Fishing SOOKE secretary island

wolf

Well for fun Id thought I go troll down that way the other day and must admit was totally disappointed with what i saw... Someone is in the process of building a brand new house right on top of possession pt hill where they turn around was/is. i know I knew it was coming one day but still saddens me as Ive fished sooke for over 40 years kinda left a bad taste as now that beauty is gone the rugged shoreline as they are building trails with concrete and even a sundeck off to the side???

Thought it was kinda weird to the design of the place its just a box with big windows on the south side but just 1 tiny window on the west side of it????and 1 on the east side of it??? with that view and the money spend id tell you id want to look at that view 360 !!!!.

I posted this as I was completely taken back by seeing it there just wanted my fellow fisherman to know what to expect.
And if you know who ever is building it congrats on a really nice spot still sad but hey that's development.....

Wolf

I had the same feeling when I saw it too, Roy. Changes changes...
T2

Last edited by a moderator:
Same here.

"Possession Pt. house" quite a statement... not a lot of yard work I suppose

2013-05-26 17.16.54.jpg

I hope he likes the smell of two stokes in the morning. :rolleyes:

You dont think there going to let him build a dock or something in the water?

Nice pic Gypseas I don't quite get the deck so far away from the house??? but hey if I had that kinda money you do what you want dont ya...

How many days are they going to be able to sit on a nice warm deck? lol The trees around there aren't bent over almost to the ground from snow load. LOL

Tried fishing from that rock a few times some years ago and hiked around it. I wonder if they are now on sewers? Lets hope we don’t see some test dye leaking down the rocks at some future date from a septic system as I have seen in some other rocky coastal housing developments.

Those little bays on either side are critical fish habitat and it would have been much better had Possession Point been included in East Sooke Park.

Have fished off that point for many years and this will certainly affect the experience.

I saw a huge add in the sooke paper a couple weeks ago. I could easily be mistaken, but I thought it was advertising small cottages ON the ocean starting at 2-300,000. something like that. I got the impression this was one of Many small buildings going up on the point. But again, I just quickly glanced at the add and don't remember for sure.....

Maybe a new fishing tradition should be started...
When you arrive at Possession. Blast your horn to say good morning and everyone fishing already should give a blast to say good morning back. LOL

This will be another eyesore, just like driving back to sooke harbour and seeing the birdhouse condos at Sooke Harbour and the new Prestige.
Not the image of Sooke that I remember from the past.

I guess it is just progression.

Tips

Just read the story in the Colonist. So exactly where are they proposing to put this new 115 berth marina? Hope it is not anywhere near Possession Point, especially the little bays that are around it that are full of bait fish and the salmon that feed on them and the anglers boats who fish them.

What a disaster that would be for one of the iconic historical fishing spots on our coast from many perspectives including environmental. Let us hope the local and other governments keep their collective heads out of their backsides on this one.

Read it too. Wow!

As your coming out past wiffin spit on your left there is a semi break wall and work being done I bet that's where the marina will go.

The developer should push the envelope and build a suspended fishing pier out from possession point to about the 120ft mark. Residents only fishing dock. If you pay they will raise the dock up so you can do a couple passes. Brilliant!

All joking aside I want to be on the water when the first resident flips out at the 150 boats going back and forth all day infront of his new $500,000 cottage.

I thought folks moved away from town to get away from the crowds; you might as well buy a spot in the Otter Trailer Park

Read it too. Wow!

As your coming out past wiffin spit on your left there is a semi break wall and work being done I bet that's where the marina will go.

I heard the DFO put a stop work order on that marina, some sort of degradation of fish habitat

All joking aside I want to be on the water when the first resident flips out at the 150 boats going back and forth all day infront of his new $500,000 cottage.

Did you see Tips tongue in cheek reference to the tradition of the morning Air Horn greeting, not that the roar of all the boats arriving on a Derby weekend won't be greeting enough, especially those stroker motor inboards.

There may be some complaining just like those who buy $600,000. Condos on Victoria Harbour for the waterfront and then complain about the harbour boat and seaplane noise.

TELL you one thing ill be making noise with my boat going there!!!!LOL

Unbelievable! Speechless really. Glad I threw a really nice new horn on the rig this year. Looks like she'll get use after all. :D

Just a note that there have been slander suits related to the development so watch the P's and Q's on this thread.

Wasn't there last season pull up on opening day and there appear this big house like he could cast from his take of that maison and I liked somebody's idea on blowing there horn when they get there

Back