Getting engine data

MikePA

I have a 2017 Yamaha 150, the boat came with analogue gauges for basic info.. rpm, speed, battery. Id really like to be able to see fuel consumption, engine temp.. water pressure if possible.. is there a good resource about how to rig this up and what equipment is required?

I have a 2017 Yamaha 150, the boat came with analogue gauges for basic info.. rpm, speed, battery. Id really like to be able to see fuel consumption, engine temp.. water pressure if possible.. is there a good resource about how to rig this up and what equipment is required?
Is your engine mechanical or electronic shift meaning is their a shift and throttle cable or wires? If electronic it is pretty easy to get digital engine information with a Yamaha harness

You’ll need to set up a nmea backbone and need a few other pieces. I ordered most of my parts on line off Amazon. SIM Yamaha provided me a few things too. I followed theses instructions to connect to my Garmin 943. Works awesome. You get a lot of telemetry. My engine is 2019 and mechanical. All newer motors have the port plug on the engine. I think 2017 will have it too. Just pop the cowl and look. If it’s there Bobs your uncle.

Last edited:
Is your engine mechanical or electronic shift meaning is their a shift and throttle cable or wires? If electronic it is pretty easy to get digital engine information with a Yamaha harness
Mine is mechanical. My sounder is pretty bare bones (Lowrance hook 7) and won't interface.. what do you suggest for displaying the data?

You’ll need to set up a nmea backbone and need a few other pieces. I ordered most of my parts on line off Amazon. SIM Yamaha provided me a few things too. I followed theses instructions to connect to my Garmin 943. Works awesome. You get a lot of telemetry. My engine is 2019 and mechanical. All newer motors have the port plug on the engine. I think 2017 will have it too. Just pop the cowl and look. If it’s there Bobs your uncle.

Mine is mechanical. My sounder is pretty bare bones (Lowrance hook 7) and won't interface.. what do you suggest for displaying the data?
Garmin 943 is a nice unit and is pretty affordable, and will provide all the Yamaha information once you provide NMEA 2000 Gateway or J1939 to it

Back