French creek/Qualicum

scott craven

We have a small group planning our first trip to fish French creek/Qualicum on August 22/23/24.
We're staying at French creek resort, next door to the marina.
From what i understand the preference seems to be a variety of pink/glo squirt's on a short (24-30") leader.
Anybody have any further advice to newbies of that area ?

Thanks !

fearnofishy-1-1.jpg

Circa late 80s- when Coho were abundant, Bucktailing that area very good. If you spot Needlefish close in you will catch. 6 0z slip weight on the Bucktail,Springs. Vary your speeds.

B Gibb

Mouth of Little Q...squirts are definitely the lure of choice. I use herring with red hotspot flasher (42" leader) and do well. It is a short bite at first and last light, and can also be good at the tide changes. Many people do well jigging with mac deeps.
The fish concentrate in the lower 10 to 20 feet in water from 30 to 100 feet deep, although the biggest fish I caught last year was in 20 feet of water.

Would it be reasonable to run from the F.C. marina to the Q'S
in 15 or 20 mins. ??
We're just not sure about the run at dusk/dawn.

fearnofishy-1-1.jpg

Yes, you can make it in 15-20 minutes to big Q if your boat does a half decent speed. I have a 150 yamaha on a 21ft seaswirl and make it there no problem. I like mp16 hoochies for that area.

The qualicums are an evening fishery, water is quite shallow at the mouth 50 ft max. mp15 is my choice with 28 to 35 inch leader fished at 28 to 40 ft at 1.6 to 1.9 mph (gps) flasher doesent seem to matter, have fun

...while I agree the evenings are fantastic...the morning bite at the Little Q is awesome if you can get there early enough. If you can hit it on a day with a mid-morning tide change you can extend the fishing window.
Don't limit yourself to 50' at the Little Q.

20 mins from FC to LQ at 30 mph...C.S.C. you must have a rocket to get to Big Q in 15!:)

Thanks for the advice, does anyone fish around French creek at that
time of year, or is that a waste of time ?

fearnofishy-1-1.jpg

there's usually a few fish around FC...but it's pretty boring compared to the Q's.
Your trip may be a week or 2 early for the prime time, depending on the year.

Fish showing at the qualicums now heard of a 30lber caught and there is also good numbers over at sangster my buddies have been getting limits of 15-20lbers. The fish at the qualicums are a bit bigger 20-30lbs. Fishin green and white hootcies as well as coyotes 150-160ft on or near bottom at sangster and chovies/sockeye squirts at the Qs 20-60ft

Lots of fish showing up south of Tribune Bay...fish shallow in early morning and at dusk - rest of the time are deeper -troll at 80-130Feet in 150-250 depths ...J69 and regular Army truck hootchies on a purple haze flasher seems to work for the deep fish....low tide is best.

are there any jumping in shallow water close to shore?

hooked 9 springs today! lost em all with the help of some new fisherman also! It was madness never had a day this frustrating. I tried small siwash gammies with squirts and they were sh*&. Straightend two before i switched up.Also broke a gammie treble on a fish only 20lbs headshaking. Had two to the boat around 20 and lost them also lost the biggest fish ive hooked in the 30s or 40s. Amazing fight. Seals were around aswell we lost one 15-20lbs to a seal after chasin it all over. 35-55ft in 65ft of water on pink squirts and chovies took one. Back tommorow for a bit and hopefully dont get my butt kicked

Kelly.I have been fishing for many years using all the hooks you mentioned and have never broken or bent one.How do you know the fish that you lost on a broke Gammie was a 20? You must be the most unlucky fisherman or the worst I have ever heard of.To loose two 20's and a 30 or 40 or let alone 9 all in one day is shocking.If you hooked 9 and got 0 then you need to re think your tactics.Good luck with your next batch.

Back