Garmin NMEA backbone ‘t’ question/radar connection

pescador

I keep reading that Garmin t connectors don’t have ‘offsets’ like other manufacturers t’s and that makes the back bone difficult to build and not neat. What exactly does this mean? Is it just an added piece of support plastic on the side of the t? I bought Lowrance for my Garmin system last time and understand you can mix them and that they were easier to work with than Garmin pieces. Also, can you connect Garmin radar direct to the backbone? Is there an adaptor to get the Ethernet cable directly into the backbone so I can share radar across multiple mfd‘s? Just really just starting to understand NMEA and appreciate anyone’s knowledge.

@Admin Sure would be nice to have an “Electronics” sticky.

I keep reading that Garmin t connectors don’t have ‘offsets’ like other manufacturers t’s and that makes the back bone difficult to build and not neat. What exactly does this mean? Is it just an added piece of support plastic on the side of the t? I bought Lowrance for my Garmin system last time and understand you can mix them and that they were easier to work with than Garmin pieces. Also, can you connect Garmin radar direct to the backbone? Is there an adaptor to get the Ethernet cable directly into the backbone so I can share radar across multiple mfd‘s? Just really just starting to understand NMEA and appreciate anyone’s knowledge.

@Admin Sure would be nice to have an “Electronics” sticky.
Call Moose, he'll know the answers if no one else does , he's well known electronics genius
Moose @ 2506683821
Good luck, got me up and going over the phone years ago , great guy !

Here's a Garmin NMEA connector (thanks Captain Obvious, but I had to start somewhere...).IMG_3325 copy.jpg

On the male and female ends on the left and right, there is a "key" and corresponding slot to make sure the pins are aligned properly - I've highlighted in the following pictures:

IMG_3327.jpgIMG_3326.jpg

On other manufacturers NMEA connectors, these keys and the pins are rotated about 30 degrees in the connector. The connectors are still compatible, but because you have to rotate one of the connectors if mixing and matching Garmin with another brand, the drop cable connector and attachment screw (top and bottom of first photo), won't all line up neatly. They still make a perfectly functional network (I've done it) , but if you have space constraints or are bothered by not having everything neat and tidy, then its best to stick to one brand.

FYI, the title of the thread says "... backbone ‘t’ question/radar connection". Radar data is not passed to an MFD over a NMEA network - neither N2K nor 0183. Radar, and sonar, data can only be shared via an ethernet cable / network. Heading sensor data, which might be what the title is referring to, on the other hand is sent over NMEA.

I understand the T connector issue now. That all makes sense to me. I'll stick then with what I bought originally so the backbone is consistent (think they were Lowrance). With respect to the radar question, I thought there may be a conversion cable to allow the Radar to plug direct into the backbone then your MFD drop cable would pickup the radar off the backbone. Sounds like that isn't doable and you have to plug the ethernet connection of the stock Garmin radar cable directly into the back of the MFD. Thanks for your input.....

Hope it’s okay to ask my own question since it’s NMEA / Garmin related
My boat is equipped with a Bennett hydraulic trim tab system. I have a Garmin 1020 chart plotter. I’ve already installed and set up a NMEA 2000 network.
Question: is there a way to be able to see the position of the trim tabs using NMEA network on my Garmin? I’ve heard about a “ position sensor kit “ that installs on the existing trim tab rams and connects to the display via NMEA. Anyone ‘ s done this?
Thank you for attention
D

Back