FishAssassin needs a Big Shout Out Right Now.

I will donate to a go fund me as well.

Typical of the system to be on the wrong side. It’s this crap from the rcmp/crown that makes me lose faith in our judicial system more and more.

More of the same from the rcmp…. They don’t respond to repeated issues, finally joe public gets fed up and fixes problem themselves, rcmp makes joe public the bad guy. RCMP goes on news and says “you should call the rcmp and not take matters into your own hands”.

things are so broken.

I will donate to a go fund me as well.

Typical of the system to be on the wrong side. It’s this crap from the rcmp/crown that makes me lose faith in our judicial system more and more.

More of the same from the rcmp…. They don’t respond to repeated issues, finally joe public gets fed up and fixes problem themselves, rcmp makes joe public the bad guy. RCMP goes on news and says “you should call the rcmp and not take matters into your own hands”.

things are so broken.
Without evidence,.....what trap. Cops trying to justify not doing their jobs everyone gets a sticker.

I'm pretty sick of people comparing this to nicky nine door. Yeah, we did that as 10-12 year olds, usually not long after dark or even in the middle of the day. And like others have said, we'd knock on the door or ring the doorbell. What these jackasses are doing is straight up assaulting, vandalizing and terrorizing those poor people in that community. AND FOR 4 YEARS!? Give your head a shake if you're defending these goofs in any way.

Just for arguments sake (and before this thread, like every other "controversial" one gets shut down) though - didn't the kid just knock on the door and try to run away?
Haven't kids for decades been doing this? Hell, I remember doing it 50 years ago - although we used to call it "nicky nicky nine doors" instead of a tiktok challenge -seem like the only difference here is the internet filming (and trip wires).
So, is there more to the story I'm not aware of?
this will give you more on this senseless game these teens were playing

This is really hard to digest. I can’t believe the police did nothing to help this community!! Especially when it went on for so long and with so many cases. They spent no resources to stop it. How about extra patrols or a stakeout? Sad truth is, these guys will be slapped on the wrist as young offenders.
Just imagine if they tried this s**t in Merica.
My heart goes out to Owen and his wife. Hopefully this blows over and they can be at peace in their home

The cops are worried about a piece of fishing line.............................................gimmee a freaking break!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Glad to see one of the fathers show up and apologize. He should have been holding his useless kid by his ear at the time though.

The cops are worried about a piece of fishing line.............................................gimmee a freaking break!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Glad to see one of the fathers show up and apologize. He should have been holding his useless kid by his ear at the time though.
When I was a kid I wouldn’t have even thought about doing this for one reason only. What my dad would have done to me. The consequences from my dad would scare me straight.

In my experience it is highly unlikely that Crown Counsel will approve charges in this matter.
The way it works is the police conduct an investigation. They put together a report to crown counsel.
Crown Counsel then decides whether or not the situation warrants charges against the party.
They take into consideration a number of factors including previous convictions, likelihood to reoffend and in this case whether or not the device used is in actual fact a trap. They also consider the actual chance of conviction.
The press is blowing this out of proportion. The wheels of justice move slowly and sometimes don't move at all.
Charges are not pending until such a time that Owen and his wife are notified of charges that are approved by Crown Counsel.
Yes an investigation is ongoing, charges pending are unlikely.
I hope I am correct.

Thanks, Looks like we have the support of most people in our province. Well beside those with the same last name as the offenders on Facebook or friends of people with the same last name of the offenders.

I do not condone nor did I try harm to anyone. This piece of fishing line that was used was there to help us identify clearly who these individuals were. We actually wanted to go kick on their parents doors.

The fishing line broke, they were free to leave but they continued to beat us with flashlights, punching and kicking us, removing my wife’s clothes and threatening to kill my wife.

I hunt and I have addiction to fishing that maybe a wee bit above normal. I used fishing line and game cameras. I had many more tools I could have used, but I was not trying to harm anyone.

I was not the only person targeted many of my neighbors have also had this happening to them. My neighbors are at the age they could be your parents, or these offenders grandparents.

The RCMP called this an isolated incident, because no files were ever started for the other incidents, at my home or at my neighbors homes. So we could all learn from this when you have an incident. Make sure you get a file number.

I’ve even asked this question if one of the old-timers in my neighborhood had a heart attack would the RCMP consider this a pre-existing condition or would it be manslaughter? If no other reports were ever filed.

Here’s another one for you, cameras they’re not as good as you think. I’m not talking about what your likely thinking. It’s the rate of speed they record at. When you view your tape, you may see a nice clear image of what you know as real, or which one of your friends is standing at your front door. But when people are moving quickly you can’t pause it and identify who’s on the tape. It took 30mp 4k cameras to actually identify these individuals.

The film is taken from the newest cameras sold at Costco, I will not recommend them to anyone.

Oh and Pedro at Times Colonist was wrong in his reporting. Wrong in many ways. But one thing I guided and commercial fished for 22 years. I don’t fish for money. I have often said to many I fish only with experienced fishermen, I am not a good teacher. When it’s my day off it’s my day off. I don’t want to be answering a millions of newbie questions. But that’s me. It’s one of the reasons I decided to distance my self from SFBC. I just want to enjoy the sport. But many of you for years have received PM from me. I do what I can’t to help and support you any way I can.

Thank You,
Owen and Laura

He and his wife deserve medals--- not the BS that the police are hitting him with .
My old Dad, a Sargeant in our Canadian Army, once said "If young men refuse to understand polite language, they will understand pain." These little sh*ts need a beat-down to affirm cause and effect. Just keep it quick and quiet. My home is not far from Crown Isle.

Thanks, Looks like we have the support of most people in our province. Well beside those with the same last name as the offenders on Facebook or friends of people with the same last name of the offenders.

I do not condone nor did I try harm to anyone. This piece of fishing line that was used was there to help us identify clearly who these individuals were. We actually wanted to go kick on their parents doors.

The fishing line broke, they were free to leave but they continued to beat us with flashlights, punching and kicking us, removing my wife’s clothes and threatening to kill my wife.

I hunt and I have addiction to fishing that maybe a wee bit above normal. I used fishing line and game cameras. I had many more tools I could have used, but I was not trying to harm anyone.

I was not the only person targeted many of my neighbors have also had this happening to them. My neighbors are at the age they could be your parents, or these offenders grandparents.

The RCMP called this an isolated incident, because no files were ever started for the other incidents, at my home or at my neighbors homes. So we could all learn from this when you have an incident. Make sure you get a file number.

I’ve even asked this question if one of the old-timers in my neighborhood had a heart attack would the RCMP consider this a pre-existing condition or would it be manslaughter? If no other reports were ever filed.

Here’s another one for you, cameras they’re not as good as you think. I’m not talking about what your likely thinking. It’s the rate of speed they record at. When you view your tape, you may see a nice clear image of what you know as real, or which one of your friends is standing at your front door. But when people are moving quickly you can’t pause it and identify who’s on the tape. It took 30mp 4k cameras to actually identify these individuals.

The film is taken from the newest cameras sold at Costco, I will not recommend them to anyone.

Oh and Pedro at Times Colonist was wrong in his reporting. Wrong in many ways. But one thing I guided and commercial fished for 22 years. I don’t fish for money. I have often said to many I fish only with experienced fishermen, I am not a good teacher. When it’s my day off it’s my day off. I don’t want to be answering a millions of newbie questions. But that’s me. It’s one of the reasons I decided to distance my self from SFBC. I just want to enjoy the sport. But many of you for years have received PM from me. I do what I can’t to help and support you any way I can.

Thank You,
Owen and Laura

Very unfortunate the police never open up file numbers. Usless cops

Sorry you had to deal with these young terriosts

Last edited:

Thank You,
Owen and Laura
Sorry for your situation. Did you get legal advice before posting these comments? I hope it doesn’t jeopardize you in anyway.

This thread needs a bit of direction. In my personal interactions with Owen and Laura over the years, I have experienced good and giving people with big and helpful hearts and I feel for them having to go through this terrible situation. I have spoken directly to Owen about their situation and regarding this thread. While I am inclined to leave it here for the sole purpose of allowing members to show their support, I do need to remind everyone that the tone and rhetoric needs to be tempered, especially from those who have expressed ideas or statements of what they would do in a similar situation, that includes assault or threats of violence and physical harm to the perpetrator. While these words make for a great premise for a Hollywood vigilante movie, in the real world these statements made on a public platform literally may be used against you. Imagine if one day you actually end up in a scenario where you did do severe harm to a perpetrator and a quick check of your public postings showed you did exactly what you said you would do. My guess is Crown would proceed with charges fairly quickly given the intent you prescribed in writing. Also, even though you would be wise to delete your posts from any type of social media platform, don't forget that content never really disappears, it just isn't visible to the public anymore.
A couple more things. We have always stated that we are not going to have debates here about the justice system or the political decisions that may have affected the courts rulings. We are first and foremost a fishing website and not Twitter. All of those types of debates just lead to fights and seem to resort to name calling and other nonsense. We also cannot allow suggestions of violence or violent behaviour toward others. We have had contact from the authorities in the past and we are not interested in dealing with these types of scenarios.
So, we will leave this thread open for now if the standard of posts is meeting expectations of support of Owen and Laura in a reasoned way. We understand the feelings of anger and how it hits close to home for many of you that know them, but we have to maintain a level of decorum in showing them support.

Thanks,

Brian

Sorry for your situation. Did you get legal advice before posting these comments? I hope it doesn’t jeopardize you in anyway.
You may not understand that as you age, legal intimidation has very little effect. At my age, with a heart condition, even "life" in prison is not much of a deterrent.

Rick Mercer once said "Canadians are afflicted with terminal niceness." Kindness should never be confused with enabling. That phony compassion is a primary disease rotting our contemporary society.

Folks like Owen and his wife should be commended for creating their line in the sand, literally at their front door, not cautioned of some vague consequence. Owen, thanks for saying "Enough!"
The Justice system seems to only work on people who work hard, pay taxes and care about their community. if you’re charged and need counsel, set up a go fund me. This isn’t just your case, it all our case too.
So very true, unfortunately. We have been conditioned to tolerate the intolerable - because of the fear and intimidation tactics perpetrated by the dysfunctional justice system that we pay to serve and protect us, especially in our own homes.

Hey Owen, I am so sorry to hear of you and Laura's violent assault by these teenage terrorists. The level of anger fear and frustration you have felt must have been terrible. I admire your solution to stopping the attacks. Laura's bravery was an expression of her frustration, for the lack of support from the RCMP. I wish you both a speedy recovery and will lend my support in any way I can. Eddie

Back