Fishing lodges recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have fished at a good number of lodges over the last 30 years from Haida Gwaii to Port Renfrew and i have to say my most favorite spot is King Pacific in Milbanke Sound. the fact that the lodge is a 2-3 minute boat ride to Cheney Point is a huge plus and McInnes Island has given me some of my best fishing memories.
plus the fact that you have a good chance of catching your fish of a lifetime there doesn't hurt!

I have a buddy who goes there every year......he raves about it. He too has been to a number of lodges but says King Pacific stands out amongst all he has visited.

i hope this helps....but as a veteran i have done 25 lodges on Coast and Haida Gwaii so JMO....i dont work for any of them....so i can say in General in past 10 years the choices have been cut down by over 50% and the costs in someplace reflect the changes to market to upscale tourist type fisher people....The great cuisine and the over embellishment of the area.....and the costs have skyrocketed....So my first comments are Value....do you value the potential to catch salmon and Halibut....Do you see a alternative to open water fishing where maybe the conditions with a North Westerly can make you feel uncomfortable...and then Cost

1) Sandspit Adventures
found this place because i wanted to stay in Haida Gwaii as its got best potential bar none( yes i have done Milbanke for 8 years and Rivers also and Rupert and west side of Van island

This a direct flight air canada and 10 minute drive to lodge....a converted basic motel...comforable....and good meals but by no means the over the top cuisine of a King Pacific, Langara, West Coast Fishing club or QCL.....They have 6 bad boy custom built jet boats that they fish 2 or 3 per boat...30 footers with heated cabin.....Yes your warm all the time or sheltered from sun....They travel 40 miles down skiddegate channel to west Side....unlike Hippa or englefied main salmon spots are sheltered...ho issue with sea sickness.....i was their June and early August last year and we boated 50 Springs a day ....and easily limited out on hali and lings.....Biggest salmon among 18 guests was 28 lb salmon and we released several Hali over 80 lbs....if you have fished Hippa in prime time then you know you can run into 50 springs a day per boat.....RACK RATE IS ABOUT $5000 FOR A 4 DAY ON THE WATER WITH 3 PER BOAT....AIR FARE IS A EXTRA $800 AIR CANADA.....FOR 4 DAYS ON THE WATER AND 5 NIGHTS....note because only 6 boats....not a crowded fishing....I am 75 years old and i dont want to sit in an open whaler and bounce around in a northwesterly in the rain all day.....so this one is my favourite

2) West Coast Fishing Club-
Fished both locations the Clubhouse on West Side and the Langara lodge
At the Clubhouse....it's a 8 mile run to Hippa where the Fish are....We had to go there in Mid August.....we got beat up in big water on the west side fishing in open water......not fun....one in 10 days is flat on west side of Haida Gwaii.....and my trip their was disappointing .....i like the Langara location....as you can fish either side of the island for protection....WCFC are fabulous hosts....But its price point is high....but if money is not an object i like that they have down riggers....and staff is great and food and lodge is great....It will cost you most likely for a comparable boat an upgrade of $1000 over the boats at Sandspit Adventures.....It's a different fishery.....than skiddgate west side....i dont think you run into 50 springs a day....but it's close by and again i think a 5 star experience

3 Langara---same quality and Price points of a WCFC....and service and food outstanding.....do not use down riggers...which means they are limited in large part to staying on east side of island....The bottom end self guided boats are small open boats.....and their Barge lodge is not the 5 star presentation of the top lodge.....or the WCFC lodge on the hill.....i have fished out of all 3 locations.....Self guided and fully guided...Again you are up at the $8000 mark for fully guided upgraded boats.....plus tips......

4 Queen Charlotte Lodge
i know reviews look good but you have a long run from Naden harbour to open water fishing....and your stuck....they do have a boat called Driftwood at mouth of Baden Harbour....Be prepared for long waits at masset airport for Heli jet....they are moving over 100 guests......north West or North East Blows....you have no alternative.....i feel that your chances for a tyee are better here than the West side of Haida Gwaii but you wont run in mass numbers of springs.....Price point is up there.....Go to Langara or WCFC if you want a overall better situation or Sandspit fishing adventures...more rustic...but extrodinary mecca fishing

i hope this helps....but as a veteran i have done 25 lodges on Coast and Haida Gwaii so JMO....i dont work for any of them....so i can say in General in past 10 years the choices have been cut down by over 50% and the costs in someplace reflect the changes to market to upscale tourist type fisher people....The great cuisine and the over embellishment of the area.....and the costs have skyrocketed....So my first comments are Value....do you value the potential to catch salmon and Halibut....Do you see a alternative to open water fishing where maybe the conditions with a North Westerly can make you feel uncomfortable...and then Cost

1) Sandspit Adventures
found this place because i wanted to stay in Haida Gwaii as its got best potential bar none( yes i have done Milbanke for 8 years and Rivers also and Rupert and west side of Van island

This a direct flight air canada and 10 minute drive to lodge....a converted basic motel...comforable....and good meals but by no means the over the top cuisine of a King Pacific, Langara, West Coast Fishing club or QCL.....They have 6 bad boy custom built jet boats that they fish 2 or 3 per boat...30 footers with heated cabin.....Yes your warm all the time or sheltered from sun....They travel 40 miles down skiddegate channel to west Side....unlike Hippa or englefied main salmon spots are sheltered...ho issue with sea sickness.....i was their June and early August last year and we boated 50 Springs a day ....and easily limited out on hali and lings.....Biggest salmon among 18 guests was 28 lb salmon and we released several Hali over 80 lbs....if you have fished Hippa in prime time then you know you can run into 50 springs a day per boat.....RACK RATE IS ABOUT $5000 FOR A 4 DAY ON THE WATER WITH 3 PER BOAT....AIR FARE IS A EXTRA $800 AIR CANADA.....FOR 4 DAYS ON THE WATER AND 5 NIGHTS....note because only 6 boats....not a crowded fishing....I am 75 years old and i dont want to sit in an open whaler and bounce around in a northwesterly in the rain all day.....so this one is my favourite

2) West Coast Fishing Club-
Fished both locations the Clubhouse on West Side and the Langara lodge
At the Clubhouse....it's a 8 mile run to Hippa where the Fish are....We had to go there in Mid August.....we got beat up in big water on the west side fishing in open water......not fun....one in 10 days is flat on west side of Haida Gwaii.....and my trip their was disappointing .....i like the Langara location....as you can fish either side of the island for protection....WCFC are fabulous hosts....But its price point is high....but if money is not an object i like that they have down riggers....and staff is great and food and lodge is great....It will cost you most likely for a comparable boat an upgrade of $1000 over the boats at Sandspit Adventures.....It's a different fishery.....than skiddgate west side....i dont think you run into 50 springs a day....but it's close by and again i think a 5 star experience

3 Langara---same quality and Price points of a WCFC....and service and food outstanding.....do not use down riggers...which means they are limited in large part to staying on east side of island....The bottom end self guided boats are small open boats.....and their Barge lodge is not the 5 star presentation of the top lodge.....or the WCFC lodge on the hill.....i have fished out of all 3 locations.....Self guided and fully guided...Again you are up at the $8000 mark for fully guided upgraded boats.....plus tips......

4 Queen Charlotte Lodge
i know reviews look good but you have a long run from Naden harbour to open water fishing....and your stuck....they do have a boat called Driftwood at mouth of Baden Harbour....Be prepared for long waits at masset airport for Heli jet....they are moving over 100 guests......north West or North East Blows....you have no alternative.....i feel that your chances for a tyee are better here than the West side of Haida Gwaii but you wont run in mass numbers of springs.....Price point is up there.....Go to Langara or WCFC if you want a overall better situation or Sandspit fishing adventures...more rustic...but extrodinary mecca fishing

What was your tyee count at Rivers? Not important to me, and you don't do a Rivers review, but maybe to others it is.

Correction in my email....West Coast fishing Club.....the Outpost is the west side and the Clubhouse is bottom of langara.....Again at Clubhouse i ran into big unprotected water....and the run was 8 miles to Hippa where there were a few fish....almost unfishable so rough...over and hour and a half to return to lodge....miserable....their Langara lodge is wonderful...great staff...great boats...and you could self guide as being at the bottom of the island you can choose which side....they have down riggers to which means if they go to west side in bigger water they are not using 8 oz weights moohing and can get gear down....i will ad a couple of thoughts on Central Coast

King Pacifc---so your fishing the river inlet run ....chances of running into a big spring ....But i fished the area for 8 years.....the operators the Cuthbert's are great people and seriously good at what they operate here...Luxury....is the fishing as good as Haida Gwaii....i prefer this one over QCL....for comfort...and risk of weather....but westerly can keep you in St Johns Harbour for sure.....But you are paying for the 5 start lodge...Lanagara, Wcfc, and Sandspit Adventures will out fish.....Note....Sandsipt Adventures is not as good lodge wise....more homecooking...but boats are much much better .....30 foot heated cabins.....and as i said our boat had 50 springs a day to the boat....but only one over 25 lbs on the trip.....And Hali Fishing is better than the other lodges for the most part...Again my experience only.....At King Pacific the main fishing grounds of Cheney Point are only 5 minutes from the lodge....and that is really nice because the hot tub and food in the lodge are fantastic,.....I applaud George and Lisa......it's nice to go to a place where the owners are there to greet you....The feeling is your coming home to visit the family.....i do want to go back to Milbanke some day to see George and Lisa...So it's about what you want.....price range $5000 to $8000 per person...Watch though for the upgrades.....at Sandspit no upgrade price your into custom built 30 foot cabins with 250 hp power on the back and you will be comfortable....King pacific.....you're close to lodge...Langara and Wcfc close to lodge......Oh skip Rivers inlet...my worst trip ever was Black Gold lodge....cheap and cheap for a reason.....everything bad....if you want to do Rivers...and self guide the Sportsman lodge is clean and well run by the Kelly family....But its Rivers inlet.....Its inconsistent.......Duncanby i have not been to...great reviews but i wont pay the price point in Rivers inlet if i can go to Haidai Gwaii,...Duncanby are great marketers.....and people seem happy.....and thats what its about....

North King Lodge or King Pacific Lodge.
Both fly ins out of Bella. Not sure if North King is Guided
North is guided and self guided...King pacific....is Guided and instructor program...1/2 guided and 1/2 unguided...They want alot more for guided and your tip will also cost you $500...by the time your done...

Second Eagle Nook for Barkley Sound. We stayed last year and brought our own boats in. You can also fly in. Dan who runs it extremely organized. Food also is very good.
Eagle Nook....sorry very expensive....for price go to Charlottes....no charter service from Vancouver...it's on your bill....but if you want boat in that is a different situation.....This a tourist trip from Vancouver......i was first guest ever here....it went bankrupt years ago ...called Lodge at Effingham at the time.....Seriously....overpriced

If they are considering taking their father whom may be an elderly gentleman I wouldn’t put a lot of thought into Oli’s in Winter Harbour as we all know WH can be some pretty rough water. Yes it’s good fishing but no better than any place else on the west side. If it’s a family run with people who may not be all that water familiar I would be looking at Nootka, kyuquot, Tofino, Ukee or Barkley sound. If it were me I would seriously consider one of the lodges inside Nootka say the first week of August. That way you have the full option of staying inside the sound to fish in lake calm water on many days. There are a few of them in Nootka I’m sure pretty well all of them run first class operations. Most of the Nootka lodges are easy drive too or they can pick you up at an easy to drive to location and take you all in. Same goes for Barkely sound, easy drive to pick up locations to get to the lodges and easy access to great fishing and easy water.
Long long trip from Van...if you want to take your boat okay....but cost wise and protected waters you might be surprised if you do not want open big seas.....go to a nice lodge...in Haida Gwaii or a King Pacific.....you have to go offshore 90% of the time out of a Winter harbour.....and 90% of time we are talking 10 to 15 miles of rough water......Sandspit Adventures, King Pacifc, Joes Salmon Lodge, West Coast Fishing Club and Langara...you dont want to take your dad who is a senior off shore Vancouver Island....i know i am 75 and have been to 25 lodges

Eagle Nook....sorry very expensive....for price go to Charlottes....no charter service from Vancouver...it's on your bill....but if you want boat in that is a different situation.....This a tourist trip from Vancouver......i was first guest ever here....it went bankrupt years ago ...called Lodge at Effingham at the time.....Seriously....overpriced

Nope.

when you evaluate price....look at hard costs to get to lodge...do rate include transportation costs....average out your per day costs...and i can only speak to my experiences fishing out of a lodge or the area....over 9000 hours on the water.....do your own DD on the lodges and the area...i know Barkely sound ...if you wish to challenge my comments please post your comments ...the question asked by one poster taking his senior dad fishing.....Well...not a great idea to go to West Coast of Vancouver Island of West Coast of Haida Gwaiii( exception Sandspit adventures) boats custom built with heated cabins and they fish behind Marble island..... Your comment NOPE........it's going to be 12 to 14 hours out of Van to get to a West Coast of Van island northern lodge....if you drive and they pick you up another hour on Water maybe,,,,,just my opinion

I have a buddy who goes there every year......he raves about it. He too has been to a number of lodges but says King Pacific stands out amongst all he has visited.
Has your buddy been to North King, Langara, West Coast Fishing Club...similar price points...i have been to them all....All good operators....i have done 15 trips to Milbanke sound...15 trips to Haida Gwaii and 8 trips to North King!

What was your tyee count at Rivers? Not important to me, and you don't do a Rivers review, but maybe to others it is.
Tyee count.....hmn....been too Rivers 4 times.....careful on your lodge selection....some very cheap unguided and not good equip.....But i never caught a tyee....and never came close....one group of 15 people i took to Rivers,,,,,only 4 springs in Group....and a handful of cohoes....One trip a Chum and a few pinks in group....one trip the lodge owners had trout hooks on the gear....LOL....i brought my own which i bought at Pacific Twine.....People will tell you it's not a 3 month season like Haida Gwaii.....it's like fishing in a big lake.....i would prefer to fish Hakai or Milbanke area close to all the kelp beds.....Joes is a great lodge in Hakai...rustic but great......King Pacific is you upscale 5 start hotel run by great operators....they're both great operators.....one is like camping out and the other is your Marriot luxury suites.....one has big fancy boats and one small whalers a do it yourself proposition....I wont go back to Rivers inlet.....When you ask about Tyees.....it's deceptive....you can have a lodge say they caught 50 tyees in a season....and maybe 4 a trip...thats 35 guests.....and does a 20 spring fight more than a tyee...sometimes....my biggest is 51 lbs...but i have not caught a tyee in 12 years.....lots in the 20 s....and you most likely will not catch one all summer if you fish everyday....its trophy hunting....But if your a guest do you want to troll around for 8 hours and catch 10 springs or no springs .....marketing for fishing lodges is showing blue skies and quiet waters....they dont tell you that they have 50% of the days i 20 to 30 knott winds in the rain and your a 40 minute to the lodge....

Tyee count.....hmn....been too Rivers 4 times.....careful on your lodge selection....some very cheap unguided and not good equip.....But i never caught a tyee....and never came close....one group of 15 people i took to Rivers,,,,,only 4 springs in Group....and a handful of cohoes....One trip a Chum and a few pinks in group....one trip the lodge owners had trout hooks on the gear....LOL....i brought my own which i bought at Pacific Twine.....People will tell you it's not a 3 month season like Haida Gwaii.....it's like fishing in a big lake.....i would prefer to fish Hakai or Milbanke area close to all the kelp beds.....Joes is a great lodge in Hakai...rustic but great......King Pacific is you upscale 5 start hotel run by great operators....they're both great operators.....one is like camping out and the other is your Marriot luxury suites.....one has big fancy boats and one small whalers a do it yourself proposition....I wont go back to Rivers inlet.....When you ask about Tyees.....it's deceptive....you can have a lodge say they caught 50 tyees in a season....and maybe 4 a trip...thats 35 guests.....and does a 20 spring fight more than a tyee...sometimes....my biggest is 51 lbs...but i have not caught a tyee in 12 years.....lots in the 20 s....and you most likely will not catch one all summer if you fish everyday....its trophy hunting....But if your a guest do you want to troll around for 8 hours and catch 10 springs or no springs .....marketing for fishing lodges is showing blue skies and quiet waters....they dont tell you that they have 50% of the days i 20 to 30 knott winds in the rain and your a 40 minute to the lodge....
Very true! I run down from Kitimat fishing many fishier areas, I won't go back to Rivers. Better chance of catching a Wannock 30+ Spring further north as they're coming down through Rivers heading back into the Wannock. From my experience quantity and larger springs would be later August into September but typically not a good time to be there weather wise. It does amaze me how places like Duncanby even exist or as we've seen continue to build. Really, very few springs for total hours fished but shows what lots of marketing can do as well it is a magnificent lodge along with an incredible location. Rivers is not a fishermans paradise but rather more of an experience I guess and that's ok too!

Last edited:
Well CC might be a new member and he sure has downloaded a lot of info and opinions for one day! But they are first hand experiences from a guy that has been to these places.
Lots of good info in there if you are new to these lodges and deciding where to spend your time and $$.
I like it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back