Fishing Pliers what do you use?

I hate to say it but when you see prices like that for Abel pliers it makes you think twice about what they are charging for the reels. Hard to see the 'value'. Some dudes like to spend money though and often equate a high price with better quality. Not always the case as marketers key into that emotion and take people for a ride. If you don't believe it, look in your wifes closet.

I bought a combo of needle nose and side cutters from cabela's some time ago. the pliers are out where they can collect moisture so get rusty no matter the coating. when things get stuck I squirt Corrosion X on them and work it in, makes'um functional again. at the end of the season, i'll use some naval jelly to clean them up really well. I think I spent about twenty bucks 6 years ago on this set so have nothing to complain about. the abel pliers are a work of art but hardly worth the price they want for them. several other major reel makers also have pliers in that same stratosphere.

and as I said before, unless you are chasing really large big game fish, spending huge amounts of money on a knuckle buster abel reel would have to be 'cause you want one. if you are subtropic fishing for big mean fish, the abel's will be worth their weight but salmon? I could not justify that sort of reel for salmon even though I have 4 abel's in various sizes for trophy fishing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a pair of plastic fishing pliers from boaters exchange for $1. They work great for unhooking fish. For pinching barbs, cutting line, snap rings, I have a pair of cheapies from Walmart. They live in an oil soaked sheath up front outta the rain. The oiled up sheath is an idea I got from no bananas and it works great.

I keep one very good pair like leatherman on board that are capable of cutting stainless steel hooks-they stay in the cabin for emergency use-the stuff on the back deck are cheap Chinese stuff-turfed if they don't perform and usually changed every year. I learned the very hard way while fishing in the Persian Gulf-most crap pliers will not cut a big Rapala treble or double hook-A leatherman will-something to think about TOONER Slayers!!! Finding this out while it is jammed through your hand is not a good way to start the day!!!LOL

Spring Fever makes a very good point about being able to cut hooks. Want to drop some ca$h??? Try looking at a pair of titanium Van Staals. Now there's a pair of pliers that will last a lifetime.

I bought some www.holdzit.com tool holders this year, so far very happy. Seem like they are made with bed liner and have foam inside that you squirt your favourite lube into. Works fine with my $9.99 cabelas pliers and $4 dexter bait knife

image.jpg

Very best,

Ian

Thanks,Gypseas. I'll give wallyworld a try. Not interested in the Rapala's. Gone through a couple of them already. Time
to give another brand a go!

I had for years a pair of westmarine pliers. They were made of 316 stainless and never rusted or seized up... I lost them overboard a year back. I have not been able to find a plier as good as these....And they were only 20.00. Best pliers I ever owned and they don't make them anymore..

Most are made with 304 to save money, and are just crap.

I use these ones too they sell them at Tyee Marine

Back