Fishing plugs: Rattle or no Rattle?

Sea lyin’

I’m a plug fisherman for the most part. I fish fresh water mostly and seems to me rainbows are shy to hit a plug that’s too noisy. At least in my experience anyways. How about the salt water? Do you guys fish rattles or find that the no rattle plugs catch more fish? I’ve got a few plugs I use In the ocean and they produce for me but I wonder if I’m missing the boat by not using rattles?

I would have to look what the number is but I do have a rattler that does well. It's basically white glow with grey spots red front. Seems to produce

I have used rattlers in the past with success, but as to whether or not they out fish non-rattlers I have no clue. There are very few rattler plugs for sale at retail locations, which may be saying something. It seems Salmon respond well to the low frequency vibrations of a rotating flasher, dunno about the higher frequency of rattles.

I'd call Tomic directly & ask as to the popularity of rattler plugs & the best way to get the exact plug you want is to order direct from Tomic.
I am VERY big on their "uvbii" plugs; ultraviolet body iridescent insert plugs with a glow belly.

I have used rattlers in the past with success, but as to whether or not they out fish non-rattlers I have no clue. There are very few rattler plugs for sale at retail locations, which may be saying something. It seems Salmon respond well to the low frequency vibrations of a rotating flasher, dunno about the higher frequency of rattles.

I'd call Tomic directly & ask as to the popularity of rattler plugs & the best way to get the exact plug you want is to order direct from Tomic.
I am VERY big on their "uvbii" plugs; ultraviolet body iridescent insert plugs with a glow belly.
Thanks for the reply. I’m in the interior and seems like almost everything I can find here for plugs has rattles. Unfortunate really as my best plugs are the none rattle type. Mostly I fish older Macs squids and lymans in the 4” size. My go to plug for ocean fishing is a Tomic #700 in 6”. And you guessed it, no rattles. It’s caught fish of every type and size. Sometimes seems like all I have to do is wave it at the water and it’ll pull in fish. Fishing rainbows, never caught a decent one on a plug with rattles.

not sure about the chuck but on the big lakes I always start with a plug on one side but seems the good o'l 4" Apex seems to outfish them about 5-1. I"ve towed all kinds of Lymans and cranks but sent seems to be the tipping point between a good day or just getting gear wet.

Back