Float coat vs Inflatable pfd

Dirtguy

Hey guys looking at buying some new floaty things, i am leaning towards an automatic inflatable but i wanted some opinions first. I mainly fish inland right now but i intend on getting the boat out to the ocean soon.

cheers

They are great!! Remember they only count as a pfd if your wearing it.

I have six.. A couple cheaper ones that do not auto inflate.. A couple mid cost that have the inflate when wet,, and one i wear specifically if i am by myself that auto inflates once "under water" .

I use the Mustang auto inflate and I do not even notice it while wearing it. Paid 99$ usd for it last year in Oregon.

My wife and I have the auto inflate vest, forget its on, you wouldnt believe how many times we have arrived at home still wearing them!

Floater coats or cruiser suits are great in an open boat, when its cold, and rainy. Too cumbersome in the summer days. Everyone on my little boat wears a pfd of the inflatable type or if a child, a proper fitting life jacket. For the most part though, it doesn't matter what you are wearing, if you fall in and are not rescued fairly guickly.

Since I usually fish off=shore WCVI I have both-early in the morning I use my floater coat and switch if we are lucky enough for it to warm up-but man I love the coat for its warmth!!

I wear the auto inflatable suspended style religiously. As soon as I get out of the truck to launch the boat it goes on. I take it off as the last step to buttoning the boat up after loading it onto the trailer. I don't notice it being on, and it works. I had mine deploy once and it happens so fast you wouldn't believe it.

My father, now in his mid seventies, would never wear a PFD. He was once a very strong swimmer, but I told him he was getting on and the water isn't getting any warmer around our parts. So I bought him one of the Cabela's auto inflating suspended style PFDs. He wears it without fail, and perhaps more iota toy, without complaint. He fishes with me and my kids a lot and he is now setting a great example for his grandsons.

A good point was made earlier that they do not count as a PFD on your boat unless you are wearing it. Further, they Re not certified for use by children. I think the minimum age is 16, but it might be 14.

Franko

MILF (Man, I Love Fishing)

Got an auto inflatable PFD from West Marine a couple of years ago.As some have already stated,I find myself crawling
into the truck after spending 15 or 20 mins. buttoning up the boat for the trip home and I'm still wearing it!Waiting for
another sale on them and grabbing 2 more for the boat.Once or twice a year they go on for $99,regular $149.

They're great from a safety perspective as they provide 30-35lbs of floatation. Most vest style are 25 and floater coats and suits only 15. They are also better at putting your head above water than most.

And you hardly even know it's there.

I appreciate all the input, went and picked up a couple of inflatables from Cambodian tire. Think I'm gonna like this forum

OK not an either or thing but maybe a guy should be sure to "wear something" PFDs are great--if you wear them but first light a big floater coat with the sheepskin pockets takes some beating!!!

Back