Fishing Vancouver Area Improving (pic)

quote:Interesting. I've played a lot of big ones well over that size. My guests have played a lot of big ones well over that size in years of professional guiding... Can't say I've ever had a 350 yard run out of any Salmon

Well I guess now you can say you thought you seen everything but I guess you never... Jee wiz guys why the trashing,, let the guy enjoy his catch... Fanny,, nice fish no,,, great fish and I'm sure it was a great battle and I know you will remember it for a lifetime.. Good job...

Heaven forbid someone should tell a fish story on hear...[:0] [:0] [:0]

no kidding - you can tell its getting slow and some people are getting jeleous. Who knows how much line it pulled, I don't think he had a counter on his reel and I'm sure after getting a big fish like that a little hyperbole is acceptable.

I think the point he was trying to make is the big damn fish took a lot of line.

If it didn't happen to the fishin_magician, it couldn't have possibly happen to anyone else, that's for sure!

I am getting reel tired of the cynical comments from you FM. Don't take the glory from farny man, he caught a nice fish and needs to be congratulated - not interrogated.

Nice fish Farny!

quote:Originally posted by black dog

If it didn't happen to the fishin_magician, it couldn't have possibly happen to anyone else, that's for sure!

I am getting reel tired of the cynical comments from you FM. Don't take the glory from farny man, he caught a nice fish and needs to be congratulated - not interrogated.

Nice fish Farny!

You know Black Dog, everyone is entitled to an opinion. That's my experience.

Anyways, his experience is quite unusual, the fish taking that much line and the depth he caught it at. Anyways, I'd like to see a pic. That's all. If I ask based on my experience, soooooooooooooo what?

You need to take a valium bud.

Was out off West Van last week and caught a nickel jack Spring at 65 feet with a flasher and a tiny gold colored single hook plug the size of your thumb that I bought a bunch of 10 years ago at Popeye's and I believe they told me they were used by commercial boats. Those little guys always did amazingly well years ago when I fished alot and unfortunately I lost the last two I had with fish that busted off later that day. Seems my recent years of river fishing had me a little confused into using 15 pound leaders that were far to light. A fishing guide I play hockey with tells me (too late of course) when using a flasher to use 30-40 pound! What you guys use?
Also wondering if anyone is able to tell me where exactly Sandhead is?
And lastly, if anyone needs a fishin buddy to share expenses let me know. I've had my own boat in the past and have fished the chuck with downriggers for many years albeit some 10 years ago. Have my own biz with flexible hours and weekdays are actually better for me.
Thanks.:)

In the education business we are aware that students who present high opinions of themselves by inflating personal accomplishments while criticizing and demeaning others are usually suffering from low self-esteem and need to be ignored, sent for counselling, or my favourite, challenged to a game of dodgeball.
FM, I have learned a lot about fishing from many of your posts, but at other times you fail to live up to the high standard set on here by the ones that really know what they are talking about. You could be one of those if you wanted to be. (The last bit was standard issue teacher-talk that no one ever believes).

30-40 pound! What you guys use?

With flashers and the need to release smaller chinook in Georgia Strait, I want to play them hard and bring them in quickly, so I like to use 40-pound test Maxima fluorocarbon leader but almost any other quality 40-pound test leader will work well.

Also wondering if anyone is able to tell me where exactly Sandhead is?

The Sandheads are located just off the mouth of the south arm of the Fraser River.

[/quote]

quote:Originally posted by fishin_magician

quote:Originally posted by black dog

Nice fish Farny!

You know Black Dog, everyone is entitled to an opinion. That's my experience.

Anyways, his experience is quite unusual, the fish taking that much line and the depth he caught it at. Anyways, I'd like to see a pic. That's all. If I ask based on my experience, soooooooooooooo what?

You need to take a valium bud.

F.M.

You need to stop being so damn analytical and start enjoying somebody else's good fortune.
If you're as good as you think you are where's all your pictures?
The only ones i've seen you post are somebody else's [xx(]

20, 30, or 40 depending on where I am, what fish are about, and what I have left in the box when I'm tying up.

I fish way more with bait than with Hootchies or Spoons.

With Hootchies I try to use 40lb (they depend on the action of the flasher) but with teaser heads I would use 20/30/40 or whatever comes out of the box next/last (and maybe what was on sale last).

I can't remember breaking off too many leaders in the last 5 years or so, even at the 20lb. And around WestVan/Ambleside I've caught far more fish under 20lb (usually under 10) than over 40!

quote:Originally posted by tubber

In the education business we are aware that students who present high opinions of themselves by inflating personal accomplishments while criticizing and demeaning others are usually suffering from low self-esteem and need to be ignored, sent for counselling, or my favourite, challenged to a game of dodgeball.
FM, I have learned a lot about fishing from many of your posts, but at other times you fail to live up to the high standard set on here by the ones that really know what they are talking about. You could be one of those if you wanted to be. (The last bit was standard issue teacher-talk that no one ever believes).

Everyone is entitled to their opinion...

Farny. Nice going. 47. Man that must have got the adrenaline flowing. I bet that report is going to get some guys out in the rain this weekend.

Newf. I'm running 40 pound main and 40 pound leaders this year. I think I am going to stick with that next year too. I can not think of any reason to change down. Some guys might think it is more sportsman-like to use lighter line, but I think it is more sporting to not send fish up the creek trailing broken off gear. I also plan on hooking a 100 pound rogue Spring one of these days. I bet when I finally net him, he'll have a half dozen old broken-off set-ups dangling from his mouth.

Im with dog i have been running 30 main and 25lb leader but switched to 30 or 40main and leader. If you do it right you should have no problem with big fish on 25lb but i often get knicks, inexperienced people fighting fish,seals ect. 40 may be overkill most of the time but its nice to have some comfort and its bailed me out a few times.

PS Nice fish i bet that got ya goin when it was near the net!

I run 40# leaders now (as I think some guys on here suggested), and I think that works much better than the light ones I used before.

As for that 350 yards Farny's fish took [:0] ...well I knew there was a reason for telling the guy filling my reels to put on "as much line as you can possibly get on." [8D] I'm guessing it was about 350 yards.

One day I hope to snag a monster fish, and I hope to have enough line on my reel when I do. :D

Hi, Farny.

Congrats on the awesome fish. That's worth braggin rights anywhere on the coast. Especially here in the lower straight, that's a fish of a lifetime in these parts.

Hey, black dog.

After calling me Thebigoof in your last post you wrote, and I quote.

"(note to forum) This will be my last post"

Guess we know Farney's far more believable than you. You just couldn't resist coming back to stir it up again could you.

40 lb leaders?!

For short leaders for hootchies i understand, but that seems like overkill.

I know no one wants to break a leader, but if you break off a fish even with 25 lb you're doing something wrong.

And i don't think you'll be elegible for the world record with anything more than 25 lb test... :D

40 for leaders is all about imparting action to the lure from the flasher - nothing more.

As for 40lb main line, I think you are taking it too far. Do you realize how much pressure you would have to apply to your rod to break 30lb main line? If you are holding your rod at a 45 degree angle most rods would explode before that 30lb main line broke, let alone 40lb.

Originally posted by farny

fished bell boy yesterday got a 47 spring and lost a nice one to the seals at the cap

If yesterday was the Wednesday the 26th then you where very fortunate. I was in a derby with firefighters on the 26th and there were only 3 salmon caught for the whole derby with about 120 guys fishing.Largest salmon was a whopping 12lber. Started at the bell buoy, moved to the QA then moved into the mouth of the Cap for the flood tide. A lot of good fisherman out fishing along with some local guides with virtually everyone getting skunked. What time did you catch your fish at the Bell Buoy?

I caught it at about 2:30 there was only one other boat there when i got out there, I was just trolling over from the cap,

It is amazing how many doubters there are, wow if I would have said it was 10 pounds no one would care, and so what if the fireman got 3 fish out of 120 guys,and so what if there was good fisherman and local guides there, wtf does that have to do with it.How do you know Im not Ted frickin Peck? , yes I caught the fish , yes it was 47 pounds ,get the hell over it next time , if I get a fish that size again Ill go boat to boat to confirm it with everyone out on the water

Back