Garmin 1040xs

Busterbrown

I have had my new Garmin 1040 for a few months now and have a few questions. My unit has side-vu , downview, sounder module and is equiped with an Airmar B175 transducer and the G2 Bluechart . I am very happy with the performance on the sonars .It provides great detail in the depth of water I fish in.I am however really diSappointed with the charts that Garmin has provided.
In many areas the depth indicated on the charts is not even close to the actual depth of the water. In the photos below please notice the depth of the water on the sonar vs what the chart indicates. In the first pic the sonar reads 258ft and the chart indicates 184ft. The second photo has the sonar at183 ft and the chart 105ft I have confirmed the sonar is correct by dropping my downrigger cable to the bottom .Any one else have this issue with the charts?? I have the latest download from Garmin.Sorry for the lousy pictures but I had to take em with my phone

Same here I have an 820xs with chirp transducer. Awesome unit, super accurate sounder & transducer (better be for the cost! Isolated B75H transducer) I find the chart depth is 'approximate' a lot of the time (usually it shows shallower than it is, but sometimes it will show 120' and it's actually 90'! Not good).

It could be an out of date chart card? I was wondering this recently myself as I am not sure how often they may come out with a new version. I have inside/outside vancouver island/ west coast BC G2 Vision card, it's really cool to have all the functions, but the depth/fishing contours are off sometimes and it bothers me a bit as well...

I would call Garmin, have the chart card number ready. I have called them before, they answer right away usually and have great service.

Back