Fuel gauge reading in correct

leftcoast

Since I got my boat it has always read 3/4 when it's full this year it's reading 1/2 when it's full. What's happening? I keep track of hours/fuel/mileage so I'm not concerned about running out of gas just like things to work properly.

Any suggestions or ideas?

First thing that comes to mind is replace sending unit inside of tank, that is if you have access to it (most do)

try cleaning the contacts on your fuel sending unit, or a bad connection on the wire somewhere. bad ground etc.

try cleaning the contacts on your fuel sending unit, or a bad connection on the wire somewhere. bad ground etc.

I have the same problem -I will clean the contacts etc but I'm pretty sure it's the sending unit. Pretty easy to change- if you have never had a reading higher than 3/4-make sure you dip the tank-perhaps you need a little longer sending unit-not uncommon for them to be too short.

Had same issue with my previous boat. Frightening not knowing exactly how much fuel you have. For the cost I'd replace sending unit. Moeller (sp) makes good ones. I think less than $ 40 will get u a new one and peace of mind.

I like having a fuel flow monitor that works with my fuel sender. That way, you have two devices measuring the fuel left in your tank. Replaced my fuel sender last year -- mine read too high -- would tell me I had a half tank when I was almost empty so I now use two sources to calculate fuel.

I use the Lowrance EP-60R fuel flow sender and network it with one of the Lowrance LMF-400 gauges. You tell it how big your tank is, and it will calculate the % full based upon fuel usage. Just have to tell it each time you fill the tank.

I also have a Lowrance EP-65R attached to the fuel sender rather than use the analog gauge. It displays the sender reading on my plotter via NMEA2000.

Since I got my boat it has always read 3/4 when it's full this year it's reading 1/2 when it's full. What's happening? I keep track of hours/fuel/mileage so I'm not concerned about running out of gas just like things to work properly.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Good that you got it going again. Just think of your sender as a variable resistor. I believe the lower the resistance the fuller the tank and vice versa. When you get dirty or corroded terminals it will be a fixed resistance that your gauge will see and that is why it appears to be stuck or reading incorrectly. Instead of the sender resistance being read it is created at the terminals. Although they can stick as well? lol

I like having a fuel flow monitor that works with my fuel sender. That way, you have two devices measuring the fuel left in your tank. Replaced my fuel sender last year -- mine read too high -- would tell me I had a half tank when I was almost empty so I now use two sources to calculate fuel.

I use the Lowrance EP-60R fuel flow sender and network it with one of the Lowrance LMF-400 gauges. You tell it how big your tank is, and it will calculate the % full based upon fuel usage. Just have to tell it each time you fill the tank.

I also have a Lowrance EP-65R attached to the fuel sender rather than use the analog gauge. It displays the sender reading on my plotter via NMEA2000.

I use the EP-60R and love it. Accurate to a couple of liters after filling up with 300. And always errors on the safe side. Great piece of mind. Not that my onboard gauge is inaccurate I just use it as reference to what the Lowrance tells me.

Back