First day getting Lowrance HDS 5 wet

abbyfireguy

Took the boat out to Cultus Lake as it is the closest safe water to me to give the boat a run and test and tune the new HDS 5 a bit.
It's not the salt water but I ain't driving to Vancouver and back right now.
After getting some of the auto settings tweaked and seeing what clarity the sensitivity setting made I got the unit working real clear.
There are so many things on this new contraption it's gonna take a while to get familiar with all the screens.
One hopefully easy answer one of you smart guys may have.
On the sonar page,
I have the depth and water temp displayed in upper left corner, how do I add speed to that area too.
It's only the 5 inch screen so I dont want to get the screen too cluttered.
The p66 transducer I picked up has temp ,speed and depth on it.

Thanks,
Steve

you have to do it for each page, sonar, map whatever your on
select menu, Data overlay, edit overlay, add, select whatever you want from one of the listed categories (which you may have to expand to see whats available)
hope that makes sense

Yup that helps thanks. I also just watched the video some posted on here on setting up an HDS.
So many more controls than I am used to...But it all works correctly so far..
Can't wait to see some real fish on the screen... Heading to Bamfield on June 16 for 5 days. Staying at Seabeam..

Took the boat out to Cultus Lake as it is the closest safe water to me to give the boat a run and test and tune the new HDS 5 a bit.
It's not the salt water but I ain't driving to Vancouver and back right now.
After getting some of the auto settings tweaked and seeing what clarity the sensitivity setting made I got the unit working real clear.
There are so many things on this new contraption it's gonna take a while to get familiar with all the screens.
One hopefully easy answer one of you smart guys may have.
On the sonar page,
I have the depth and water temp displayed in upper left corner, how do I add speed to that area too.
It's only the 5 inch screen so I dont want to get the screen too cluttered.
The p66 transducer I picked up has temp ,speed and depth on it.

Thanks,
Steve

Hey Steve, I just installed a new HDS unit myself and going to get it wet on the weekend. Can you tell things you tweaked. Thanks in advance.

A lot of the settings are on automatic from the factory. Ping rate,sensitivity,color line , etc.
watch that video on here by the Lowrance guy . He uses an HDS 10 I think but it is pretty much the same for all the hds units. I will try and find the thread link.

Back