Fishing, what's fishing???

SnowDaddy

Hello all,

Just thought that tag might get a few bites, hehehe

Looking for a little information, have been trolling the site for a week or so now, reading this and that, and working on the boat I just bought, and now it's time to "git er done" like putting her in the water eh!

I plan to launch from Crescent Beach Marina on a regular basis, since it is closest to home, reasonably priced, and close to The Gulf Islands.

What I need is a list of equipment to purchase to do a little fishing, not looking to break the bank, but don't want to be buying cheap crap either. Been looking around the stores and Marinas at fishing gear, and I gotta say there is a lot to look at and to choose from, but geez how's a rookie to know what to get, Yikes it a maze of rods, reels, lures, nets, clubs, it's madness I tell you it's madness...I can't take it anymore somebody please help me...uh that's all tongue in cheek eh.

But I am looking for suggestions, what I would like to do is some trolling around the Islands, I went fishing with a buddy while we were in Mexico a while back, and had a great time fishing about 5 or 10 miles off the coast of Mexico in a little town called Guayabitos. Caught this little fish in the pic.

What a great day that was.CIMG1202.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
As someone with thousands of dollars in tackle, I use maybe 6 things. Get yourself:

2x Scotty Downriggers (Electrics are about 300 each used, armstrongs are about 100 each used)
2x 15LB Cannon Balls (Just get the big ones and get over it)
2x Scotty Release Clips

2x 10FT Moochings Rods (Canadian Tire has rod/reel combos for 60 dollars new).
40LB Test line for the reels.
50LB Maxima for the leaders
6x Mint Hoochie
6x UV Purple Haze Hoochie and squirt
6x Tiger Prawn Hoochie
6x White Hoochie
10x Bead Chain Swivels
10x Salmon Snaps matched to size of swivel (Get the guy at the tackle store to show you how to hook them up)
2xGreen Flasher
2x Purple Haze Flasher
2x Betsy Flasher
2x Green Glow Flasher
2x Red Glow Flasher

Get a package of 6/0 single barbless hooks for the hoochies. Then them in tandem, one 4 inches behind the other.

For bait, you need:

3x Green Anchovy Special
3x Clear Anchovy Special
3x Chrome Army Truck Anchovy Teaser
3x Glow Anchovy Teaser

Get yourself some 4/0 Eagle Claw treble hooks (3x strong), de barb 'em, and use them with the anchovies. Google up "Salmon Anchovy Roll", that will tell you what it looks like. Tie your hoochies 3 feet behind the flasher, your bait 6 feet behind the flasher, and enjoy. During the summer, troll 100 feet up to 20 feet, in the winter 150 feet right down to the bottom (Assuming you have downriggers).

Google up Salmon Recipies...

I would add to that:-

One pack of glow Army Truck hoochies
One pack of Green/Glow Splatterback hoochies
2 Silver Horde 3.5" Irish Creme spoons
2 Silver Horde Green Splatterback spoons (they glow).

I like the Green Haze flashers......the ones that are blue/violet UV, NOT the ones that are green/yellow U/V.

wow great post LC. Can I just ask one question which has been bugging me. How do you pre tie your rigs. Where do you put split rings,barrel swivels etc for quick connections. What size? Do you leave a swivel with clip attached to main line...? What to retie every time? what can I leave on hootchie, flashers etc.

Wow, thanks a boatload, hell of a list, does that mean I'll have thousands of dollar in tackle too, when I buy all that stuff.

Appreciate that info more than you could possibly know, the beers are on me if ever we should meet upon the waters of the Pacific Ocean, after the fishing is done of course.

Thanks also for the fishing tips.

Best Regards,

Don Hughes/aka/SnowDaddy

I can't believe people still drink Lucky Lager with so many better brands on the market. Try some of the local micro brewery beer any dump that swill.....

I can't believe people still drink Lucky Lager with so many better brands on the market. Try some of the local micro brewery beer any dump that swill.....

HELL'S BELLS. bite your tongue.

My dad drank Lucky, I drink Lucky, my kids will drink Lucky. It's just the way it is.

Lucky lager, the fishiest beer on Vancouver island ! :D

LL may be the fishiest beer but who likes fishy tasting beer LOL. Seriously though I would definitely add to that list a spare cannon ball, clip, and everything needed to hook up the ball. Speaking from experience it sucks to loose a cannon ball and not be able to hook up a new one while fishing.

h.e.h.

...better brands?? Lucky is swill???? OK I agree that there are great micro brews from all over BC that are VERY good. BUT....and I really don't know why....but Lucky Lager is the best fishing beer, even when sitting in front of the laptop on Sportfishingbc tippin er typing this.....CHEERS!!!!

Don't forget pliers for crimping and de-barbing hooks, long nose pliers for unhooking fish, scissors for quickly cutting line to make leaders (although this should be done before going out), pool noodles for winding leaders spare leaders around to prevent those tangles, and a sharpening stone for putting the point back on dull hooks and for keeping that fillet knife in good condition (which you will also need if you are successful...LOL)

And on the side topic started here, in Britain all lager and any yellow beer is derided as "yellow peril" or "knat's p**s" and generally regarded as the drink for the ladies or wimps. Over there real men drink draught bitter, IPA, or brown ale. Certainly all British anglers do, and I am formerly one of those.....!! :)

[Over there real men drink draught bitter, IPA, or brown ale. Certainly all British anglers do, and I am formerly one of those.....!! :)[/QUOTE]

A pint of Theakstons Old Peculiar please!

Back