Floating bait for shorecasting

fish stalker

going to try shorecasting for coho and springs

I know steelheaders have a way of floating bait but bait is usually a eggsack. Could a choive be floated the same way?

For coho I know they like lively action not sure you could jerk it around to much with out it deteriorating, mabey baitrix?

Anyone have any ideas how much weight I could on a line and chovie to get it out on a float?

I know would probably only work if they was bait around. But they say there has to be anyway for chins to move in close to shore.

or is this crazy? :p

Where are you fishing and how deep do you want it to go? Im not certrain on the rigging and how it will fish but you can try boober stops so it can be fished as deep as 30-40 ft if you wanted

-KK

I have actually tried this and the hard part was keeping the chovie / herring on without it totally ripping apart from the violence of the casting motion...If you would run a wire through the chovie and then somehow wrap the meat with thread so it stay on it may work...

americans wrap the kwikfish plugs with a sticky stretchy string and chovi i think ive seen it here in the freshwater section

I think you would be better off to buy some casting spoons (which are somewhat heavier) and you should be able to get some distance on a cast.

There's a technique developed in northern California where a dead Anchovy is suspended under a float-seen it used here for Coho and Yes there was a wire through the bait-dumbest looking thing you ever saw but it worked of course so does tin foil wrapped around a bare hook.

You can also hook a strip of bait to a small jig head and fish that under a float using the action of the waves to give it action-that's an old technique that's largely fallen out of use.

Back home, it was hard to get bait out past the breakers to the deep water {by comparison here, its shallow at about 15ft}. So, what we did was after the bait/hook was set, about 2ft above that, tie a treble hook to the line and an inflated balloon next to it and float it out. When it gets where we want it, give the rod a good solid yank. The resistance of water against the balloon slowed it down and the treble would pop the balloon allowing it to drop right there.
This a common procedure when catching large sharks or if you wanted to float for barracuda, dolphin, amberjack......

A couple weeks ago, I was testing a theory and floated out bait on one rod while working the other rod right next to my kayak. My theory tested positive, but moreover, the balloon concept was shown to work just as well here as there

The only other point worth mentioning is that you float out from the beach as the tide drops. An incoming can float out, but it is hard to do and takes a lot of time. Float on the outgoing and it's gone quick.

hmm well I am going to try something...:) Call me Seafevette
interested in these 'boober stops' you speak of kk ::p
I lost a $7 buzzbomb tonight :rolleyes: so I might as well try a tray of bait.
There are only a couple of spoons that you can launch with 20lbtest. I can get about 75ft with a 4 inch buzzbomb.
Got a new reel im going to put some braid on with some mono leader for a little stretch.
After running bait this last weekend I might be a convert.

Back home, it was hard to get bait out past the breakers to the deep water {by comparison here, its shallow at about 15ft}. So, what we did was after the bait/hook was set, about 2ft above that, tie a treble hook to the line and an inflated balloon next to it and float it out. When it gets where we want it, give the rod a good solid yank. The resistance of water against the balloon slowed it down and the treble would pop the balloon allowing it to drop right there.
This a common procedure when catching large sharks or if you wanted to float for barracuda, dolphin, amberjack......

A couple weeks ago, I was testing a theory and floated out bait on one rod while working the other rod right next to my kayak. My theory tested positive, but moreover, the balloon concept was shown to work just as well here as there

The only other point worth mentioning is that you float out from the beach as the tide drops. An incoming can float out, but it is hard to do and takes a lot of time. Float on the outgoing and it's gone quick.

oh ya I saw this on a fishing show a couple weeks ago! sounds fun to try :)

By using braid, you don't have to worry about overcoming stretch of mono when popping the balloon. The only thing I would concern over is cutoff due to rocks. That in mind, I would most likely do a topshot of mono, too. In this case, I would balloon it at the junction. The topshop of mono would fare better against cutoff and the braid provide no stretch for popping the balloon.

Because where I come from there are no rocks or anything to cut the line, we could use 100% braid. Those concerned about abrasion would use mono topshots of about 12-20ft. A shark's hide would cut through braid with the greatest of ease and a cuda biting the line would end a great day in a bad way so mono topshot is the way to go.

Using as much braid as possible is best as the line is so small, you add a lot of line to the reel so its easier to go further. Just be sure to not spool yourself out of fighting line when floating out. I watched one guy do that off the coast of Galveston. Let nearly all line out and when he hooked up, he had no fighting line left. Must have been a good sized shark as it took his rod and reel with it as it headed further into the gulf. It was a very nice 14/0 Senator he had.

ive never cast with braid. I have two reels I can put some on medium abu ambassador or a larger saltwater spinning. Ive heard birdnests can happen easily with braid. Would one reel be better then another for braid?

Back