Freshwater rookie in Terrace for a week.

I am a long time saltwater fisherman but freshwater rookie. I am working in Terrace for the week and would am hoping to catch a fish. I have borrowed a bait casting set up and a fly rod. I am working long days but will have the evenings with a 4x4 to explore.
Can someone point me in the direction of a fish or two? I will be returning for another stay in a week and will probably be back a week after that. Does the river fishing get better towards September?

Thanks ,

CNF

Timing is perfect. Drive up the Copper River road (aka Zymoetz) ---when it starts flattening out and you're above the canyon, go fish the likely looking spots ---you might get a nice surprise. Don't think it's "out" or unfishable because of opaque glacial silt---rolling mud is about the only time those fish go off the bite

Use your saltwater knowledge--look for seams between fast and slow water, look for the magic place where a back eddy starts to slow down, straighten out, then flows off downstream again

Keep moving. If you get back to your car and the engine's cold, you were in the hole too long

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply. I drove up Copper River road on Thursday. I didn't have a lot of daylight so only drove to about km 6 or 7. Is it further up that you are talking or in the first section around 2 and 3 km?

I will be back up next week. Any more advice? What about driving back towards Rupert?

I haven't done that road since the BIG SLIDE--I'd ask locals about the road condition---you want to get just below the Clore

I had a couple other similar threads going, but I'll jump into this one. I am heading up on the 1st for a week of heavy fishing. It's been raining up there, so it sounds like conditions are challenging. But, the sun is predicted to shine, so hopefully water clarity improves.

I am rigged for steel. But, what about the hos? I'm thinking blades. Any other suggestions??? Help is appreciated.

If you're fishing gear, hard to beat a No. 5 Blue Fox, brass or copper finish. If there's color in the water, tie a small pink hootchy on the hook or the tail of a pink bubblegum worm -- deadly for anything that swims, including springs

But you're cheating yourself if you don't try a fly. You don't need that high-end stuff. Just an 8 or 9 foot single hander for an 8 or 9 weight line. My biggest day in Terrace was on a $ 50 Fenwick 9 footer (garage sale) with a $ 50 Courtland reel ($ 50) and a $ 35 Courtland weight-forward floating line. Double digit day fishing with another guy. Each of us got double digits. Mostly on dry flies off the top

The double-hander Simms poster boys tend to flog the water to a froth with their 16 foot spey rods and drive the fish out into faster water. Steer clear of them because they beat up the hole

Go retro on your gear if you don't want to belly up to the bar for the high-end stuff---steelhead don't care

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're fishing gear, hard to beat a No. 5 Blue Fox, brass or copper finish. If there's color in the water, tie a small pink hootchy on the hook or the tail of a pink bubblegum worm -- deadly for anything that swims, including springs

But you're cheating yourself if you don't try a fly. You don't need that high-end stuff. Just an 8 or 9 foot single hander for an 8 or 9 weight line. My biggest day in Terrace was on a $ 50 Fenwick 9 footer (garage sale) with a $ 50 Courtland reel ($ 50) and a $ 35 Courtland weight-forward floating line. Double digit day fishing with another guy. Each of us got double digits. Mostly on dry flies off the top

The double-hander Simms poster boys tend to flog the water to a froth with their 16 foot spey rods and drive the fish out into faster water. Steer clear of them because they beat up the hole

Go retro on your gear if you don't want to belly up to the bar for the high-end stuff---steelhead don't care
Great post SH. I love the doublehander Simms reference ;-)

I've had good luck in years past fly fishing for steel head on the Skeena near the Kitwanga bridge as long as the river's not too high

Back