First Ever Multiplier Mooching Reel

My RST has the drag adjustment on the opposite side to the handles.. it hasn't been an issue, but how many RST Moochers do you see out there ? another "great idea" that just didn't cut it

CRGreg

Better performance while maintaining the essence of what a mooching reel is. Watching guys reel after a fish on a 1 to 1 is comical. Looks like they are going to pop a nut trying to keep up with their fish and with barbless operations out west I cant even imagine how many fish are dropped because of a lack line between the lure and angler.

That's just my new view after being exposed to a multiplier moocher. Prior to this I was totally sold on 1 to 1 sport.
Man, this is why we need a dislike button... I don't mean this at all as a personal attack to you Dan, we obviously have differing opinions, and that's fine. I just think this completely defeats the purpose of mooching reels and keeping things sporting. Comical? The whole point of recreational or sport fishing is to enjoy the experience and catch a few fish. If you lose a fight, remember it's called fighting, not winning a fish, you lose the fight. Well done fish. If you can't keep up, you don't get the fish, pretty simple. Sport. If you want to make things easier, go for it I guess..?

Although, if you're going to use a reel with a higher gear ratio, this mooching style would be far nicer than the current level winds that create that awful torque on top of the rod, rocking back and forth... never understood them. But this style would make it nicer for older folks or people with disabilities to use them. So there is definitely some value in these in that regard. Maybe we should put an age limit or doctor's note requirement for their use like downriggers used to be?

if your gonna pay 900$ + for a mooching reel, why choose a lightly proven product over a reel like an abel that is more $$ but well proven for many years and isnt going anywhere anytime soon! I mean dont get me wrong I dont own or will ever own an abel just because I cant justify that cost, but even $900+ is out of range for most anglers on a 2 year old concept..

Although, if you're going to use a reel with a higher gear ratio, this mooching style would be far nicer than the current level winds that create that awful torque on top of the rod, rocking back and forth... never understood them. But this style would make it nicer for older folks or people with disabilities to use them. So there is definitely some value in these in that regard. Maybe we should put an age limit or doctor's note requirement for their use like downriggers used to be?
Yet thousands of people including myself have used level wind reels for river fishing since the 60's without problems?

It all comes down to personal preference...
I have fished them all and there really is not a perfect mooching reel, they all have their purposes..

I own and fish sets of the following reels..
MR2s
Mr3's
LX 4.5 and 4.0s custom ordered with double handles
Also have a set of #5 & #6 fly reels which are bad butt in their own way, huge pickup and capacity but still that old school classic look.

Each of these reels sets are picked to be top performers in their own niche.. I love the LX series for mooching but you will kill them fishing heavy on the downrigger.

my all time favorite reel is a simple MR2 with a free spool. would be nice if they made one in a slightly larger diameter. For heavy abuse and work the MR2 is my go to.

My issue with the drag on the front is that sometimes you need to adjust the drag when that big spring is pulling line. I can be tough especially if you have big hands to get in between the spinning handles to give that drag a bump.

When I was guiding it was nice to have a reel with the drag on the back to make a quick drag adjustment on a reel in a novices hands. I Guided with MR2 reels for a long while as well got my fingers wacked a few times reaching in there to back the drag off on a real hot fish.

I really dislike the drag knob on the MR3's and TR3's to big and bulky.....the lever drag on the back of this 2:1 moochers looks pretty slick.

I have used most of the offshore aluminum moochers and they are all OK at best...TFO, Amundson, tyee or any of the others are worth their $300+ price point.

If I wanted a multiplier moocher it would not be in the package you are providing. It would be a standard spool which could be palmed and a center dual handle....look at the islander Anti reverse MR2 reels for the layout. That would likely fit our BC form a little better.

Your reel builder makes some cool stuff, the spey reels are killer, congrats on thing outside the box but you need a little more refinement to work on the west coast..

Last edited:
and yes Aces, I am not sure why people in BC have a hard time with conventional reels when the rest of the world seems to make them work. I certainly don't want to deal with a single action reel on that 100# yellowfin ha. Its all what you are used to I guess.....

Funny, delving into semantics a bit, but I suppose we should consider what mooching for salmon actually is, and even though we still call them "mooching" reels, I bet 90% of the time we use them to troll these days. Point is, no one ever mooches for salmon in more than about 100', so a "multiplier mooching reel" seems miss-placed.

Yes, the quicker the fish comes in the and the quicker the release or the bleeding and into the cooler the better.

Fish have a very high metabolic rate and when you catch them they are often exhausted when you finally get them to the surface. A build up of lactic acid during this time can spoil the quality of the meat.

Catch and release quickly or hookem' and cookem' whichever, be responsible with the resource.

I have 3 LA-4 Islander fly reels that I use off the downriggers and they have the drag adjustment on the reverse side as well. When I saw that for the first time I thought...a plus. As a guide how many times have I passed a rod off to a client thinking the drag was adjusted and set ideally only to realize once it was out of my hands it was to loose or too tight. Very convenient to be able to tell the guy or gal keeping playing the fish while I reach in and make the adjustment. With a tradition drag you have to tell the guy to stop winding for a second or wait for the fish to stop running and hope it doesn't run again while you have you hand into the knobs. If I'm playing the fish I simply grab the rod with my right hand and make the adjustment with my left...again no worries about getting your knuckles rapped while doing it. My concern with this reel is maintenance to keep it working properly over a season of daily use. The simplicity of our moochers and the fact you only need to lube them a couple times a season is why I use them.

Yes, the quicker the fish comes in the and the quicker the release or the bleeding and into the cooler the better.

Fish have a very high metabolic rate and when you catch them they are often exhausted when you finally get them to the surface. A build up of lactic acid during this time can spoil the quality of the meat.

Catch and release quickly or hookem' and cookem' whichever, be responsible with the resource.
Yeah I know all that already...... so your basically saying that you just reel in the fish in as fast as you can , which really means your hookin it then reefing it in hoping you don’t pull the hook or rip the jaw off ?so you have the drag on as hard as it goes ? I still fail to see what your saying.... the fish swims the same speed when it’s on a run doesn’t matter the reel , that’s a drag thing. As to trying to catch up to the fish on a slack line really that’s within a few seconds.

I grew up using a fly reel like this a fair bit. The idea isn’t new but never really took off in mooching probably due to it being harder to reel in heavier fish with them. You get the advantage of reeling up slack line quicker and small fish faster. In an ocean without seals I would consider using a multiplier reel but when you need to bring a big fish in quick 1:1 strength is 1/2 the effort vs 2:1 in a mooching/fly type reel
You’ve solved a problem by using a disc with handles instead of the less skookum L shaped handle of the one I used.
Don’t remember the brand but made in the England from maybe the 60’s. Looks like the Shakespeare Speedex
Watching your video @ 8mins reminded me of effort it takes to reel when the fish really starts to run, the fish is obviously big and pulling hard so understandable he lets go but just shows the effort is overcome by the loss of mechanical advantage
I’d consider doing an honest review on the reel but would pass on buying one first
I commend the time and effort you’ve put into this! Thought about trying to reinvent mine as a kid to make it TURBO haha

I wouldn’t look twice if it was in a display case next to islanders, Amundsons and trophy’s TBH. Sorry, It’s just not a looker.

the 2-1 ratio is an innovative idea, kind of in the same way some of the MR2’s had anti reverse. But it’s not like islander made that reel and said “let’s charge $1000 for it”.
I think it were priced around $500 some will sell, but it’s not going to put islander out of business.

I have never tried it, and likely never would, but curious what would happen if you put a spinning reel on a downrigger rod, and tried trolling with that. At 5:1, 6:1, or whatever, retrieval would be fast, but I imagine the reel would not perform very well with a 30'ber at 250' deep! (if the reel would even take that much line)

Has anyone (for fun) tried such a thing?
I've done that with big spinners - I'm sure I'm the only person who cares but I have come on here a few times complaining about how nobody builds quality spinning reels you can reel backwards anymore; this kind of thing is partly why.

Anyway I've used some big spinners that do have an anti-reverse select and I love them for fighting fish. They carry plenty of line and the retrieve is fast, plus if the fish overpowers the drag it just runs, no big deal, you wait and then wind.

My current favourite is a Shimano Baitrunner but the Spinfisher VI long cast has switchable anti-reverse and I'd like to try one of those next.

I think I have around 250-300 yards on my Baitrunner, I forget exactly. But a big spinner will kick the tar out of much tougher fish than a 30 lb spring. They're underrated, I think.

No comment on the new reel marketability however back in the 70s and early 80s we use to catch springs around Pedder Bay up to mid 30s buzz bombing with a 8’ rod and a medium size spinning reel with 15 lb test. Lots of drift fishermen back then. Not sure why multiplier reels are needed now when fish have got smaller and fewer and we need to get maximum enjoyment from every one.

Back