First Hali in New Boat

Charlie415

Crew Member
So their are actually hali on the inside waters....LOL Went out searching for hali and got more than we bargained for. Forgot the scotchman for the harpoon sooooo luckily the rope broke and not the cleat it was attached to. Tried to hold the hali at the boat but that work out so well and I have the rope burns to prove it. Thankfully the wife didn't let go of the rod when he bolted to the bottom with my harpoon head in him. Ended up gaffing with one hand and beating it into submission with the other. In the meantime the hali is half out of the water trying to throw the hook and gaff. After a 10 minute beating we both were exhausted so over the side he came....BARELY. Sitting on the motor box with both feet on the gunnel it was all I could do to get his head over the gunnel and slide him into the boat. Once he hit the deck he definately need another round of attitude adjustment. Hog tied ,bled and wrapped in a bow it was now time for several cans of nerve tonic. Unbelievable fight on a Shimano Trevala jigging rod. This was the wife's first fishing trip and only her third overnighter in the boat. It will be hard to top this one any time soon.
Hali 130lbs.jpg

Funny thing is that a buddy and myself were going on a work fishing derby up to Stuart Island three weeks ago and the plan was that weather permitting we were heading up to Kelsey Bay to try for a hali. Wife made the comment that it wasn't fair that she would not be in the boat for the first hali. As it turns out it blew the whole time we were up there so no opportunity. She got her wish...LOL

I think the wifey likes boating. Seen some magnificent yachts while we were away. She is already talking about what she would like on the next bigger boat...LOL

charlie415,now that's what i call wife bonding...that should put some groceries in the fridge for a while:D congrats...sammy

Thx. Most of it went to my buddies butcher shop for vacuum bagging and freezing. Of course there is enough for a good feed of fresh in the fridge for dinner tomorrow. Last time we put a bunch of prawns in the freezer it took damn near 5 days for them to freeze. Time to invest in a vacuum sealer and another freezer...LOL

Man, epic battle!!! Great job on battling through the equipment failures! Halibut will destroy everything at some point. My boat is a living testament to that. Now you've got one hell of a fish story to go with that boat! Good on the Mrs for hanging in there. Now the only thing to do, is GO GET A BIGGER ONE! Good luck!

Great story and nice fish Charlie. I think the only thought a halibut has when it's on the surface close to the boat is "must reek havoc"!!!:D.

Awesome fish and great story Charlie!
Still waiting for my first one too. Soon I hope. BTW: your wife's a keeper!

Back