Garmin GMR 18 HD Radar question.

pescador

I just installed my new Garmin 943xs Plus MFD. it works great with the new Chirp transducer. But when I plug in my old Garmin GMR 18 HD radar, it’s not coming up on the screen. If I unplug it from the back of the unit I get a message that ‘radar was lost’ so it must be sensing the unit but isn’t showing the option to activate it on the right of the screen. The radar works fine as I’ve tested it on my old second backup mfd. I’ve gone to the Garmin site and confirmed that the two are compatible. Is it a configuration issue where I need to set something up on the comms or something?

Update.....the software on my radar was several versions behind current. The mfd was up to date but radar not so much. I didn’t know that whenever I updated the mfd software you need your radar turned on to get its version updates. Simple fix turn on ALL connected devices when updating software. I assumed the mfd dropped the updates onto the radar from the mfd the next time I fired up the radar. Wrong. It’s 10 year old radar but It works on my new 942 xs plus.

Update.....the software on my radar was several versions behind current. The mfd was up to date but radar not so much. I didn’t know that whenever I updated the mfd software you need your radar turned on to get its version updates. Simple fix turn on ALL connected devices when updating software. I assumed the mfd dropped the updates onto the radar from the mfd the next time I fired up the radar. Wrong. It’s 10 year old radar but It works on my new 942 xs plus.
Exactly what I was going to tell you to do! Glad you got it working. Garmin updates come out regularly and your Active Captain app should tell you when one is available.

Good afternoon, I am running into a similar issue, (error code 1)it says radar lost when unplugged so it is sensing that it is there but it is not on the side of the screen to activate it. I did the update and I think I had the same thing happen it didn’t update radar. My question is, how do you power up the radar if the button to activate it is not there? Thanks in advance.

The radar should be powered up when you power on your chartplotter. All the button does is turn on the array and start it spinning.
I just checked mine and I have the Fantom 18 and its at version 4.30.
See if you can try running the updates again.
From your Chartplotter menu select ActiveCaptain > Software Updates > Install Now

Back