Fishermen. Tune into the Leaders debate this evening.

You can not trust any of them.

But the NDP is pro union. Always has been and always will. More unions and union mentality is the last thing British Columbia needs.

You can not trust any of them.

But the NDP is pro union. Always has been and always will. More unions and union mentality is the last thing British Columbia needs.

Unions give you the right to Bargain Collectively. They also ensure agreed standards and work conditions are maintained particularly with regards to Safety. The goal is to prevent a Worker death or permanent vegetative state like what hapened in the Mushroom Farm incident. No father to their children, no husband to their spouse, taxpayer(that's us) gets stuck with ongoing hospital fees, Employer gets small fine declares bankruptcy changes company name and all is good again. Right Right P.S not sure what you meant by union mentality perhaps you could elaborate on that.

Unions give you the right to Bargain Collectively. They also ensure agreed standards and work conditions are maintained particularly with regards to Safety. The goal is to prevent a Worker death or permanent vegetative state like what hapened in the Mushroom Farm incident. No father to their children, no husband to their spouse, taxpayer(that's us) gets stuck with ongoing hospital fees, Employer gets small fine declares bankruptcy changes company name and all is good again. Right Right P.S not sure what you meant by union mentality perhaps you could elaborate on that.

Not sure what your point is. There certainly were workplace deaths during the '90's when the NDP was governing.

My response was to point out one of the many benefits a Union brings to society in terms of his comment "More Unions and Union mentality is the last thing B.C. needs". As well I wanted to try and understand what was meant by Union mentality. I can assure you that if there was a death in a Union shop in the 90's or any other time no stones would be left unturned to prevent another workplace death under similar circumstances. This may be viewed by some as red tape but by workers its viewed as saving lives. Perhaps that is what Jimmy meant by Union mentality.

Here is a subtle heads up people. The pipe line has been approved and gone through before you even knew it was going to happen. I am a petroleum engineer and work contract for many large companies including Shell Canada, who is one of the biggest investors in the northern pipeline off the books. You are all right about Enbridge being like haliburton, <another company I am strongly attached to as my dad was one of the top executives in that company as well haha>.. The federal government signed papers 2 years ago that stated the pipeline would go in no matter what!!!!! This is how oil companies work. They complete the deal from a legal standpoint, then then hire a team like myself to start the work and design all the facilities that will be required to be put in place... Prior to all of this they survey the entire pipeline route and hire a team of salesman to meet the demands of the indigenous people. They meet with them with psychologists and biologists to get a feel on how they can best manipulate the situation and negotiate each land owner from point A to point B. Then they inform the public of their intent and ask for support.. They have specially trained individuals to deal with each land owner and at the end of the day its once again just payoffs behind the scene to satisfy peoples greed. When the natives are involved they just promise to employ 1 native for every 20-50 skilled worker and share in some minimal profits to get them to give up everything... The natives are as good at this game as the oil companies, they know now to get media involved and start a hype to get more out of a deal than they used to get.

Then they hire guys like me to come in and start building the pipeline, watch over crews and in this case, build compressor plants to push natural gas to the newly and already built LNG <liquid natural gas> plants that were financed by Shell and several other companies including a Chinese company running with the front of an American company. Also a little fact most of you dont know, shell Canada has given the Chinese 10% of all natural gas coming out of northern bc on a multi billion dollar deal. All wells in ft st. john etc owned by shell have to be carefully measured daily now as the Chinese accountants are making sure to get every last cent out of their investment.

If you ever think you get a vote against an oil company, save your breath and gas money driving to the poll station. Its not as bad as it seems, but there is an offshore billionaire who has alot to lose if this pipeline goes through, and he has been financing all the green groups he can and filling them full of propaganda. Im not getting into that though, in reality if there was a spill it has the potential to be deadly, but I can promise you unless its some little green party terrorist the chance of a spill is almost negligible.. Also I cant vouch for the BC ferries guys whom they hire to pilot the tankers.... We all would have to hang up our rods tomorrow if they get employed ;)

There you have it you can not trust any of the politicians.

My point was not to get into if you support unions or not and why. My point was that the NDP is a pro union party and there fore I will never support them.I personally
do not support unions.

I read through the article.
Is it the use of the word "grief"? Or is it that you think he shouldn't state that without also admitting schools are underfunded?

I worked with autistic children for years, before I had children. Now my children are moving through the school system.
One in grade 9 (moved from public to private after grade 7) and one in public grade 3.

The first had a variety of special needs children in her classes. Some had little to no effect in her classes, others had a large impact. One year she had a boy that sat beside her almost all year. She complained daily that he would poke her (to get attention) all the time. After a bit, we spoke to the teacher to ask one of them be moved to a different seat. The teacher told us our child is always sitting beside the other child because she is the most tolerant of his behaviour. That's great for the special needs child, but why should my child have to try to study with someone poking her all day every day? Another special needs boy in her class acted out by hitting people (other boys, so my daughter was never hit), and was removed from the class at some point every day, and re-introduced every day. He had a worker who was assigned to him but it didn't really matter, children were still hit daily. After 2 years he was removed from the school.

My son now has a special needs boy in his class that is very large. As a reference, my son is 53lbs, the other boy I would say is closer to 130. He's huge. He doesn't keep up with the class in what they are learning, and chooses to bully the other kids. We have to pack an extra set of clothes for my son (and every other boy's parents do as well) every day, because the large boy likes to throw kids in puddles during Lunch and recess. Should the other boys have to worry about this every day they go to school? Would you accept a workplace situation like that - where someone more than twice your size may ragdoll you any/every day (without any repercussions to that person)?

We were planning to transfer my son to Private school after grade 7, but based on his experience this year we are hoping to move him at the beginning of next year. We're fortunate in that we can afford to move our kids to private schools. We'll most likely be on a waitlist for my son, but we've started the process 4 years early because of the ongoing situation in the classrooms at the public school he goes to.

While I can see that for some the answer is we need more teachers/aids, etc., the reality is we don't have them.

I coach a hockey team, and as a coach I'm asked to provide letters of reference for boys trying to go to private school. Some already go to private school. This year I was asked to provide letters for 8 different boys. Discussing the reasons with parents making that choice, I'd say #1 is simply better education, #2 is teachers that are held accountable (lending to #1) and #3 is no special needs (including ESL) children in the class taking up all the teachers time (lending to #1).

I don't think what Pimm said was inaccurate. In our case its completely accurate. Perhaps he could have chosen his words better.
I won't be voting form him/his party, but not because of these comments.

On a side note, my son continues to get special help from an ESL teacher. I've been kind of curious about this for a while as English is his first language, but figured more help is never a bad thing. But for his private school application ESL instruction is a negative. So my wife went to ask about it. The answer was unclear, but it seems like our school chooses to designate more children as ESL because then they get more funding for more staff. We've asked that he be taken off the ESL list for next year.

Sorry for the huge hijack.

If we're talking leaders, I like to use 5-6 foot leader

Here is a subtle heads up people. The pipe line has been approved and gone through before you even knew it was going to happen. I am a petroleum engineer and work contract for many large companies including Shell Canada, who is one of the biggest investors in the northern pipeline off the books. You are all right about Enbridge being like haliburton, <another company I am strongly attached to as my dad was one of the top executives in that company as well haha>.. The federal government signed papers 2 years ago that stated the pipeline would go in no matter what!!!!! This is how oil companies work. They complete the deal from a legal standpoint, then then hire a team like myself to start the work and design all the facilities that will be required to be put in place... Prior to all of this they survey the entire pipeline route and hire a team of salesman to meet the demands of the indigenous people. They meet with them with psychologists and biologists to get a feel on how they can best manipulate the situation and negotiate each land owner from point A to point B. Then they inform the public of their intent and ask for support.. They have specially trained individuals to deal with each land owner and at the end of the day its once again just payoffs behind the scene to satisfy peoples greed. When the natives are involved they just promise to employ 1 native for every 20-50 skilled worker and share in some minimal profits to get them to give up everything... The natives are as good at this game as the oil companies, they know now to get media involved and start a hype to get more out of a deal than they used to get.

Then they hire guys like me to come in and start building the pipeline, watch over crews and in this case, build compressor plants to push natural gas to the newly and already built LNG <liquid natural gas> plants that were financed by Shell and several other companies including a Chinese company running with the front of an American company. Also a little fact most of you dont know, shell Canada has given the Chinese 10% of all natural gas coming out of northern bc on a multi billion dollar deal. All wells in ft st. john etc owned by shell have to be carefully measured daily now as the Chinese accountants are making sure to get every last cent out of their investment.

If you ever think you get a vote against an oil company, save your breath and gas money driving to the poll station. Its not as bad as it seems, but there is an offshore billionaire who has alot to lose if this pipeline goes through, and he has been financing all the green groups he can and filling them full of propaganda. Im not getting into that though, in reality if there was a spill it has the potential to be deadly, but I can promise you unless its some little green party terrorist the chance of a spill is almost negligible.. Also I cant vouch for the BC ferries guys whom they hire to pilot the tankers.... We all would have to hang up our rods tomorrow if they get employed ;)
I don't know where you are getting you information from, but if it were really true the government had already agreed "The pipeline is going through no matter what", I think the media would have gotten hold of it by now and exposed the Northern Gateway hearings as a sham. No doubt there are political shenanigans and payoffs going on but no Canadian government could actually do what you are implying.
In fact the opposite is true the NG pipeline will NEVER be built as the people of BC will not allow it. Nor will the first nations. The Liberals are going to be thrown out this election and then the new government will be given a mandate to block this pipeline and ensure Alberta investors and China do not sacrifice and sell the soul of BC - our coastal waterways and rivers.
BTW your insinuation about green terrorists causing spills is a stupid conspiracy theory. The fact is a spill is an absolute certainty, not because of any dark conspiracy but because of human fallibility - Exon Valdez, the Gulf spill, the Kalamazoo river, the Queen of the North - all were human errors and failures! And that is why the bitumen pipeline across BC must not and will not be built!!

Back