New to smoking, looking for suggestions.

Kinetic

So i took the ez route and bought a Masterbuilt electric smoker.
I cooked pork ribs in it on the weekend as a trial run. I followed the 3 2 1 method that's all over Youtube. I learned some things, some good, some bad.
Here's my initial thoughts. I used hickory chips but i found the smoke too strong and it lingered into the next day on everything (maybe this is normal?). I tried a lemon pepper rub on some of the ribs and it was too hot for my girls. I need a digital meat probe (will buy this week).
I'm looking for suggestions on milder smoke wood chips, ez to do meats to learn on (no fish lol), and mild rubs for my girls who don't like spicy.
Thanks in advance
PS pics from the weekend

Attachments

• IMG_20210301_173715.jpg
    IMG_20210301_173715.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20210301_173715 (2).jpg
    IMG_20210301_173715 (2).jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20210301_173715 (1).jpg
    IMG_20210301_173715 (1).jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 34
Can you set the temperature on that smoker? Try skinless chicken thighs, hard to mess them up. Salt, pepper and some garlic powder on skinless thighs. Put them
In a bag In the fridge overnight. Take them out an hour before you want to smoke them to warm up before putting in the smoker. Smoke at 225-250 for about 2.5 to 3 hours. Mmmmm awesome. Like chicken bacon haha.

Well I smoke a lot and ive found some foods defiantly absorb smoke in different ways for may bacon and hams I only smoke for about a hour as i need to tame it down used to do 2 hours and everyone complained "too smoky" you know the saying men are from MARS women Venus well its true us guys could chow down on any smoked goods women for some reason and 99% want it lighter so guess what women win!!! LOL
I use alder I find its a lot milder alot of rubs are easy as hell to make create your own , things like fresh ground coriander really enhance meats adds like a bit of sweetness also use sugar it wont hurt, as for lemon I like to use real lemon juice just adds more flavor, just go easy on the salt and pepper as you can always add that on your own food later. have fun with it.

Good Luck wolf

A3781B2E-40C5-4C4C-93D7-402BCDE85C66.png

That does beg the question, what is the best wood for smoking meat?​

Oak​

Oak is the quintessential go-to for smoking meat. It is a great place to start if you are a newbie to smoking. It will lend a medium to a strong flavor that is seldom overpowering.

Best Meat to Smoke​

Lamb, beef, brisket, and sausages

Hickory

The most versatile choice as it can be used to smoke wood in many ways. Be careful, though, because too much hickory flavor will cause your meat to have a more bitter flavor. It has a sweet, savory, and hearty, a bit bacony.

Best Meat to Smoke​

Larger cuts of ribs and pork shoulders, as well as almost all red meat and poultry.

Maple

One of the most subtle smoking wood, it will impart a more subtle smoke flavor. Use maple for a sweet, light, mild smokiness.

Best Meat to Smoke​

Poultry, pork, game foul

Mesquite

A hardy wood packing intense flavor. It is recommended for grilling, or to be used in smaller quantities. It is famous for its strong, intense, and unique.

Best Meat to Smoke​

Red Meat and for adding additional flavor when grilling

Pecan

Pecan will lend a rich, sweet, nutty flavor. In fact, the wood is so sweet that you may want to use a combination of it with another harder wood to balance out the flavor.

Best Meat to Smoke​

Briskets, roasts, and ribs

Apple

Applewood is mild and sweet, lending a mellow flavor. Apple smoke flavors take a while to permeate the meat, so anticipate several hours of smoking.

Best Meat to Smoke​

Chicken, wild foul, pork

Alder

A very light and sweet flavor profile. It lends a delicate and sweet characteristic.

Best Meat to Smoke​

Fish, like salmon and other Pacific Northwestern types.

Cherry

Cherry is mild and fruity, and when mixed with other hardwood like hickory, the two flavors compliment each other for an amazing result.

Best Meat to Smoke​

Chicken, turkey, ham

A lot of people make their own rubs. Your local bbq dealer should carry some small batch rubs from competive bbq winners that’s what I use.
If you are in Victoria Capital Iron has the best selection.

Rubs are easy, I can just never do the same rub twice!
My rub stays in a mason jar and I add ingredients as necessary or inspired.
Why be boring?
Yeah, I make many rubs.
I have mixed a few rubs together, when I have a little bit leftover of each rub that I want to use up.
Sometimes that mix of rubs turns out to be amazing.

I tried brining a side of Coho in Tamarind pulp as shown-which some here may be familiar with that was for 24 hours in addition to a 50/50 sugar salt brine-it really added something a bit sweet and something that was bit tart but nothing overwhelming.

I suppose it helped that was the fattest Coho in living memory.

Tamarind+pulp+unstrained.jpg

I tried brining a side of Coho in Tamarind pulp as shown-which some here may be familiar with that was for 24 hours in addition to a 50/50 sugar salt brine-it really added something a bit sweet and something that was bit tart but nothing overwhelming.

I suppose it helped that was the fattest Coho in living memory.

Tamarind+pulp+unstrained.jpg
how did that concotion turn out? I love tamarind but with salmon?!!

I really like this idea, how do you store them afterwards? Seems like back in the brine may take away the smoke flavour?
I put them back into their brine.
Since I smoked them for a couple of hours, the olives need some time to mellow while back in the brine.
Tried a few olives from this last batch after 1 week back in the brine, they needed to ‘age’ a bit longer.

I put them back into their brine.
Since I smoked them for a couple of hours, the olives need some time to mellow while back in the brine.
Tried a few olives from this last batch after 1 week back in the brine, they needed to ‘age’ a bit longer.
interesting.....I smoked some castelvetrano's and cerignolas and found the flavour to be quite strong so gave up on that. didn't consider going into brine. will have to try that next time.

thanks for the info!

Updated recipe: use large oysters and wife says there’s two kinds of cooking wine and you want the unsalted kind.
Try this:
1/2 cup dark soy sauce,
1/2 cup Chinese cooking wine (unsalted)
Large tub of size large shucked oysters.
pepper and garlic powder to taste
Mix soy sauce and wine in a plastic tub with a lid,add oysters and their juice as much pepper and garlic powder as you’d like. Mix gently and brine In fridge at least 12 and preferably 20 hours. Rinse well. and place on a screen. Not looking for a pellicle to form on these so straight into a smoker preheated to 220. Smoke for 2 hours 20 minutes. Remove, let cool and brush with light olive oil or vegetable oil. These are fantastic. They’re even better if you can put them In a container In the fridge overnight.

Attachments

• F15AA7AA-924E-4900-BCC8-48F7F2BE9BEB.jpeg
    F15AA7AA-924E-4900-BCC8-48F7F2BE9BEB.jpeg
    173 KB · Views: 36
  • 529016D9-2E01-4BCE-8216-6B336A076F2D.jpeg
    529016D9-2E01-4BCE-8216-6B336A076F2D.jpeg
    216.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 440EEC1F-81C6-4D56-8FE6-5137CB3BF80B.jpeg
    440EEC1F-81C6-4D56-8FE6-5137CB3BF80B.jpeg
    309.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 5F9272EB-D529-4E5A-9EB8-3EF1E341A473.jpeg
    5F9272EB-D529-4E5A-9EB8-3EF1E341A473.jpeg
    363.7 KB · Views: 37
  • E4B08D5A-6D01-4EFD-A416-58535A3248ED.jpeg
    E4B08D5A-6D01-4EFD-A416-58535A3248ED.jpeg
    216.9 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Try this:
1/2 cup dark soy sauce,
1/2 cup Chinese cooking wine
Large tub of shucked oysters.
pepper and garlic powder to taste
Mix soy sauce and wine in a plastic tub with a lid,add oysters and their juice as much pepper and garlic powder as you’d like. Mix gently and brine In fridge at least 12 and preferably 20 hours. Rinse and place on a screen. Not looking for a pellicle to form on these so straight into a smoker preheated to 220. Smoke for 2 hours 20 minutes. Remove, let cool and brush with light olive oil or vegetable oil. These are fantastic. They’re even better if you can put them In a container In the fridge overnight.
Very cool I've never seen this

Very cool I've never seen this
Try them. You won’t be disappointed. When they first come out of the smoker, edges can be a little crispy but let them sit In a sealed container for a couple hours to kind of even out the moisture. . If you do make them try this sandwich:
Toasted crusty roll with real butter
Smoked oysters
Bread and butter pickles
Sharp cheddar cheese
Mmmmmmouths watering so going to make one right now lol

Try them. You won’t be disappointed. When they first come out of the smoker, edges can be a little crispy but let them sit In a sealed container for a couple hours to kind of even out the moisture. . If you do make them try this sandwich:
Toasted crusty roll with real butter
Smoked oysters
Bread and butter pickles
Sharp cheddar cheese
Mmmmmmouths watering so going to make one right now lol
Killer. We have about 3 dozen oysters that we shucked and froze late last summer and I've been wondering what I can do other than fry them. I will try this!

Back