First time out for Salmon

This Saturday I'm heading out salmon fishing for the first time. Going out of the Sooke area, is the Sooke marina the best place to launch or is there another? Also any tips on some hot spots would be greatly appreciated.
I have a 18.5ft "coastal" boat w/ downriggers, and all the gear. Not going too far off shore.
Thanks in advance.

I would launch out of Cheanuh marina (beacher bay just past pedder). Fish Aldridge to beachy head, I've been doing very well there. Give me a shout on 68 I'm gonna have lines in the water by 7am, I'll give you a report!
The Gambler

This Saturday I'm heading out salmon fishing for the first time. Going out of the Sooke area, is the Sooke marina the best place to launch or is there another? Also any tips on some hot spots would be greatly appreciated.
I have a 18.5ft "coastal" boat w/ downriggers, and all the gear. Not going too far off shore.
Thanks in advance.

I fish there regularly....if you like to fish anywhere from Secretary Island to Otter Point or beyond...Sooke marina, Sunny Shores marina are good to launch.

if fish out of Becher Bay up to Trap Shack...Becher Bay Marina is a good choice too. watch out for rip tides behind Beechy Head...but bites can be productive.

enjoy!!

Island Outfitters provide fishing reports regularly for avid anglers ...check it out on the website `island outsfitters fishing reports`

Last edited by a moderator:
If you launch from Sunny Shores make sure you know the proper route to get out of the basin, keep an eye on your chartplotter as there is shallow areas on the way out. If you don't have a chartplotter might be best to go with someone that knows the route. You have to hug the port side on the way out , there is some marker bouys also to guide you.The launch at the Prestige Hotel is good and closer the the fishing grounds. Watch out for that reef between the spit and Possesion Point, you can see it at low tide and high tide it's just under the surf. There is a few props and leg parts on that one.

Back