Fishfinder Questions

Don't let anybody talk you into the structure scan,side scan transducer,they are a complete waste of time when salmon fishing IMOP.I have one that came with my boat,useless,P66 should fit in your budget ,600Watts, not expensive and probably the most popular transducer in use on the coast.

hence why i said a p66 with a good head unit from any of the good makers
garmin lowrance/simrad ray or furno
use that as a sonar and ipad for charts( navionics with sonar charts) . cheapest way to do it .

Don't get a Hummingbird. I find it rather useless in salt and fresh (Helix 7 SI/DI). Lots of options on the unit (too many) but it does not work very well.

So I got a good black friday deal on a elite 9 ti it came with a total scan transducer. Besides the transducer being rediculosly big looking I really dont need all the scan BS that it comes with and it only rocks a 83/200 khz. I'm thinking of selling the transducer and getting a p66 or hdi 50/200. Anyone have any thoughts on this ??. Also my head unit has chirp can anyone tell me if your able to chirp with a p66 or hdi transducer. Sorry if thats a stupid question the info on trannys is abit overwhelming. thx

p66 is std 50/200 thats the salt chuck std and well proven ..... trust us on that one
you could if you wish get a tm 150 m which will give you chrip medium band .....
if you want and are only doing chuck fish and not looking for the bottom detail

tm185 high wide but thats $1500+
so thinking your not going to drop that amount on a transducer and its makes even that total scan look small.

234.jpg

sounder on left is 2009 with p66
right is evo 2 with Airmar SS175- high chirp...
IMG_20160109_162218.jpg

p66 and LSS-2

267.jpg

SS-175 high and low

I would go with something with structure scan. The longer I've had it the more I use it. I would say it's a must if you jig. You can literally pick off suspended fish. When trolling you can do the same. I can see a fish and make adjustments and count down till I have her.
First pic is jigging off a nice shelve, you can see the bait where it should be and the springs below. Those fish were boated. The second pic is trolling, I didn't have to adjust anything but I was ready because I saw the fish and knew I was all over it.

Attachments

• jig.jpg
    jig.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 186
  • troll.jpg
    troll.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 182
I would go with something with structure scan. The longer I've had it the more I use it. I would say it's a must if you jig. You can literally pick off suspended fish. When trolling you can do the same. I can see a fish and make adjustments and count down till I have her.
First pic is jigging off a nice shelve, you can see the bait where it should be and the springs below. Those fish were boated. The second pic is trolling, I didn't have to adjust anything but I was ready because I saw the fish and knew I was all over it.

Jesus christ you're cheating :eek:

Wicked pics hurt locker what transducer you running? I might just rock this total scam transducer for a season and see how it is can always change it out.

Thx for all the input.
Anyone know someone wants a total scan transducer i'm selling one in the for sale thread

hds all the way

Agree here. I have had them for several years and basically get every other version. Gen 1 to Gen 2 Touch and now HDS Carbons. Never had an issue and they do everything I want and more and haven't let me down.

The clarity is great.

Screenshot_2018-11-01_12.38.23-copy.png

It also has great mapping and the ability for live mapping with Navionics as you can see here.

Screenshot_2018-10-10_12.34.30-copy.png

Hey guys,
Im about to buy a fishfinder for my new to me boat and ive got a few questions to throw out here. I'm thinking of going with the lowrance elite 7 and im hoping to hear from anybody that has or had one. Just curios how it preforms for salmon trolling and if anyone thinks theres a better unit for a grand ish ?. More so I would like to hear some opinions on the best transducer to get for fishing strictly in the chuck.. ill be fishing all of the local fisheries (vancouver) and offshore gulf islands. After some research im kinda stuck between a hdi 50/200 khz or the 83/200 khz. What do you guys think the best bet is for trolling in our local waters.

Thx

Cabelas in the States has the Elite 7 on sale for $499.00, which is less than a grand CDN if you can work it out. I habe the Elite TI 9 and love it.

Back