Gear Oil Change

Up sell, up sell, you sound like a service advisor at an auto shop

No, not a service advisor at an auto shop, but I do have 20 years supplying the marine transportation industry with fuel and lubricants . I have seen more lube and fuel samples than you have had hot meals. Take my opinion for what its worth...the original poster has water in the gear case...fix it now while it may only require seals or wait and replace some major gear comnponents......... his call

No, not a service advisor at an auto shop, but I do have 20 years supplying the marine transportation industry with fuel and lubricants . I have seen more lube and fuel samples than you have had hot meals. Take my opinion for what its worth...the original poster has water in the gear case...fix it now while it may only require seals or wait and replace some major gear comnponents......... his call
Not arguing with you if there is truly leaking water-couple of points here-first he had no idea how long the oil had been in there, second he had a loose drain plug and third no washer and the washers that were there were in bad shape. One fill and close monitoring will cause no further damage-if water is present then yes it has to be dealt with-boating is costly at the best of times-try the simple and cheaper things first but as BB says fix it now if all it needs are seals.

I would chip in here, if the boat will spend it's idle time sitting in water fix it now, if it is trailered then change oil and check it after each run.

If this were my boat I would replace gear case plug , plug washer and change the gear lube. After a real good run under load , change it again and check for moisture. If there is ANY sign of water a new prop shaft seal is required . My previous point was the lubricant in the photo has water in it and lots of it .Running the engine with that level of contamination will lead to a large scale failure , then a $500 bill for new seals will seem cheap

Thanks again everyone for chipping in, I replaced the oil with some quicksilver lube and will check it or change it after I get out on the water one or two times.

There will still be some moisture do to the fact you can't get it all with one change. So just change it a couple times. I use Castrol Marine Gear Lube. Much cheaper then Quick Silver.

Back