French creek/Qualicum

Nice Catch! After hearing reports of fish but not much being caught at the Big and Little Q, we decided on Sangster and just out front of the French Creek Marina. It turned out to be a good decision.
August23.jpg

Well first effort fishing the little Q was unsuccessful for us...
Our 3 boats fishing friday and Sat were skunked.
Had better expectations after hearing how good it was last year same time.
Lot's of jellyfish[xx(]

fearnofishy-1-1.jpg

Only 3 boats out on those days? I'm heading over this week.

That would be 3 boats in his group...25+ boats out there every day.

Sorry about your timing r.s. [V]

The Little Q is an early September fishery. You will always see reports in August saying fish are being caught, but the best fishing does not begin until after Labour Day.

Hey Thanks to all for the tips, i guess we were early...
will have to give it a try another year in early September.

fearnofishy-1-1.jpg

Oh, 3 boats in your group, pardon me. I'm heading over just the same. I guess you were trolling with downriggers, huh? Sometimes the only the trollers do well, and sometimes only the jiggers do well, and sometimes everybody's hitting them like last year. But most of the time its crappy. I don't know what keeps me going back. :D

went out yesterday morning caught an eight pund coho put her back lost a big one and brought home a 23 pound chinook right out front of french creek i don't even bother with the little q have better luck out front! my luck has been on a orange and silver flasher and a cop car spoon hope this helps anyone good luck i will be out again tommorow!

hey frustrated, how deep are you getting them right now out of french creek? Visiting the inlaws in parksville on saturday and want to go out for a fish.

so just as i thought the main bite was just to early in the morning this weekend and early week.On monday when we got there at 6:15 there was a good bite but died quickly and yesterday it was at 7(apparently quite a few fish) so add the hour and the next few ams should be good.

i lost the big one at 220 feet in about 300 feet or water but this year and last year this time i was at 150 in 200 feet of water right out front the marina

really i have been starting at 15 and heading toward qualicum where it drops to 200 then i work my way back what depth you fish at and have you had much luck if so what have you been using?

i'm a drift jigger. i fish in 50 ft of water or less. many times 30 ft or less. i like using lighter tackle, just a buzzbomb or such, on the end of 20 lb test.

Back