First Ever Multiplier Mooching Reel

Hey guys, the past 2 years I had the chance to work on something really cool with a custom reel maker. Its a 2:1 gear ratio Mooching reel.

Check out the knuckle busting session at the end aswell to see how the kick back is. significantly less "dangerous" haha

Does something like this interest the salmon fishing community out west?

Any feedback is appreciated!

Dan

Fascinating Dan.

My thoughts:

I would think there should be lots of interest in the two to one ration innovation, especially if you are the first to come up with it.

Fishing in fresh water is one thing but I think it would be worth it to get some well known and trusted guides on the west coast to test it and put a lot of hours on it in salt water. You may identify some changes you may want to make to the design.

Are the bearings sealed and what kind of drag system?

Do you have it patented? - Canada and International - and the ability and funds to defend the patent.

Can you mass produce it and should you consider partnering or licensing the innovation with a proven high end reel maker who makes a lot of high end reels, say someone like Islander.

Once you get into that price range everything about it needs to be high end, tested and proven. If I were spending that kind of money I would also want to know the company has a history and was going to be around for decades to come to service, repair and provide parts and would be impressed if it came with a limited life time warranty and had a developed service network/capability.

Last edited:
Wow for a unproven reel that’s crazy
Do some background research on the company and you will be pleasantly suprised on how "Proven" the company is. One of the more talented reel makers here in North America but il let his website and products do the talking. He started making reels back in 1995 aswell.

Fascinating Dan.

My thoughts:

I would think there should be lots of interest in the two to one ration innovation, especially if you are the first to come up with it.

Fishing in fresh water is one thing but I think it would be worth it to get some well know and trusted guides on the west coast to test it and put a lot of hours on it in salt water. You may identify some changes you may want to make to the design.

Are the bearings sealed and what kind of drag system?

Do you have it patented? - Canada and International - and the ability and funds to defend the patent.

Can you mass produce it and should you consider partnering or licensing the innovation with a proven high end reel maker who makes a lot of high end reels, say someone like Islander.

Once you get into that price range everything about it needs to be high end, tested and proven. If I were spending that kind of money I would also want to know the company has a history and was going to be around for decades to come to service, repair and provide parts and would be impressed if it came with a limited life time warranty and had a developed service network/capability.
I sent that over to the owner of the company! Thank you for that feed back Rickfish!

Do some background research on the company and you will be pleasantly suprised on how "Proven" the company is. One of the more talented reel makers here in North America but il let his website and products do the talking. He started making reels back in 1995 aswell.
So they have been fished out here on the westcoast for 2 years of trials? Big difference with maintenance , abuse ,components and what they can take day in day out in the salt. If your going to quote me I said “huge money for a unproven reel”. I said nothing of the sort about the company.

So they have been fished out here on the westcoast for 2 years of trials? Big difference with maintenance , abuse ,components and what they can take day in day out in the salt. If your going to quote me I said “huge money for a unproven reel”. I said nothing of the sort about the company.
Not yet. This reel has been built for the great lakes to start. This was only to test the waters and see if there is interest in this concept. He will be looking for guides on the west coast to test the reel in the next year once we get a result of interest on the great lakes. If you have interesting in being one of his testers, reach out to the company and inquire.

Thanks for your interest,

Dan

Would just like to point out you can spend almost a grand on an islander reel and they have a drag system that’s proven to creep. $925 isn’t out of line if it turns out to be a quality product.
Such a good point!

Full disclaimer on the creeping topic aswell: never encountered creeping and the drag is much sharper than any islander I've ever had the chance to fish.

Would just like to point out you can spend almost a grand on an islander reel and they have a drag system that’s proven to creep. After taxes . $925 isn’t out of line if it turns out to be a quality product. And 2:1 retrieve would be pretty good for those fish that charge the boat eh?
That is somewhat unfair to Islander.

The only reel for salmon rigger fishing I am aware of that Islander is making in the $900.00 price range is the TR3 and I have not head anything about that reel having creep issues.

I have owned a number of Islander MR2's and MR3's which cost considerably less and the MR3 particularly can creep a little, especially when it is under a lot of load ie. fished fast into strong ocean current, not correctly lubed or cranked down heavily on the rigger etc. My view is that is a side effect of the silky, buttery smooth large cork faced clutch infinite adjust drag system which has huge advantages playing and wearing down very large salmon. I use a 'creep keeper' on the MR3's and they never creep with it on, even with the drag set very light.

I also fish Shimano's and find they can have serious drag problems. When the two drag washers get warn and smooth like saddle leather, the range of the drag becomes serverly limited and at its worst, you have to crank them down to the point they lock up completely in order to prevent them creeping a lot. Replacing and servicing the two drag washer regularly solves this problem.

Lets get back to the primary topic of this thread.

Last edited:
Intriguing! Definitely interested! Must come in left hand cranking version or convertible though!
Price may be an issue.

To play Devil’s Advocate - if you don’t want to use a classic single action reel, there are no shortage of conventional lever drags or level-winds that utilize the advantages of multiplier gearing to reduce the arbor diameter to allow for smaller, lighter reels that still have skookum drag systems. Isnt the whole purpose of the large arbor, and thus the large, bulky size, on classic moochers like Islanders to increase line pick-up per reel revolution? So, if you’re multiplying and going away from the sport of 1:1 ratio, why stick with the bulky, large arbor design?

Anyway, seems to me there are no shortage of multiplier reel options if that’s what folks want, just looks at what the vast majority of salmon anglers south of the border troll and mooch with.

Cheers!

Ukee

Lots of moving parts in a Planetary drive system. Which is what this is, no new technology here just a new use. The nice thing about a single action moocher is they are simple which leaves little to go wrong.

Sure looks nice! How does the drag adjust? A the start of the video, it looked like you showed a drag adjustment on the back of the reel? Does that mean if you want to adjust the drag on the rod, you have use your left hand (assuming the reel is set up for right hand use)?

If it’s a good product it will sell. Look t the money folks spend on rods and reels. Remember when Islanders first came out? Now how many folks would never use those cheaper reels. Except me

Sure looks nice! How does the drag adjust? A the start of the video, it looked like you showed a drag adjustment on the back of the reel? Does that mean if you want to adjust the drag on the rod, you have use your left hand (assuming the reel is set up for right hand use)?
Yeah the drag adjustment is on the opposite side of the retrieve handles. I havent had any troubles adjusting drag and once it's set it stays consistent. The reel Is interchangable aswell from left to right.

Dan

Lots of moving parts in a Planetary drive system. Which is what this is, no new technology here just a new use. The nice thing about a single action moocher is they are simple which leaves little to go wrong.
Il be curious to see how the reel performs on its third season. We run charters on Lake Ontario and average about 225 to 250 trips between 2 boats so rest assured these reels got good field testing!

Back