finally got a guide job

Been on afew charters before I got my own boat, sure wish "TugCapitan" would of been one of my guides!

Been on afew charters before I got my own boat, sure wish "TugCapitan" would of been one of my guides!

Believe me, I'm no hero. Like most things in my life I learned most of those lessons the hard way!
I've acted like the big wheel know it all, spazzed at guests for losing fish, almost pushed them out of the way to grab the rod and set the hook, pounded tentative guest's through chop to get outside, and ignored their suggestions. I learned from my immature mistakes, and was lucky enough to fish with great guides who tuned me in and showed me the way. I posted in the hopes that someone else could take the higher road and not make them in the first place!

I used to get a kick of the old fellers that figured they knew what was up cuz they been fishing for "30 years" but they seem to forget that their young guide probably has more time on the water in one season than they did over a lifetime. Not to mention the guide 's experience is on the local waters, not Puget Sound.

Also like the guys who insist on fishing some spot where they caught fish 3 or 4 years ago ignoring what the info is from the other guides at the moment.

As a WCVI charter client for many years, there are two things I expect from a guide when we are first invited aboard:
1. short safety briefing. Location of PFDs and flares, VHF and how to get to ch 16 if necessary
2. "What do you guys want out of this day? What fish species are you interested in targetting? Do you want to fill a freezer with meat or are you looking for exciting battles with select fish?"
All too rarely do these happen right off the bat. Of course they can be rectified by my asking the questions, but they should be a priority for every charter business. The clients have paid a substantial sum for exclusive access to boat and skipper. Their expectations and desires should be sought, and then met if safe and feasible. I've been chartering with the same friends for some years, so we make our expectations clear when booking: don't limit us out quickly with little fish; we prefer quality over quantity. We'd rather put in the time looking for big springs rather than smashing a bunch of teeners and coho you can barely feel because of big flasher, heavy rod and 30 lb mono. We'd rather run farther in search of big hali than grab some chickens in a few minutes, punch the licence and then off to get salmon.

I used to get a kick of the old fellers that figured they knew what was up cuz they been fishing for "30 years" but they seem to forget that their young guide probably has more time on the water in one season than they did over a lifetime. Not to mention the guide 's experience is on the local waters, not Puget Sound.

Also like the guys who insist on fishing some spot where they caught fish 3 or 4 years ago ignoring what the info is from the other guides at the moment.

Ha Ha!! Classic stuff! That last line is awesome

As a WCVI charter client for many years, there are two things I expect from a guide when we are first invited aboard:
1. short safety briefing. Location of PFDs and flares, VHF and how to get to ch 16 if necessary
2. "What do you guys want out of this day? What fish species are you interested in targetting? Do you want to fill a freezer with meat or are you looking for exciting battles with select fish?"
All too rarely do these happen right off the bat. Of course they can be rectified by my asking the questions, but they should be a priority for every charter business. The clients have paid a substantial sum for exclusive access to boat and skipper. Their expectations and desires should be sought, and then met if safe and feasible. I've been chartering with the same friends for some years, so we make our expectations clear when booking: don't limit us out quickly with little fish; we prefer quality over quantity. We'd rather put in the time looking for big springs rather than smashing a bunch of teeners and coho you can barely feel because of big flasher, heavy rod and 30 lb mono. We'd rather run farther in search of big hali than grab some chickens in a few minutes, punch the licence and then off to get salmon.

I totally agree with you. But all that being said, you do run into some jerk clients with totally unrealistic expectations. Especially people unfamiliar with salmon fishing. Also, as the skipper I think you need to make it clear that a few beers is ok, but getting **** faced is not. As the saying goes just add alcohol, instant asshole. It really becomes a safety concern because some people can not handle their alcohol, and you never know when you have one of those Lugans aboard. It's not like they have a sign on their forehead advertising the fact they go full retard after a few drinks. Although a signage system would make life a whole lot simpler for everyone involved. Please excuse my frank language, I do not intend to offend, only caution someone just starting out in the business.

tug boat just hooked you up, take his advice! And don't be afraid to get excited when there's fish on. I've seen so many guides act too cool for school and act like catching fish is no big deal. It kills the excitement for the guest.

Hell, if you get a newbie from alberta and he's excited about catching a "shark", don't sh*t all over it. It's their day, let them have fun, even if it doesn't align with your perfect day.

And bring your camera with you, take pics of your catches and surroundings. One day you might want to start your own guide business and you'll damn sure wish you had pics of your catch for your gallery. Plus you'll get old and forget.

I totally agree with you. But all that being said, you do run into some jerk clients with totally unrealistic expectations. Especially people unfamiliar with salmon fishing. Also, as the skipper I think you need to make it clear that a few beers is ok, but getting **** faced is not. As the saying goes just add alcohol, instant asshole. It really becomes a safety concern because some people can not handle their alcohol, and you never know when you have one of those Lugans aboard. It's not like they have a sign on their forehead advertising the fact they go full retard after a few drinks. Although a signage system would make life a whole lot simpler for everyone involved. Please excuse my frank language, I do not intend to offend, only caution someone just starting out in the business.
Yes I'm sure people have unrealistic expectations, all the more important that the guide explores those expectations right at the start of the day. Get the cards on the table and see what can or cannot be done. Also agree re alcohol. Personally I barely drink on a charter day, it's my one big trip of the year and it cost too much money and time off work to diminish it by overindulgence in booze. A beer on the way back in after a good day is great, the rest of them can wait til we're back at the dock.

im flying back tonight at 8 what a great summer wow. never caught so much salmon and hali in my life im home for 10 days then flying back up to rupert for 8 charters
ill upload some pictures soon

Hey islander how is the fishing for springs up there atm ... was up in late june and was very spotty ... island seems to be fishing slow and im thinking of trailering back up from kelowna .

lol you must have fished on some Renfrew charters in the past

Back