FYI - New Free Public Boat Ramp Ucluelet

Cheers All...

UclueletCharters: Thank you for the pictures ... indeed a great start ... only way to find out 'for sure' if they got the grade right is to launch and find out...which I will...hopefully never to return to the 'other alternative' in Ucluelet....

I think the Municipality of Ucluelet would be amazed at how quickly they would recoup their investment if they charged $10.00/day to launch and park...and the float would ensure the success...and the future expansion for a second 'deep water' ramp.

I liked launching at the resort. Get there before 8. Nobody to take payments. Nice wash down station as well. Which I am sure the 'free' launch will not have as the Seaplane launch did not. An alternative is always good, especially for Jerry....

no dock yet. I launched my boat there a couple of weeks ago. Nice ramp, but I would not be comfortable to retrieve a boat there unless the tide is fairly high.

There is supposed to be a steeper ramp going in the near future that runs along the other side of the piles and coming soon should be the dock finger. I would imagine their probably waiting for the fiscal year end to clear before digging into more funds to continue the project.

The dock was put in last summer, but still a tricky ramp to use - unless something has changed since.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

I will be single handed launching so I need a dock to go and park my truck. Why is the launch or dock tricky to use??

Ucluelet Campground is on Seaplane Base Road, just up from the launch. So close you could launch your boat and park back at your camp spot rather than in the limited parking along Seaplane Base road.

Island West also has RV spots, not sure if they have a moorage and launch deal for you if you stay with them.

Ukee

I will be single handed launching so I need a dock to go and park my truck. Why is the launch or dock tricky to use??

Maybe it is just me, since h.e.h says he had no issues with it. Getting my Arima in and out of the water was no big problem - I did it several times throughout the season , but getting my buddies Striper to float off his bunk trailer was a no go for us and we ended up going over to Island West.

Maybe it is just me, since h.e.h says he had no issues with it. Getting my Arima in and out of the water was no big problem - I did it several times throughout the season , but getting my buddies Striper to float off his bunk trailer was a no go for us and we ended up going over to Island West.

Interesting - I have a Striper as well and have had similar problems at several places. The Stripers seem to sit quite high on the bunks and the trailer has to be quite deep to both launch and retrieve. I have to be very careful with tides and launch angle (i.e. I need a fairly steep ramp).

Hey Ukee dreaming are you able to post the pics of the new dock that we talked about in the pm.

Thanks

P1010595.jpgP1010597.jpg

OK, sorry JAC should have posted these ages ago. Never posted pics before so hope it worked ....

As you can see, dock is tight right against the concrete launch - bit of an issue as could cause unnecessary traffic as opposed to if there were a bit of separation. Also, as of end of March, dock only extended to the 5th of 9 pilings. I'm assuming that additional lengths will be added so it extends right out to the end of the piles, which would allow boats to use the deeper water at the dock without blocking the launch or having to pull in on the pile side of the dock, which looks ok for a small boat but not sure it'd by alright for larger glass boats.

Anyway, as has been posted before - a pretty good launch at mid to high tide, but challenging for larger boats low to mid tide. Dock will help with launching then loading gear and passengers without having to run up on the beach. Other issue is the limited parking, though you can go further up Seaplane Base Road and park in hall parking lot if it's busy.

Ukee

Thanks. Nice white caps on the launch I'm guessing it's normally pretty calm in there I should be ok with a 22 foot boat by the looks of things. In the summer is that a crazy busy launch?

I drove by it a few weeks ago - it does look like a nice facility. It wasn't clear to me, however, that there is a lot of trailer/truck parking. Anyone have any better knowledge on this aspect of the facility?

Back