smoking salmon in winter

the butcher

i normally smoke my salmon in every season except middle of winter. with the sub freezing temps rolling in, have you noticed any difference in the quality of your smoke salmon in colder weather? I have a pellet smoker which normally operates at the lowest temp of 145F so the colder weather may actaully be better for maintaining the lower 120-130F temps for more smoke. what have you guys experienced smoking salmon in the cold temps?

i normally smoke my salmon in every season except middle of winter. with the sub freezing temps rolling in, have you noticed any difference in the quality of your smoke salmon in colder weather? I have a pellet smoker which normally operates at the lowest temp of 145F so the colder weather may actaully be better for maintaining the lower 120-130F temps for more smoke. what have you guys experienced smoking salmon in the cold temps?
I like cold weather so I can do the drying outside in the smoker without worrying about hot temps. Otherwise the temp in the smoker is the temp in the smoker. If you're going for cold smoking and have a tough time getting low enough then yeah, no brainer.

i am referring to hot smoke salmon. i find lower temps in 110-125 range gets more smoke penetration.

Back