FISHING SALMON IN THE STAMP?

S

saltybeaver

I'm going to let the boat have a weekend off and try out the stamp, There is coho and springs in there right now .Anybody being fishing there, anything worth wile cought ? Should we fish the upper or lower part ?

Chris

Just returned from a day on the lower. Lots and lots of hoes just waiting to visit the dentist, but very few springs around. A few nice summers being taken on the lower still as well. All in all a fantastic last day of Summer. Sure hope the springs are just late, the rumor I heard yesterday at the tackle shop is that the latest swim counted only 2000 in the whole system. If that number doesn't grow a lot over the next month or so, look out in 4 and 5 years time, the whole freakin' coast will be closed again.

Good thing they had those seine openings, eh?

Bob

Just returned from a day on the lower. Lots and lots of hoes just waiting to visit the dentist, but very few springs around. A few nice summers being taken on the lower still as well. All in all a fantastic last day of Summer. Sure hope the springs are just late, the rumor I heard yesterday at the tackle shop is that the latest swim counted only 2000 in the whole system. If that number doesn't grow a lot over the next month or so, look out in 4 and 5 years time, the whole freakin' coast will be closed again.

Good thing they had those seine openings, eh?

Bob

Hey Gooey, was ya angling around the bucket or up? Got the same report on sunday from a top rod. Hoe's shown up in numbers well before the main push of springs has got to make one worry about this season, let alone 4-5 years from now..
Get in touch, it's day to day on those summers once we get the 1-2" of skywater that we need..-dirty

Hey Gooey, was ya angling around the bucket or up? Got the same report on sunday from a top rod. Hoe's shown up in numbers well before the main push of springs has got to make one worry about this season, let alone 4-5 years from now..
Get in touch, it's day to day on those summers once we get the 1-2" of skywater that we need..-dirty

Thank you for that info . Gooey Bob I was going to float down the river with a couple buddys but from what you are saying it does not sound like it is very good fishing right now . Do you think its a waste of a good fishing day ? I hear they are biting on blue fox's any othere sugestions.
Chris

Thank you for that info . Gooey Bob I was going to float down the river with a couple buddys but from what you are saying it does not sound like it is very good fishing right now . Do you think its a waste of a good fishing day ? I hear they are biting on blue fox's any othere sugestions.
Chris

Dirty:

Was actually fishing the bucket but only for about 3 hours mid morning and the action was quite good at times. First time there myself, but was with buddies who were quite familiar with the program. Interesting to say the least. Kind of reminded of the type of fishing we used on certain rivers on the mainland where you could also see the fish move in and sight fish for them.

Waiting on sky water myself to chase some summs around. Then perhaps you Bretzky and myself can head out as discussed at April Point? I have Monday off and am planning on hitting the Nitty to do battle with some boots. If the river looks too low (I'll talk to Gary first)then it'll be back to the Stamp. Gimme a call if you've got the time to make a cast or two.

Gooey

Dirty:

Was actually fishing the bucket but only for about 3 hours mid morning and the action was quite good at times. First time there myself, but was with buddies who were quite familiar with the program. Interesting to say the least. Kind of reminded of the type of fishing we used on certain rivers on the mainland where you could also see the fish move in and sight fish for them.

Waiting on sky water myself to chase some summs around. Then perhaps you Bretzky and myself can head out as discussed at April Point? I have Monday off and am planning on hitting the Nitty to do battle with some boots. If the river looks too low (I'll talk to Gary first)then it'll be back to the Stamp. Gimme a call if you've got the time to make a cast or two.

Gooey

With SEVEN commercial gillnet openings (up to 42 boats!) FOUR seine openings, and a handfull of FN openings all targetting the springs, why would anyone be even mildly suprised that we might just be facing a run failure this year??

Bad action DFO!

PO'd
Nog

With SEVEN commercial gillnet openings (up to 42 boats!) FOUR seine openings, and a handfull of FN openings all targetting the springs, why would anyone be even mildly suprised that we might just be facing a run failure this year??

Bad action DFO!

PO'd
Nog

Hey Bob, ya the bucket is exactly what you were pertaining to on the mainland side. Floss central.
As for the trip with Bretzky, ya the water has got to fall. He won't be back from his moose trip till next week.
I talked to the Gar a couple of day's ago and it is still pretty bleak on the Nitty. He said there are a bunch of fish down low, but of course it is on their land. I will keep in touch over the next week. I am busy with work for the next while.cheers-dirty

Hey Bob, ya the bucket is exactly what you were pertaining to on the mainland side. Floss central.
As for the trip with Bretzky, ya the water has got to fall. He won't be back from his moose trip till next week.
I talked to the Gar a couple of day's ago and it is still pretty bleak on the Nitty. He said there are a bunch of fish down low, but of course it is on their land. I will keep in touch over the next week. I am busy with work for the next while.cheers-dirty

Nog:

The latest numbers from Stamp Falls show the Chinook run tracking pretty much at 2002 levels so potentially things could be OK for the predicted escapement of 33,000 or so fish in to the river. I fear a failed run because it has implications for a huge segment of the tidal fishery in the following return years for 4 & 5 year olds(2009, 2010). If indeed the run does fail, and looking at the way the fishery was "managed" this season, then perhaps some heads should roll in DFO offices! Fat chance of that happening though...I guess only time and rain will tell. Coho seem to be tracking way above normal. Perhaps the run is just early, or maybe there will be a huge swarm of them arrive this season.

Anyway, guess I'll go have a first hand look on Monday. At the least is likely to be a beautiful day on the river...

Bob

Nog:

The latest numbers from Stamp Falls show the Chinook run tracking pretty much at 2002 levels so potentially things could be OK for the predicted escapement of 33,000 or so fish in to the river. I fear a failed run because it has implications for a huge segment of the tidal fishery in the following return years for 4 & 5 year olds(2009, 2010). If indeed the run does fail, and looking at the way the fishery was "managed" this season, then perhaps some heads should roll in DFO offices! Fat chance of that happening though...I guess only time and rain will tell. Coho seem to be tracking way above normal. Perhaps the run is just early, or maybe there will be a huge swarm of them arrive this season.

Anyway, guess I'll go have a first hand look on Monday. At the least is likely to be a beautiful day on the river...

Bob

The answer to the arrival of the coho is pretty simple, they got tired of waiting for something that is not coming. Yet again the d.f.o. has simply *&%$ up.-dirty

I floated down the river on saturday from the falls pool to paper mill dam.
The hole river was one big school of coho,when you would get to the deeper spots you could see the schools of springs racing around, Everybody seem to be using a foat with wool or spin and glow. almost everybody we pasted had fish ,lots of bears . Found a lot of new spots to fish when winter comes arond. Beautiful day all in all.
Chris

Hey Boys
Spend the afternoon with stealie man at the park....not much of anything passing through at all...Few spotted but slim to non caught
I figure they are all shooting up and sitting below the falls. Anyone have any updates for the upper within the last few days???

Cheers
Spanky

Guy I know was there yesterday, had his limit and was back in Nanaimo by 11 and said there was lots goin through.

guess we missed.... o well had beer was all good, give her a try tomorrow or something...

Back