First Nations Sign Deal with DFO to Sell Sockeye

There are people out there that will abuse a system regardless of race or skin colour. I just find it frustrating that the actions of so few people (really when you think about the actual number doing it versus how many there are in total) can have such a white-washing effect on a group of people. Those individuals taking advantage of the situation for profit are criminals, regardless of what colour they are, and they should be treated accordingly. If nothing else the First nations should be going after these individuals themselves just because of the bad publicity and the fact that the natives are supposedly the stewards of nature and that their culture is built completely around that. This sort of behaviour would have been totally unheard of or accepted by the First Nations less than 50 years ago.

So the question is why is it suddenly okay for them to hide behind treaty rights and do just as much if not more damage than everyone else? Honestly these guys are starting to sound like a big corporation that can find a way through, around, or past the law to do whatever it wants to without fear of consequences or repercussion.

It's the old saying, knowledge is power, and they have been abusing a system through grey areas for years now. As they get more and more educated members of there bands, they find loopholes to work the system. And sadly they pull the discrimination card to do it. There needs to be a point where they accept they are Canadians and work in harmony with everyone else rather than segregating themselves and being allowed to carry on like this. They just end up giving the bloc quebecious reasons to argue for segregation lol.

It's fine to have beliefs and it's fine to have pride in your heritage, but it's called evolution and we all need to move forward together.

Mike

I agree in a sense but as soon as the sportsfisher sells his catch he is no longer a sportsfisher and neither is he a commercial fisher he is a poacher and a criminal to boot. It is an error to associate these kind of low lifes with sportsfishing or commercial fishers.
you may as well include the sports catching and selling of fish as well Gunsmith. I had a call today to sell commercial halibut(no nothing to do with the experimental licnese) to a man that just bought a fish and chip shack where the previous owner left him some untagged stock(all commercial landed halibut have a tag in the tail with a serial number) and phone numbers where to get cheap fish from the north island.

Rest assured those phone numbers will be passed along to the proper authorities as the new owner is trying to play by the rules.

I agree in a sense but as soon as the sportsfisher sells his catch he is no longer a sportsfisher and neither is he a commercial fisher he is a poacher and a criminal to boot. It is an error to associate these kind of low lifes with sportsfishing or commercial fishers.

Agreed but it is being done through an ill-managed sport fishery.

Put the DFO on that fish4 they have screwed up everything else and yet they still charge us for it.

We seem to have branched into new ground here. Sports selling there catch is questionable, but at the end of the day, with such limited retention what's to their gain?

Fish4 seems to have a gripe with the sportsfishers but I don't know if he realizes that the DFO sets the rules for us also.

Rules and regs govern First Nation, commercial and recreational harvest. Once you start operating outside of those rules and regs you are in the fourth category: Poacher. it doesn't matter which sector(s) you personally identify with, if you take fish or sell fish or guide to fish you shouldn't then you are a poacher. Gear type has nothing to do with it.

Although, a lot of that illegal hali coming from up north (which is a really serious problem) is caught on set lines, which is more like commercial gear than sports gear. So does that make those losers commercial fishermen? Or poachers?

Has the poaching issue really got worse lately? Or is it more that we all are starting to pay a little more attention to our fisheries due to regulation changes, etc?

Poaching has always and will always be a problem. I think the difference is we are living in a world of instant information now so it's far easier to find and gets noticed more easily. Unless they pass a law that poaching is punishable by death I don't think it's going to go away any time soon.

Has the poaching issue really got worse lately? Or is it more that we all are starting to pay a little more attention to our fisheries due to regulation changes, etc?

What does that matter. Stocks are being depleted because of over harvesting in every sector. Are we starting to pay attention now that seasons are being cut back and quotas reduced... yes. Should we have been paying more attention before this and possibly prevent these steep declines....yes

you dont need punishable by death. how about a $10,000 fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel sorry for FN pepole with the wrong last name .What i see were i live on res is a sad state.They are getting rid of the sick one .Takeing there houses from them and throwing them to the street.Where we the tax payers heave to pay for them .We will always pay unless the gov makes them more acountable.The counsel has the power to cut power call the cops to beat them up ,no **** i saw this .The fn pepole are in big trouble if they dont have the right last name.I no one native That has two house taken from him all legaly owned,but the wrong last name.Ifeel sorry for FN with wroung last name.

Back