Fish Cleaning Tables - What Works?

Sushihunter

Here's a question for everyone:

If you were to design the ultimate fish cleaning table, either dockside or for your boat, what would it have?

Stainless steel, plastic cutting boards, trough in front or back, slanted toward you or away from you, etc.?

Bonus points for including photos of the tables at your marina.

fishTable.jpg

Now there is a great Fish Cleaning Table!

For example, Westview Marina in Tahsis has some pretty good SS cleaning tables. The only problems with them is that they are a little too low (my aching back!), and the trough is on the front which is fine except that the lip is higher than the table, which makes it hard to fillet a Salmon because your knife handle hits it unless you push the fish toward the back of the table.

Let's see what you guys can come up with.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

I have what seems like a damn good setup to me. I have a 2x4' piece of Starboard mounted on the back of my boat. The sides fold in, then the unit simply sits with two poles in teh Scotty rod holders on the back of the boat.

When not in use, it hangs off the inside of the cockpit linter out of the way, but as of late, I just leave it on the boat, as it makes a great workspace. Plus, it saves me waiting around for the cleaning table jamboree at the docks/launches.

For ME anyway, I have found it to be an invaulable asset, giving me both a large cleaning area/work area, without comprimising the fishing area of my boat.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

Lastchance, did you make that table yourself? Sounds like a pretty good solution.

I think my ideal table would be at my house so I could fillet and vacuum pack all at once. It would be made of plastic because the fish won't slide as much. It would have a spot for a garbage bag on one end and some slots for knives. Oh and maybe it would have a knife sharpener on it too.

Highliner

www.salmonboats.ca

quote:Originally posted by Highliner

Lastchance, did you make that table yourself? Sounds like a pretty good solution.

I think my ideal table would be at my house so I could fillet and vacuum pack all at once. It would be made of plastic because the fish won't slide as much. It would have a spot for a garbage bag on one end and some slots for knives. Oh and maybe it would have a knife sharpener on it too.

Highliner

www.salmonboats.ca

Yes, I did, it was very simple. Pics this afternoon.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

Stainless is hard on knife edges, plastic is hard to keep clean, wood - cedar - is easy on knives, cleans reasonably well, has natural anti-bacterial properties, is inexpensive, readily available, and recyclable. For a 'public' cleaning station, however, stainless steel is probably the only way to go.
Drainage at rear, so when hosing off you aren't trying to stay dry while cleaning the table. Slant slightly away from you. Full sideboards on side and back to keep a slippery fish on the table, and perhaps some ridging or a baffle on the surface to help hold the fish in place. Slots at front or sides, depending on size, to hold knife and spoon.

A google search for "fish cleaning table" will show a bunch of expensive but lovely tables.

Agree with LC, best if you can take care of it on the boat and avoid the crush at the Marina table. But on a smaller boat (mines's 16') there's no space for something as large as a 2'x4' table.
The plastic baby bathtubs are about the right size and have served well in the past.

But, given that you need to keep the head on for Fisheries (and probably want to keep it anyway for future crab bait), and all that needs to be done on the boat is bleeding and cleaning the fish, over the winter I roughed out a design for a quick mounting and detatchable cleaning trough that will hang on the outside of the hull. Basically a 'U' shaped trough from cedar with an aluminium or ss frame that hangs on the outside and secures to the bottom inside of the gunwale with straps. Just have to find the material and build it now, and will post a pic when it's done.

What's up with you guy's?

Hell, I'd go with the one Sushi has in pic cep't I'd opt for the model with the stirrups... ah-h what the hell, we'll go for hand-cuffs option as well.

I made up afish cleaning station for my boat. basically a v shaped box 3 inch bottom,made it to fit across the motor well sides ,bought a small bilge pump and some hose, put a bracket on the pump and hang it off the stern. plug it into the downrigger plug when needed, clean my fish right on the boat and can wash the deck down if too slimmy. THAT IS when I get fish.[8D]

For a plastic station the best thing for cleaning is the oldest trick there is Vinegar and Baking Soda (and a stiff plastic brush), nothing else comes close. [8D]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
freshwaterlagoonnuquicw3.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Sushihunter

Here's a question for everyone:

If you were to design the ultimate fish cleaning table, either dockside or for your boat, what would it have?

Stainless steel, plastic cutting boards, trough in front or back, slanted toward you or away from you, etc.?

Bonus points for including photos of the tables at your marina.

fishTable.jpg

Now there is a great Fish Cleaning Table!

For example, Westview Marina in Tahsis has some pretty good SS cleaning tables. The only problems with them is that they are a little too low (my aching back!), and the trough is on the front which is fine except that the lip is higher than the table, which makes it hard to fillet a Salmon because your knife handle hits it unless you push the fish toward the back of the table.

Let's see what you guys can come up with.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com

What kinda fish you talkin bout?

Take only what you need.

I made a table for the bait tank lid on the back of my boat. It's a very similar design to the one Sushi has posted. I used a sheet of butcher block that I got at Industrial Plastics 24x36" x 1/2" thick. Cut it down to 30" and used the extra to make side, front and rear lips. Drain holes cut at the back.

For legs, I did the same as the picture. Two 9" high 4" ABS pipes painted with White Krylon paint mounted onto toilet flanges. I drilled a hole through the pipe and flanges and inserted a stainless bolt with a wing nut top and bottom so the table can be disassembled easily. It's high enough that I don't have to bend over while cleaning. I keep it clean with rock salt.
01252009%28003%29.jpg

TenMile
<'((((><

Well plastic yes is hard to keep clean but not proper cutting board material(starboard) I use it every day at work in my cooking job and those boards get continued use 14 hours a day on them from everything imaginable and stay clean easily.

By food and inspection you can only have proper foodsafe cutting boards wood will can and hold food born bacteria especially if there is any cracks on it they are bad for this.the only way around it is to make sure all cracks are sealed and you "bleach" after every use.

The starboard boards are safe and soft on knives we need to only sharpen knives about every 2 weeks not bad for the amount of use we do.

Good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

quote:Originally posted by wolf

Well plastic yes is hard to keep clean but not proper cutting board material(starboard) I use it every day at work in my cooking job and those boards get continued use 14 hours a day on them from everything imaginable and stay clean easily.

By food and inspection you can only have proper foodsafe cutting boards wood will can and hold food born bacteria especially if there is any cracks on it they are bad for this.the only way around it is to make sure all cracks are sealed and you "bleach" after every use.

The starboard boards are safe and soft on knives we need to only sharpen knives about every 2 weeks not bad for the amount of use we do.

Good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Wolf:

Actually it is the reverse on plastic vs. wood cutting boards as far as bacteria is concerned.

I personally hate wood cutting boards and prefer platic. Like you, I have a background in restaurants. Someone did a study a few years back on this subject. It turns out that wood has a natural biocide that kills on contact after a period of time. Plastic on the otherhand does get cracks that will hold bacteria that even bleach can not get into, then it leaches out over time.

I just scrub mine under hot water with soap and bleach it about once a month or so in the sink.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com

Personally, I hate using the ones at the marinas for cleaning my fish as they get pretty funky in the hot summer sun. [xx(]

TenMile
<'((((><

quote:Originally posted by TenMile

Personally, I hate using the ones at the marinas for cleaning my fish as they get pretty funky in the hot summer sun. [xx(]

TenMile
<'((((><

Ya, I know what you mean. [xx(]

Yet all those deaths for infected Salmon just never seem to bump Briteny Spears from the headlines. ;)

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com

Well Jim I saw the whole video and report on that whole issue BUT it is still against heath board reg to use wood as it was done by an independent study, I personally dont care but im following heath board rules and vinyl is what we are instructed to use so I have to do what is reguired.
I personally like it as it is easier to clean and lighter to lift but thats just my opinion.

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

http://www.reluctantgourmet.com/cutting_board.htm

Wooden versus Plastic Cutting Boards
Which Cutting Boards Are Best?

There is a lot of confusion out there on the web regarding which is a better, safer material for cutting boards, wood or plastic. There are valid arguments on both sides, so I will present all the arguments I can find in this debate and provide some links for further research.

It is my own feeling that, depending on the job, either material is a good choice. But as they say, “forewarned is forearmed,” so look at the arguments and decide for yourself which type of board you’re more comfortable using.

Be sure to read my article on choosing and buying the right cutting board.

Pro-Wood Arguments

1. Many people in the pro-wood camp point to a study conducted by Ak, Cliver and Kaspar in 1994 at the University of California at Davis Food Safety Laboratory that seemed to suggest that wood possesses anti-microbial properties and that surface bacteria die within minutes.

In reality, their findings were that the bacteria actually were drawn into the wood through capillary action. Once inside the wood, the bacteria no longer reproduced and eventually died off. For an excellent defense of this study, please see Dr. Dean Cliver’s discussion.

2. Another pro-wood argument has to do with an end-grain cutting board’s seeming “self-healing” properties. By this, I mean that when you make a cut on an end grain board, the knife actually slices between wood fibers (as opposed to cutting into them). When you pull the knife away from the board, you will not notice any knife mark. For more information on this argument in favor of wood, see the section on “end grain cutting boards:

3. A third argument in favor of wood is that, since wood is porous and allows bacteria to retreat into the grain where it is trapped and dies, there is actually more of a chance of getting bacterial contamination from a non-porous, plastic cutting board. I don’t think this particular argument carries much weight, as a good cleaning and sanitizing renders the point moot.

4. A point related to the third argument is that the Ak, Cliver and Kaspar study showed that a wooden board with heavy knife scarring was easier to clean and disinfect than a heavily knife-scarred plastic cutting board. This could very well have to do with some of wood’s “self healing” properties.

Since plastic is non-porous, there are many more places for bacteria to collect and contaminate food within ridges and rough spots created by knife wear. Here, I should note that a severely scarred cutting board should be replaced.

5. A final check mark in the pro-wood box is sheer longevity and tradition. Wooden boards have been used by people for hundreds and hundreds of years. High quality wooden boards can be heirlooms passed down from generation to generation.

While you should certainly throw away an old plastic cutting board that has knife cuts all over it, you can plane down a thick wooden cutting board and be good to go for years to come. Wood is considered a “warm” material, and having a wooden cutting board on display in your kitchen can enhance the feeling of warmth and welcome and give even a modern kitchen a hint of rustic charm.

Pro-Plastic Arguments

1. The most fundamental argument in favor of plastic is that it is non-porous. Because of this, bacteria cannot soak down into the board and can be completely washed off with hot soapy water followed by sanitizing. This is a powerful argument and is the main argument used by the FDA when it mandated using plastic cutting boards in commercial food service.

2. Plastic is reasonably priced and lightweight. Because plastic is relatively inexpensive, it is feasible to buy two, three or even four cutting boards to be used for completely separate food preparation: one board for chicken, one for meats and fish, one for fruits and vegetables.

Since they are light and easy to move, it is not necessary to keep them out on the counter all the time, as you sometimes have to do with a large wooden cutting board. For these reasons, using plastic cutting boards makes it more economical and convenient to prevent cross-contamination.

3. Plastic cutting boards are dishwasher safe. Having said that, most home dishwashers only reach temperatures of between 120-140F. Water must be much hotter than that—about 190F for several seconds to make sure items are properly sanitized. Nevertheless, being dishwasher safe is a convenience that is often much appreciated by busy home cooks.

4. Plastic cutting boards come in many shapes, sizes and colors. This makes it easy to choose cutting boards that match your kitchen décor. While this certainly has nothing to do with food safety, it is a point to consider, especially if you are trying to choose a cutting board to support a particular color choice.

Other Considerations

There is so much contradictory information available regarding cutting boards that it is difficult to choose a clear “winner.” One authority claims that plastic cutting boards are easier to clean and a better choice than wood - Click here to learn more - while another shows that wooden cutting boards harbor fewer harmful bacteria than plastic, even after mechanical cleaning. Click here.

While it is impossible for me to choose a clear winner, I can say unequivocally that you should stay away from decorative metal and glass cutting boards. Both of these surfaces are extremely hard and will damage your knives. If you receive one as a present, hang it on the wall, but don’t use it to do your food preparation.

I use both plastic and wooden cutting boards, depending on the job. I especially like my heavy wooden board that has a channel routed about 1” in from the edge. This channel catches any meat juices that might collect on the board and helps to keep them from running out onto the counter.

For smaller jobs, such as slicing a couple of vegetables or some cheese, I always reach for a plastic cutting board. I love them for these smaller jobs, mainly for their ease of use and clean-up.

Knife Consideration

Since plastic boards are somewhat harder than wooden boards, your knives will most likely dull more quickly when cutting on a plastic cutting board. Regardless, you should always hone your blade with a good quality steel before cutting. And depending on how frequently you use your knives, you should have them professionally sharpened at least once a year.

Regardless of which type of board you choose, sanitation is the key to making sure your boards are safe and that you do not have any cross-contamination.

• Wash and dry cutting boards thoroughly using hot, soapy water

• Sanitize with a mixture of 1 tablespoon bleach to 1 quart of water. Let sit several minutes, and then wipe. Let air dry.

• An alternate way to sanitize is by applying straight white vinegar, or a mixture of 1 part vinegar to 5 parts water. Let it sit for a few minutes, then rinse and pat dry.

• No matter what type of cutting board you have, wipe it off frequently (or use a bench scraper) to remove excess moisture. Bacteria love moisture, so keep it to a minimum to retard bacterial growth.

• To always be safe, designate one cutting board for raw foods (meats, poultry, fish) and one for foods that do not need further cooking (vegetables, fruits, prepared foods). Some people have as many as four different cutting boards, but two is the minimum you should have.

• Always prep vegetables, fruits and other foods that do not need further cooking before prepping raw meat and fish. If you forget and prep your meat first, make sure to clean and sanitize your work area before preparing your vegetables.

Other good discussions about the debate between wood and plastic cutting boards:

What's better, a wooden cutting board or a plastic one?

How Should I Choose Between a Wood and Plastic Cutting Board?

Cutting Boards and Safety

If you have any additional information on this subject that you would like to share, please send me an email with cutting boards in the subject. I would love to hear from you.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com

http://culinaryarts.about.com/od/culinarytools/p/cuttingboards.htm

Cleaning Cutting Boards:

Cutting boards should be washed with hot, soapy water after each use, rinsed with clear water and air dried. You can also pat them dry with clean paper towels — but don't dry with a dishtowel. Why? Dishtowels hang around the kitchen and get wiped on everything, making them the ideal vehicle for spreading bacteria from one kitchen tool or surface (or even your hands) to another.

Acrylic or plastic boards can be run through a dishwasher, which is a great way to clean and sanitize them. It's another reason they're superior to wooden boards, because wooden boards may warp, crack or split if washed in the dishwasher.

Sanitizing Cutting Boards:

Don't have a dishwasher? You can sanitize plastic cutting boards in a chlorine solution consisting of 1 tablespoon of liquid chlorine bleach per gallon of water. (Use unscented bleach only — don't use bleach that has lemon or pine scent added!)

Ideally you'd fill a sink with this solution and then soak the cutting boards in it for half an hour or so, then rinse them with clear water and air dry. If your sink isn't big enough, you can fill a spray bottle with the sanitizing bleach solution and spritz the surface of the boards generously and let them stand for a few minutes, then rinse and dry as described.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com

JESUS Jim you need to get a hobby LOL LOL way more info than i have ever thought I could possablly use.:D:D:D:D

Good job Wolf

Back