Black bears do attack humans ...

Yes Holmes I grew up in North Bay and will never forget the feeling and the sound of the Crunch Crunch of shad flies being sqished with every foot step.

kittyjuly1409055-1.jpg

I have to disagree Governor. It isnt very unusual for a blackbear to attack. It happens quite often.
When a black attacks they usually want to eat you, so you're best to fight for your life. A Grizz on the other hand is usually protecting territory or a kill and is usually not interested in eating you.

quote:Originally posted by sledhed

I have to disagree Governor. It isnt very unusual for a blackbear to attack. It happens quite often.
When a black attacks they usually want to eat you, so you're best to fight for your life. A Grizz on the other hand is usually protecting territory or a kill and is usually not interested in eating you.

I wouldnt say they are common at all.Theres 100s of encounters daily and few black bears attacks in North America.

Having spent many years in areas where black and grizzlies were common, there were more black bear attacks than grizzly attacks. Just my experience. I would say that all bears can be unpredictable, so expect any and all to attack, with or without obvious provocation. It's easier to avoid an attack than survive one. Lol

Too much water, too little time

They say only one bear in a thousand will attack you,,, so just tell me which one and problem solved!:D:D

IMG_1445.jpg

While I don't doubt any of you who have experienced encounters with grizz and black bears in the woods, nor do I question your stories. The article I posted to me seemed very out of the ordinary behaviour-wise for a black bear, especially in Ontario where I used to live.

But I can only speak from my experience of 20 years hunting, fishing and camping in cottage country Ontario (around Orillia, Bracebridge, Gravenhurst, Port Severn, Big Chute, Huntsville, Minden etc). I have sat in treestands with bows and arrows (no guns) for hours upon end, at times with bears just 20 to 30 yards away, noshing peacefully on the stale donut/mollases bait barrel. Never once was I challenged by one. The only curious encounter was when a very large female with a cub in tow walked toward me in my treestand from the barrel, stopped and looked up at me (oh yes, I was exuding plenty of "fear-imones" in my sweat). But she just turned and went back to finish dinner.

I've walked up on bears while fishing, hiking, scouting for deer and even when grouse and showshoe hare hunting, where the experience was ususally you hear this incredible crashing of brush, snapping branches and breaking sticks only to realize the bear that was very near you was now in high speed escape mode and no threat at all.

Thankfully, all the bears I bumped into ended up in the stew pot, ran like heck or left me well alone. But we always hear of the stories in the media of those who got attacked. I bet the percentage of attacks to actual human bear encounters is miniscule. IMHO, this poor dude who got his calf gnawed off is for sure the very rare exception.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling - Izaak Walton

Chris-- someday over a beer or two, I will "boar" you silly with my bear stories from Rivers, Kimsquit, Bella Coola, Phillips River, Kitimat and a few other places where I was positive I was the main menu item!!!

I even have stories of a Christmas bear that loved hot tubs in Dove Creek!!! ( that was his undoing!):D

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Back