub is a big part of it for sure, but being skunked shouldn't be that big a deal.

Did the other guides that went out that day catch fish?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have worked as a guide in a previous life. Some days I was a hero, some days I was a bum.

I could rant about some of the guests I have had ...

My advice is move on, try a different guide next time.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are two issues at play here, getting skunked and the guide 'lying' about being on the grounds the day before.

Getting skunked is subjective and we have seen many posts to that effect. Half day, edge of season, changing gear/techniques etc.

If the guide said he was out the day before and there is plenty of evidence that he was not, that is not subjective.
That is troubling if the guest made a decision to fish with that guide based upon what the guide said about fishing the previous day.
In legal terms they do not call it lying, they call it fraudulent, or at best negligent, misrepresentation.
Basically the guide was telling a lie to induce a guest into paying for a trip.
Not saying that happened in this case, don't know enough facts.

Just be careful what you say when hooking a guest.
"The Hali fishing was hot yesterday" Fine, whether or not you were out fishing.
"I/my boat/my guests limited out on Hali yesterday" It better have happened.

lol call any guide and ask them how the fishing is - they'll say fishing is good! even if they got skunked the day before.

If I was the guide I would want nothing to do with this thread. LOL
He doesn't need to defend himself on a Public Forum.

If I limited out in a hali spot 2 days in a row... I probably would not go back there day 3.

A lot of the comments here are obviously from people who don't know halibut fishing.
It is not like salmon fishing.

Give the guide a break. He did not put fish on board that day.
I'm sure he wanted to.

I'm still waiting for Thehook to answer my question.
That is the only thing of interest left for this thread.

Tips

It is just like karaoke in the bars in the states:(

If we had caught 2 hali in the last half hour it would a made the day better but I would not be booking another trip

Thehook,

Here's a plan, Instead of bitching and moaning on this forum about what happened or didn't happen on your trip, MAN UP and phone the guide, tell him you are disappointed with his effort, lack of expertise, incompetence and the overall experience, (that's what you have been suggesting) then tell him you want a Refund to make you feel better! It seems you need closure and a feeling that you are 100% right and are winning . I know other guys were thinking this and wouldn't post,

Thehook,

Here's a plan, Instead of bitching and moaning on this forum about what happened or didn't happen on your trip, MAN UP and phone the guide, tell him you are disappointed with his effort, lack of expertise, incompetence and the overall experience, (that's what you have been suggesting) then tell him you want a Refund to make you feel better! If it was so bad, I can't figure out why you paid him at the end of the trip or didn't tell him then and there that you felt ripped off? It seems you need closure and the feeling that you are 100% right and are winning . I know some of the guys who have read this thread or replied are probably thinking this and are too nice to tell and don't want the crap that this post will bring. You are welcome.

Thehook,

Here's a plan, Instead of bitching and moaning on this forum about what happened or didn't happen on your trip, MAN UP and phone the guide, tell him you are disappointed with his effort, lack of expertise, incompetence and the overall experience, (that's what you have been suggesting) then tell him you want a Refund to make you feel better! If it was so bad, I can't figure out why you paid him at the end of the trip or didn't tell him then and there that you felt ripped off? It seems you need closure and the feeling that you are 100% right and are winning . I know some of the guys who have read this thread or replied are probably thinking this and are too nice to tell and don't want the crap that this post will bring. You are welcome.

come on you guys
there is a reason they call it fishing, not catching
Any fisherman knows that what happened yesterday doesn't mean you can expect the same results today...good or bad.
It's a day to day proposition in pretty much every area, unless you are looking for pinks in a pick year.
The poor guides at Renfrew last year joked (GOOD FOR THEM) that some were on suicide watch cause fishing on Swiftsure Bank was so spotty (Poor).....For I don't know how many years that area was a sure thing.
Real fishermen know all this...the rest who expect if they pay their money, they should get their meat, should go to the grocery store!

I'm sure most guides take a skunk day home with them. It sucks. A lot of them, however, feel bad during the trip and give extra time on the clock with no pay to try and get fish. Also, if you went out on a 5 hour charter, I don't think you'll find many guides will spend the time moving and missing time without gear in the water.

The Flat Fish can be finicky. I've had 5 skunks in a row as of yesterday, and it's not because I have not tried. So I know how frustrating it can be. We got 3 in an hour on one spot in march, and tried that spot twice in the last few weeks without a nibble. Hali fishing can be tough. You get good times and bad times (A little heavier on the bad times for me this year so far!) I got a new to me boat recently and have yet to put a Hali in it and am keen to do so, but I know it will come in time and tons of gas later! I would imagine most guides are not immune to this either. That's fishing.

Back