First Ever Multiplier Mooching Reel

To play Devil’s Advocate - if you don’t want to use a classic single action reel, there are no shortage of conventional lever drags or level-winds that utilize the advantages of multiplier gearing to reduce the arbor diameter to allow for smaller, lighter reels that still have skookum drag systems. Isnt the whole purpose of the large arbor, and thus the large, bulky size, on classic moochers like Islanders to increase line pick-up per reel revolution? So, if you’re multiplying and going away from the sport of 1:1 ratio, why stick with the bulky, large arbor design?

Anyway, seems to me there are no shortage of multiplier reel options if that’s what folks want, just looks at what the vast majority of salmon anglers south of the border troll and mooch with.

Cheers!

Ukee
Better performance while maintaining the essence of what a mooching reel is. Watching guys reel after a fish on a 1 to 1 is comical. Looks like they are going to pop a nut trying to keep up with their fish and with barbless operations out west I cant even imagine how many fish are dropped because of a lack line between the lure and angler.

That's just my new view after being exposed to a multiplier moocher. Prior to this I was totally sold on 1 to 1 sport.

Considering I usually have the riggers down close to 300' at times, this would certainly be nice, especially when dealing with weeds, or the occasional false release off the rigger. Save some time getting back in the water if you can get the line up in half the time.

Curious what it would feel like fighting a fish with twice the reeling speed. Would love to try it, but at 900+ no way I would be buying one any time soon. Looking to upgrade to Amundsons soon, and at just over $300 I am not looking forward to that hit! 3x that, not likely in my near future.

Last edited:
Anyway, seems to me there are no shortage of multiplier reel options if that’s what folks want, just looks at what the vast majority of salmon anglers south of the border troll and mooch with.

Cheers!

Ukee

I have never tried it, and likely never would, but curious what would happen if you put a spinning reel on a downrigger rod, and tried trolling with that. At 5:1, 6:1, or whatever, retrieval would be fast, but I imagine the reel would not perform very well with a 30'ber at 250' deep! (if the reel would even take that much line)

Has anyone (for fun) tried such a thing?

I have never tried it, and likely never would, but curious what would happen if you put a spinning reel on a downrigger rod, and tried trolling with that. At 5:1, 6:1, or whatever, retrieval would be fast, but I imagine the reel would not perform very well with a 30'ber at 250' deep! (if the reel would even take that much line)

I troll w/ spinning reels off downriggers all the time in freshwater for Kokanee and trout. A bit tricky sending it down as not as easy to control line coming off reel like w/ a level wind or moocher but you get the hang of it. Doubt I’d try it in the salt for salmon - use best tool for the job where possible, which is a single action for me when downrigging salmon.

Cheers!

Ukee

Lots of blue water fishing uses large egg beaters that are able to hold a ton of line and are used to fight some large hard fighting fish. always an option to use braid with a top shot of mono, fluoro or whatever. Dropping for large warm water fish and tossing top waters and the like are very common. These reels would easily tame a large chinook IMO

I troll w/ spinning reels off downriggers all the time in freshwater for Kokanee and trout. A bit tricky sending it down as not as easy to control line coming off reel like w/ a level wind or moocher but you get the hang of it. Doubt I’d try it in the salt for salmon - use best tool for the job where possible, which is a single action for me when downrigging salmon.

Cheers!

Ukee
Interesting! I never thought about the process of dropping the lines down, I could see how that would be an interesting challenge!

I don't imagine I will ever ocean troll with anything other than a single action mootching reel. I love it. All I have ever used with the exception of occasionally using a baitcaster when I was a kid a zillion years ago.

LOL, people are catching 500lb + tuna and marlin on spinning reels, I don't think a large salmon is going to be an issue. Even a small 3000 series spinning reel puts out more drag than a mooching reel is functionally capable of

Considering I usually have the riggers down close to 300' at times, this would certainly be nice, especially when dealing with weeds, or the occasional false release off the rigger. Save some time getting back in the water if you can get the line up in half the time.

Curious what it would feel like fighting a fish with twice the reeling speed. Would love to try it, but at 900+ no way I would be buying one any time soon. Looking to upgrade to a Amundsons soon, and at just over $300 I am n
LOL, people are catching 500lb + tuna and marlin on spinning reels, I don't think a large salmon is going to be an issue. Even a small 3000 series spinning reel puts out more drag than a mooching reel is functionally capable of
I should do a drag test on the reel shouldnt I

I feel that with a 1:1 system its a bit more of fair fight between me and the fish. If I didn't want a fair fight I would just go buy a $200 level wind. Not interesting for me but I bet some Americans will bite as they always get dock shamed for the Level Wind reels.... :)

Last edited:
I would look into getting that drag knob on the same side as the handles......looks like a real pain to make an adjustment while fighting a fish. Switching your hands around back and forth on the rod to adjust the drag.......doesn’t work for me at a $1000 price point, this thing needs more work imo to be compared and in the same league as high end reels like Islander and Abel.

I would look into getting that drag knob on the same side as the handles......looks like a real pain to make an adjustment while fighting a fish. Switching your hands around back and forth on the rod to adjust the drag.......doesn’t work for me at a $1000 price point, this thing needs more work imo to be compared and in the same league as high end reels like Islander and Abel.
I will shoot the idea over to the creator! Thanks for the feedback.

Dan

I would look into getting that drag knob on the same side as the handles......looks like a real pain to make an adjustment while fighting a fish. Switching your hands around back and forth on the rod to adjust the drag......
I know what you mean but reaching under with your 'reeling hand' is easy once you've done it a few times no need to switch hands-I haven't used this particular reel but have fished with other people's fly reels that were like that.

Hmmm interesting concept. Couple things

1. You need some palming surface on the spool. Its kind of a traditional thing out here and it is actually useful
2. The handles look gigantic and the big flare will catch stuff
3. I like the drag on the back, out of the way of spinning handles.
3. Innovation is great to see good luck with the product but it will not sell out here for 1k cad...
4. Oh and reeling like a crazy man catching up on big fish with barbless hooks is all part of the fun. There is always new tech available to make landing fish easier but is it worth it? This is supposedly still a sport....

I’ll stick to my 1 to 1 retrieve single action reels, as has been said there are many levelwind options for those who want that kind of a cushion while playing a fish, good for green fishers though I guess. You could use for trolling and for halis at 300’! I’m sure it would sell here, fishermen spend crazy $$ on reels

Concept is interesting, but not sure on the demand for such a reel out here. Not sure how many people lose fish due to the slack caused by single action reels? May be good for inexperienced anglers, but not at $1K!
Here is some constructive feedback:
- reel needs to have a better overall look and finish if going to sell for $1K (e.g. no exposed nuts that can come loose)
- have options for different colors
- install a free spool switch
- bearings and drag need to be waterproof
- easy to take apart and clean and maintain
- drag control on same side as reel handles
- reel handles look a bit too big and may catch on things - need to be able to easily palm the reel when the fish is taking out line
- drag should not creep when using a downrigger at any depth
- get your patent stuff all sorted out and a name established quickly because if this sells well the Chinese will be making cheap knock-offs in no time.

My 2 bits.

Last edited:
3. I like the drag on the back, out of the way of spinning handles.
See I'm not so sure. I like the drag positioned so that you can palm the reel at the same time as a quick adjust. Also, it seems to me the adjust would not be as convenient to tweak when operating the downrigger if it's facing down on the underside of the reel, but that may be not be an issue depending on how your rods sit in the holders.

Overall though, from my armchair salmon reel designer point of view, I think if the design allows it, the drag adjust would be better on the same side. That said, this being a pretty fundamental design feature, I would have thought if this was a significant enough drawback it would have surfaced in testing on those charters.

As nice as the current design looks, I would change up the colour scheme. The black and gold is too similar to the Shimano and Daiwa moochers. If I was going to spend $1000 on a reel, I probably wouldn't buy one that's black and gold;).

But who am I to comment? Nothing like the angry buzz of a nice spring on a Peetz, amplified through the oversized mahogany drum, with the simplicity of a brass wingnut drag adjust!

Last edited:
I can see the advantage to this having a 2 to 1 ratio is something that I would certainly try but not more than the 400 price point.

Back