Fraser Chinook Issues

Nets, land development, seals, and traffic on the river all add up to **** poor returns.

BINGO!

Along the Fraser: The lines of communication

https://www.mapleridgenews.com/opin...WtZPlY_CQpIYQKM5qgpuM8gG8LmQOyIfGWtkB1ID2QIA0

“There’s been a communication problem, but it’s not for lack of trying by the city,” says ARMS president Cheryl Ashlie. “They’re trying to do all this work DFO has downloaded to municipalities.”

Going forward?

“If we can’t get DFO boots on the ground, we need a new model,” says Ashlie.

These upper Fraser chinooks are basically in the same predicament as Thompson and Chilcotin steelhead - doomed; I understand a few rivers had less than 20 counted spawners this season.
And one of the big potential reasons for these fish not fairing well is being over-looked. Harbour Seal predation on larger out-migrant smolts. Summer 5/2 and 4/2 stream-type chinook come out of the estuary as larger smolts and are therefore more desirable prey. Similarly Steelhead which are the largest of all out-migrant smolts are in real trouble and the canary in the coal mine. Stream-type chinook (4/1) emerge and migrate out to sea shortly thereafter as very small smolts and are less desirable prey. They do get picked off later in the summer however as they tend to stick close to in-shore and estuary areas where they grow up to become larger prey. The 4/1 fish seem to be fairing slightly better than the 5/2 and 4/2 fish. We need to spend some time researching this, and looking to determine if there is indeed a strong correlation. If there is, then develop strategies that get the fish past the predators, or deal with the problem predators in a very specific and selective manner.

Searun, I am not suggesting there is no predation on these out migrating chinook smolts, but the numbers of spawners in many systems is so low this is now a moot point. For sure, deal with problem seals/sealions, but lets have more fish reach the spawning streams as well.

PACIFIC BALANCE PINNIPED SOCIETY
Today I thought I would share some insight from Ken Kristian who has a lifetime of knowledge from our coast. These are his words and I felt that they are very important for all to see in regards to predation by pinnipeds on our coastal salmon.

"I posted this on Island Fisherman Magazine’s site regarding an article on whether to cull or not to cull exploding populations of seals and sea lions:

I read the article, in fact, I read it three times. One critically important point was missed. I firmly believe that time and research will prove beyond a shadow of doubt that the greatest pinniped predation on Fraser River, Mainland Inlet and East Coast of Vancouver Island Chinook and coho salmon smolts does not take place in estuaries where stocks are limited, it occurs in lower Johnstone Straits and in portions of the Inside Passage—affected by extremely strong tides and currents—after the smolts converge by the millions. Year after year the salmon smolts travel the same paths and eventually seek shelter from strong currents to rest in bays with back-eddies and slower, slacker waters.

As a person that has spent more than 60 years with my eyes and mind open, traveling, navigating, and fishing throughout coastal British Columbia and Alaska, I’m here to say that exploding populations of seals and sea lions are devastating both outbound and inbound wild salmon stocks in extreme tidal sections of BC’s narrow Inside Passage.

Looking back through my records, the earliest I’ve witnessed large schools of wild salmon smolts in the slower sections and bays of the Inside Passage is April 12th. In general, the larger schools of outbound Chinook smolts (distinguishable by their size and coloring) usually peak in abundance throughout the month of June. What I have witnessed time and time again in the slower resting areas and bays over the past dozen years is the large schools of outbound Chinook salmon smolts being hemmed-in or herded by groups of up to 20 or so seals. The seals are keen predators and swim continually around the large schools of panicked, bunched Chinook smolts and devour them like candy and popcorn. Guides in the area will vouch that this is the truth as we have all seen it take place.

In the fall when salmon bound for the Fraser River and mainland inlets return through the Inside Passage, the cunning, predatory sea lions know exactly where the migrating salmon travel to expend the least amount of energy. The sea lions remember where, when and how they got their last meal of salmon and don’t forget.

Over the years I have watched sea lions catch and eat thousands of wild salmon. In fact, I and my wife have watched the sea lions here devour every species of wild salmon, rock cod, Ling Cod and octopus. I once witnessed a sea lion towing a Chinook salmon by the tail until it drowned. I estimated the Chinook weighing between 60 and 80 pounds.

At the present time, I’m amazed any inbound or outbound migrating salmon can make it through the gauntlet of seals and sea lions in and around the Yuculta Rapids and lower Johnstone Straits.

With British Columbia’s wild salmon and steel head stocks rolling downhill like a snowball headed for hell, the time has come for an ethical, organized harvest of seals and sea lions by BC’s First Nations while we still have stocks left to manage.

In closing, most would not know that at one time the BC government offered a five dollar bounty on seals and their noses were accepted as legal currency at most general stores. Not only were predators wisely controlled to protect salmon but the money received from seal nose bounties kept food on the table of hungry coastal families."

TOM How many years have you been doing salmon enhancement work in and around Phillips Arm Sonora Region?

"Over twenty. I’d have to look back as it all turns into a blur with time. I have been hand-raising 20,000 coho per year here in a private lake that’s connected to saltwater via tides. Been involved with the Phillips River Chinook program for 13 years.
Stream keeper for about 20 years."

Thank you Ken Kristian

People not knowing about the area Ken speaks of, one should look at Google maps for Phillips Arm south to Sonora Resort. This is a major choke spot for salmon, steel head and other fin fish. Jimmy Judd Island off Sonora resort is famous for all the sea lions and seals converging for the up welling of bloated hake and pollack. It's a feeding frenzy there and the numbers of pinnipeds in the region has exploded in recent years.

Please share post and please ask to join PACIFIC BALANCE PINNIPED SOCIETY to help get a harvest going on seals and sea lions to help protect our remaining salmon, steel head and other fin fish stocks.

Taken from their Facebook page.

And one of the big potential reasons for these fish not fairing well is being over-looked. Harbour Seal predation on larger out-migrant smolts. Summer 5/2 and 4/2 stream-type chinook come out of the estuary as larger smolts and are therefore more desirable prey. Similarly Steelhead which are the largest of all out-migrant smolts are in real trouble and the canary in the coal mine. Stream-type chinook (4/1) emerge and migrate out to sea shortly thereafter as very small smolts and are less desirable prey. They do get picked off later in the summer however as they tend to stick close to in-shore and estuary areas where they grow up to become larger prey. The 4/1 fish seem to be fairing slightly better than the 5/2 and 4/2 fish. We need to spend some time researching this, and looking to determine if there is indeed a strong correlation. If there is, then develop strategies that get the fish past the predators, or deal with the problem predators in a very specific and selective manner.

PACIFIC BALANCE PINNIPED SOCIETY
Today I thought I would share some insight from Ken Kristian who has a lifetime of knowledge from our coast. These are his words and I felt that they are very important for all to see in regards to predation by pinnipeds on our coastal salmon.

"I posted this on Island Fisherman Magazine’s site regarding an article on whether to cull or not to cull exploding populations of seals and sea lions:

I read the article, in fact, I read it three times. One critically important point was missed. I firmly believe that time and research will prove beyond a shadow of doubt that the greatest pinniped predation on Fraser River, Mainland Inlet and East Coast of Vancouver Island Chinook and coho salmon smolts does not take place in estuaries where stocks are limited, it occurs in lower Johnstone Straits and in portions of the Inside Passage—affected by extremely strong tides and currents—after the smolts converge by the millions. Year after year the salmon smolts travel the same paths and eventually seek shelter from strong currents to rest in bays with back-eddies and slower, slacker waters.

As a person that has spent more than 60 years with my eyes and mind open, traveling, navigating, and fishing throughout coastal British Columbia and Alaska, I’m here to say that exploding populations of seals and sea lions are devastating both outbound and inbound wild salmon stocks in extreme tidal sections of BC’s narrow Inside Passage.

Looking back through my records, the earliest I’ve witnessed large schools of wild salmon smolts in the slower sections and bays of the Inside Passage is April 12th. In general, the larger schools of outbound Chinook smolts (distinguishable by their size and coloring) usually peak in abundance throughout the month of June. What I have witnessed time and time again in the slower resting areas and bays over the past dozen years is the large schools of outbound Chinook salmon smolts being hemmed-in or herded by groups of up to 20 or so seals. The seals are keen predators and swim continually around the large schools of panicked, bunched Chinook smolts and devour them like candy and popcorn. Guides in the area will vouch that this is the truth as we have all seen it take place.

In the fall when salmon bound for the Fraser River and mainland inlets return through the Inside Passage, the cunning, predatory sea lions know exactly where the migrating salmon travel to expend the least amount of energy. The sea lions remember where, when and how they got their last meal of salmon and don’t forget.

Over the years I have watched sea lions catch and eat thousands of wild salmon. In fact, I and my wife have watched the sea lions here devour every species of wild salmon, rock cod, Ling Cod and octopus. I once witnessed a sea lion towing a Chinook salmon by the tail until it drowned. I estimated the Chinook weighing between 60 and 80 pounds.

At the present time, I’m amazed any inbound or outbound migrating salmon can make it through the gauntlet of seals and sea lions in and around the Yuculta Rapids and lower Johnstone Straits.

With British Columbia’s wild salmon and steel head stocks rolling downhill like a snowball headed for hell, the time has come for an ethical, organized harvest of seals and sea lions by BC’s First Nations while we still have stocks left to manage.

In closing, most would not know that at one time the BC government offered a five dollar bounty on seals and their noses were accepted as legal currency at most general stores. Not only were predators wisely controlled to protect salmon but the money received from seal nose bounties kept food on the table of hungry coastal families."

TOM How many years have you been doing salmon enhancement work in and around Phillips Arm Sonora Region?

"Over twenty. I’d have to look back as it all turns into a blur with time. I have been hand-raising 20,000 coho per year here in a private lake that’s connected to saltwater via tides. Been involved with the Phillips River Chinook program for 13 years.
Stream keeper for about 20 years."

Thank you Ken Kristian

People not knowing about the area Ken speaks of, one should look at Google maps for Phillips Arm south to Sonora Resort. This is a major choke spot for salmon, steel head and other fin fish. Jimmy Judd Island off Sonora resort is famous for all the sea lions and seals converging for the up welling of bloated hake and pollack. It's a feeding frenzy there and the numbers of pinnipeds in the region has exploded in recent years.

Please share post and please ask to join PACIFIC BALANCE PINNIPED SOCIETY to help get a harvest going on seals and sea lions to help protect our remaining salmon, steel head and other fin fish stocks.

Taken from their Facebook page.
Pictures are worth a thousand words. Too bad no one has taken the time to make a video.

ken Is right,

Lots of smolts do go missing in that area

as demonstrated by this tracking study http://kintama.com/animator/dep/Chilko2017_sockeye/ (https://open.library.ubc.ca/cIRcle/collections/ubctheses/24/items/1.0366970)
https://open.library.ubc.ca/media/download/pdf/24/1.0357363/3

Their is a bunch of theory why

I can't find all the links to the studies but they are numerious.

Quantifying Survival of Age Two Chilko Lake Sockeye Salmon
during the First 50 Days of Migration

"Several factors could differentially affect early marine survival in the CSOG and NEVI
regions. The NEVI area includes the northern-most 1/5th of the Strait of Georgia, and continues
north to encompass the Discovery Islands, Johnstone Strait, the Broughton Archipelago, and
Queen Charlotte Strait, and it is vastly more complex than the CSOG. The area north of
Johnstone Strait is world-renowned for its rich underwater biodiversity (Britnell 2010), and
offers whale watching and other eco-tourism opportunities (Destination BC 2017). The
Johnstone Strait, however, has little primary production (and thus zooplankton prey) because
wind and currents keep it well mixed to depths well below the photic zone (Thomson 1981;
McKinnell et al. 2014), and this leads to decreased juvenile salmon growth rates (Journey et al.
2018).
Following the 2009 Fraser River sockeye crash, a trophic gauntlet hypothesis was put
forth by McKinnell et al. (2014) which describes the extreme ocean and climate events occurring
in this region and Queen Charlotte Sound that may have led to poor survival of juvenile sockeye
in 2007, two years prior to the adults’ return. Extreme environmental conditions could lead to
either decreased growth and size-based selection by predators as a result, or outright starvation if
continued for long enough. For instance, (Tucker et al. 2016) observed that Cassin’s auklets
preferentially preyed on smaller salmon in poor condition in southern Queen Charlotte Sound,
area directly 610 north of our study site. The SOG, on the other hand, is one of the most
productive inland seas. Nutrient input and spring phytoplankton bloom timing means that there is
an abundant prey resource pool for migrating juvenile salmon (Harrison and Mackas 2014), and
growth rates are higher (Journey et al. 2018). In the Discovery Islands area between the SOG and
Johnstone Strait, there appears to be an abundant food supply in some years (Price et al. 2013),
but not in others (Neville et al. 2016); McKinnell et al. (2014) discuss the potential production
mechanisms associated with this transition zone

Predation by marine mammals, particularly pinnipeds, has gained more attention as more
studies reveal the preferred diets that these animals consume. The harbour seal (Phoca vitulina
richardsi) population in British Columbia,
and particularly the SOG, has rebounded to historic
levels since the species was protected in 1970 (DFO 2009) and there is evidence that they feed
on salmon species of conservation concern, including sockeye (Thomas et al. 2016). ()Even if
juvenile salmon comprise only a small proportion of the total diet, this results in large numbers
of fish (Thomas et al. 2016; Howard et al. 2013; Chasco et al. 2017). As the NEVI region
includes the northern-most area of the SOG, the lower survival we estimated for NEVI could be
partly attributed to fish becoming be more vulnerable to predation as they are concentrated in the
northern SOG and narrower waterways of the Discovery Islands where there are numerous seal
haul outs (DFO 2009; Yurk and Trites 2000)
().
Finally, the NEVI area, unlike the SOG, has numerous open net-pen salmon farms, and has
been fraught with controversy regarding the possible effect on wild salmon (Young and
Matthews 2010). The potential for interaction between wild and farmed salmon was highlighted
in a 2012 federal inquiry into the decline of sockeye salmon (Cohen 2012). The inquiry called on
the Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) to enforce stricter regulations and

recommended prohibiting salmon farmsin the Discovery Islands region if DFO cannot
confidently say “the risk of serious harm [to wild salmon] is minimal” (Cohen 2012). For
example, farmed salmon may transmit sea lice to migrating wild salmon, possibly reducing
foraging success and growth rates of wild salmon (Godwin et al. 2015; Godwin et al. 2017).
There are also a host of viral and bacterial pathogens associated with farmed salmon which may
be potentially harmful to wild salmon (Johansen et al. 2011) although the transmission of disease
has been poorly documented. Travel times reported here indicate that juvenile salmon migrate
quickly through this area, but the risk of serious harm is largely unknown, emphasizing the
importance of evaluating the effect of salmon farm exposure times on wild salmon survival."

Last edited:
Northern and Southern BC Chinook

DFO implemented fishery management actions in 2018 designed to reduce fishery mortality rates by 25 to 35% to address conservation concerns for Skeena, Nass, small wild Northern BC and all Fraser River Chinook stocks. For Northern BC stocks, preliminary spawning assessments indicate 2018 abundances improved from record lows in 2017 but remain below spawning escapement targets. However, the abundance of Fraser Chinook salmon continued to drop in 2018 with extremely low returns and unprecedented levels of poor productivity for many stocks. The poor returns in these systems are consistent with observations of broad coast-wide declines in Chinook survival, size at age, and fecundity that have been documented for many populations (see http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/csas-sccs/Publications/ScR-RS/2018/2018_035-eng.html.)

In addition, Southern Resident Killer Whales (SRKW) continue to face threats to their survival and recovery and the Government is planning additional measures to strengthen protection of the species by the time they return to the Salish Sea in late spring. This will include measures aimed at protecting and recovering Chinook salmon stocks that are significant for SRKW.

For 2019, the outlook is for continued unfavorable marine and freshwater survival conditions and low productivity for these Chinook stocks. This will require a continuation of fishery management actions to support conservation and promote rebuilding of these stocks. New management actions will also need to be considered to support conservation and rebuilding of Fraser River Chinook populations and support prey availability for SRKW.

To address conservation concerns for Fraser River Chinook and support prey availability for SRKW, the Department plans to consider new management actions with the objective of identifying opportunities to pass as many Fraser Chinook as possible to spawning areas to support recovery of these stocks. This will require consequential reductions in fisheries impacts in times and areas where these stocks are encountered in Northern and Southern BC including First Nations, recreational and commercial fisheries in marine areas and the Fraser River.
Potential new management actions could include:

 New time and area closures to reduce impacts on stocks of concern in key rearing areas and during peak migration periods;
 Reduced fishing effort or harvest allowances in Chinook directed fisheries;
 Chinook non-retention or consideration of mark selective (i.e. hatchery marked) Chinook retention;
 A combination of measures.

Management measures identified in the current Integrated Fisheries Management Plans (effective June 1, 2018 to May 31, 2019) will need to be reviewed to consider additional measures that may be required for early season fisheries that start in late winter/early spring 2019, as well as, measures that will be included in the new IFMPs covering the period from June 1, 2019 to May 31, 2020.
Over the next several months, the Department plans to consult with First Nations and stakeholders to identify specific details of these potential management actions and will seek input on potential biological, cultural, social and economic consequences of potential actions to support decision making.

Additional work is also underway to implement other measures, such as habitat restoration and enhancement actions, to support recovery of these populations.

Attachments

• 2019_2020 IFMP Timelines Letter and Priority Issues.pdf
    421.2 KB · Views: 10
Searun, I am not suggesting there is no predation on these out migrating chinook smolts, but the numbers of spawners in many systems is so low this is now a moot point. For sure, deal with problem seals/sealions, but lets have more fish reach the spawning streams as well.

Dave, Do you know the ecological health of the spawning streams in question? Are there healthy invertebrate populations for juvenile to feed on? Is the nitrifying bacteria functioning properly to convert the ammonia to nitrate? All of that is missing here on the Stamp river where we have extremely low wild productivity and the habitat structure is pristine.

Dave, Do you know the ecological health of the spawning streams in question? Are there healthy invertebrate populations for juvenile to feed on? Is the nitrifying bacteria functioning properly to convert the ammonia to nitrate? All of that is missing here on the Stamp river where we have extremely low wild productivity and the habitat structure is pristine.

I can't answer your water chemistry questions, but I can say most upper Fraser River chinook spawning streams, including the Fraser itself near Tete Jaune, have plenty of spawning gravel and rearing areas. Not sure if you know many of these upper stocks rear their juvies in the main stem Fraser. When I used to sample up there we found lots near sewage and pulp mill effluent pipes as the water was warmer (and possibly more productive, food wise).
I am very familiar with the Horsefly River, a chinook stream with poor returns, and it has a massive population of Rocky Mountain Whitefish, which suggests to me invertebrate populations are healthy. As I mentioned to you earlier, DFO's Lake Study group based out of Cultus Lake has a huge database of water chemistry from Fraser watershed lakes. Check it out, there might be some answers to your questions in it all.

Hmm.. lots of whitefish in horsefly must be invertebrates. Wonder if there are many in the Fraser to support the juveniles when rearing there?

I have searched the Cultus lake links before but the answers that I found was there was no continuous water quality sampling but more scattered random sampling. I could not find anything involving nitrifying bacteria either. I can tell you that invertes in the Thompson are nothing like sampling done by DFO 1974-1993 when I sampled in 2017. There also was all the signs we have here where dydimo algae has been blooming and salmon carcasses do not decompose.

Do you know anyone who has done invertebrate sampling on any of the Fraser main stem or tribs to see if these recently depressed Chinook stocks have been living among a suitable food web?

No, I don't know of any invertebrate monitoring, anywhere. Seems like there should be.

I know! It's crazy isn't it!!!
Well if you know of any people who are interested in the unmonitored invertebrate die off that has happened in B.C. salmon streams give them my number 250-720-5118.

Back