Garmin displays power too high and shuts off Any ideas ??

ocean sport

My Garmin MFD started acting up this weekend. After being on for about 20 minutes it displays power too high and shuts off. 14 v at unit when runnung, let it cool for 20 minutes or so and it will work again but ony for 10 minutes or so and it does it again, Anybody else ever had this issue ? any suggestions or fixes would be appreciated. Is there a local ( lower mainland ) place to get it repaired ?
Thanks

My Garmin MFD started acting up this weekend. After being on for about 20 minutes it displays power too high and shuts off. 14 v at unit when runnung, let it cool for 20 minutes or so and it will work again but ony for 10 minutes or so and it does it again, Anybody else ever had this issue ? any suggestions or fixes would be appreciated. Is there a local ( lower mainland ) place to get it repaired ?
Thanks
I’ve got an old 740 and a newer 943. They both run at 13.7 volts no issue. That’s what my motor puts outs at 3500 rpm. I’m surprised 14 v would shut it down. Have you tried a software update download? You can do it from most units via gps. There’s usually an option for “information“ which will take you to a few options one of which is “software update”. Not sure what unit you have but I’d start there.

Last edited:
Thanks
Try adding a smaller amp fuse

My Garmin MFD started acting up this weekend. After being on for about 20 minutes it displays power too high and shuts off. 14 v at unit when runnung, let it cool for 20 minutes or so and it will work again but ony for 10 minutes or so and it does it again, Anybody else ever had this issue ? any suggestions or fixes would be appreciated. Is there a local ( lower mainland ) place to get it
Does it only do this when the engine is running?
I might isolate the power source and try it without a charging system attached. Give it its own battery for a test. At least this would identify whether it is the boat or the unit. You may have some dirty power in the boat. Seen it more than once.

I’ve got an old 740 and a newer 943. They both run at 13.7 volts no issue. That’s what my motor puts outs at 3500 rpm. I’m surprised 14 v would shut it down. Have you tried a software update download? You can do it from most units via gps. There’s usually an option for “information“ which will take you to a few options one of which is “software update”. Not sure what unit you have but I’d start there.
I'm afraid it may shut down half way thru.. ??

I don’t think it would do any damage if it did shut down. I’d try it.
If it does not complete the software update before shutting down the unit could become inoperable. They warn you of this before hitting ok or continue. Running it off a 12 volt battery as BC Coast Pilot suggested will help you isolate your problem to the unit or your charge system.

Does it only do this when the engine is running?
I might isolate the power source and try it without a charging system attached. Give it its own battery for a test. At least this would identify whether it is the boat or the unit. You may have some dirty power in the boat. Seen it more than once.
Yes It does it with the engine on and charging or the engine off. Solid batt. voltage at the unit. I believe the operating voltage of the unit goes to 30 + volts so I really don't think there is any way it is having an over voltage problem. My thought is an internal resisitor shorted or something. Does anyone know of someplace local to look at and hopefullly repair the unit ?

Check all your ground connections, battery through to your unit. If there is a bad connection it be the problem,

Back