Fishing Pliers what do you use?

Captain PartyMarty

Crew Member
Hey Guy's

This season I have been using a pair of Berkely fishing pliers http://www.berkley-fishing.com/products/tools-and-equipment/classics/pliers-8-12-split-ring.

I love that these pliers have so many diffrent functions integrated which is why I continue to use them. There are however two issues I have with them which has gotten me thinking there might be a better option

1) The ones I bought said Stainless construction with a corrosion resistant coating. This is however not really the case these plier rust, the coating is pealing and the underlying material is not stainless. The hinge is constantly rusted and blocked

2) the spring mechanism is such a POS I ended up removing it even though I like the idea of it being spring loaded

So what do you guy's use is there a better option or are rusty pliers just a fact life

Some crappy tire Chinese stainless probably similar to wait you have.

Stainless my butt it might have been stainless out of the package but that didn't last one trip. Now they are really stiff and its a struggle to even pinch a barb properly with them.

Ill be watching this thread and adding the best pair to my Christmas list because I need an upgrade in the pliers department too.

Blacktip pliers from West Marine. I've tried everything. I have found these to be the best yet. Blacktip equipment does not rust like most stainless knifes/pliers/snips I've used although nothing is rust proof in my experience and they will get "some" rust spots but nothing like previous equipment I've had. They are not cheap, but, at $ 35 it'll last you till you drop them off the gunnel. I love the scissors/snips they have as well;

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...toreNum=50842&subdeptNum=50904&classNum=50905

Great tool for trimming line, and, when I clean fish, I cut thru large bones like the back bone behind head when you're trying to keep the fillets attached to tail for transporting. They are spring loaded.

I just picked up a pair of these, and so far I love them. A very strong grip with the hooked tip, and the pouch clips comfortably.

Definitly need a better lanyard though

Pliers

I bought a pair of coated ones....no idea what the coating is but they are almost black metal or charcoal with black and red handles. Got them a Home Depot and they are the best for the dollar I have ever bought. In saying that I haven't tried some of the ones mentioned like Pescador and aheny referenced.

I'd take a look at the brand but my kit is on my buddies boat.

Unless you are buying pliers made of 316 marine grade stainless they will rust. Very few if anyone will go to the expense of using 316 material...

The key is to keep some penetrating oil on board and just drop a drop in the hinge connection whenever they get tight. That way you can still use your cheap pliers!

Work well for any stuck bolts, and you can use on a reel etc in a pinch...

Donnmar Stainless-used to be about $50 but they're 3x as much now-crazy price-as good as they are I'd never pay that much unless I needed an excuse to spend money.

CP850EX.gif

If you know any surgeons ask em for a pair:) Long needle nose with a curve in them..

I keep one very good pair like leatherman on board that are capable of cutting stainless steel hooks-they stay in the cabin for emergency use-the stuff on the back deck are cheap Chinese stuff-turfed if they don't perform and usually changed every year. I learned the very hard way while fishing in the Persian Gulf-most crap pliers will not cut a big Rapala treble or double hook-A leatherman will-something to think about TOONER Slayers!!! Finding this out while it is jammed through your hand is not a good way to start the day!!!LOL

I bought a couple pairs last summer at Wal-Mart, found the in the fishing section. Long needle nose, cirle ring hook on the end, cutter, stripper, they work amazing. No rust at all through the season and are still in great shape. I have to take the spring out as I didn't like how they aways opened. I was back there last week and they did not have any, wish I would have kept the package as there are great pliers, thinking they were in the $15 range.

If anyone else remembers these and had a name please share.

Rusty german made steel pliers from decades ago that I inherited. I keep them oiled periodically and give then a scrub with steel wool on occasion. Works for me. Small needlenose vise grip pliers for heavy cutting and crimping needs.

I just get a cheap pair of wire cutters and a cheap pair of flat nose type. Don't worry about losing them, and just stick them in the salt chuck for a few seconds to loosen them up, if they are stiff. I keep my split ring pliers in my tackle box.

I've got a pair of regular 12" 15 degree offset pliers from Princess Auto for hook release ($12 I think). Also a pair of Klein side cutters ($40) with the tips ground down ( blew one side up cutting a live wire) for cutting everything. Neither are stainless. I don't store them, they sit out in the elements. When the surface rust builds up I just take some fine sand paper or emery cloth to them quickly and hit them with a touch of the aluminum colour Tremclad I have for the trailer to keep the rust off a bit longer. The secret with the rivets is the Fluid Film. I find once that stuff gets all the way into the joint there isn't a better product on the market. I use it on all my hand tools for work as well. I had to re-apply it twice throughout the summer which isn't bad considering the conditions they are kept in.

I buy the cheap Brico ones for $ 3 each by the box. They seem to last me as long as the expensive ones that get knocked/fall overboard or rust up.

I also went cheap and got a Crappy Tire special after losing too many Leathermen etc. Got these in a kit that included a cheap filet knife, pliers and a digital scale for $20. http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...83370P/Matzuo+Fish+Pliers,+8-in.jsp?locale=en

Amazingly, they are now into their 3rd year. I abuse the crap out of them -- leave them outside all year hanging on the rail. They rust and get stiff, but a shot of WD-40 loosens them up for the season. Made of nickel alloy. The knife which I thought was a use twice and throw away actually gets and stays pretty sharp. Not my primary but a good backup for the buddy who forgets his...

X2 on the Leatherman... longer nose pliers also on board are cheapo Chinese throwaways

http://www.coastportland.com/9.htm

Had mine for the past 5-6 years, they are not pretty or shiny anymore but they do their job.

I bought a couple pairs last summer at Wal-Mart, found the in the fishing section. Long needle nose, cirle ring hook on the end, cutter, stripper, they work amazing. No rust at all through the season and are still in great shape. I have to take the spring out as I didn't like how they aways opened. I was back there last week and they did not have any, wish I would have kept the package as there are great pliers, thinking they were in the $15 range.

If anyone else remembers these and had a name please share.

Same cheap pliers as the harbourfreight model. Over 10 years old and still going with the occasional oiling and a polish with Wenol. I wear a Gerber multi-tool for anything demanding.

Back