Feeling the heat ?

The news was saying that the west coast of North America has many places that are 30 to 40 degrees F. above normal average temperature and a considerable number of cities are setting all-time high records, at least since they started recording them. I suspect there will be more climate refugees wanting to move north as the world heats up.

I'm a hvac tech and things are crazy right now... Our team service areas all over VI and last I spoke with the on call guy yesterday he already had 17 service calls and only had a 5 hour break to nap in a hotel since starting his shift Friday morning. So I laced up the boots and am crushing OT this weekend. Going to work around 20 hours OT this weekend, but if I was still young i could have worked all 48hours...

Next time your heat pump breaks down don't forget to thank your service Tech!

Not looking forward to work tomorrow, if it wasn't for the ocean breeze I don't think I could stand it.

Grocery getter was running hot last weekend. Dumb issue that could ruin your day! Overflow hose suctioned to the bottom of the tank creating a vacuum as the car cooled off, pulled a bunch of air past the rad cap. I went the extra mile and thoroughly flushed the system. Cleaned the radiator and condenser, straightened all the fins. Enjoying the ice cold AC this week!

Luckily my house is built into a rock bluff, the basement stays ~20*C. Glad I didn't buy the place that had a vaulted ceiling and two bedrooms in the loft!

Last edited:
Im trying to think up a good excuse to dodge work tomorrow because i dont wanna go lift steel and copper pipe in 40 degrees weather ‍

Last edited:
It was so hot here in Port Alice yesterday that the rearview mirror in my truck fell off while parked in the driveway - guess the adhesive melted!
obviously it does not help that the truck is black.

It was so hot here in Port Alice yesterday that the rearview mirror in my truck fell off while parked in the driveway - guess the adhesive melted!
obviously it does not help that the truck is black.
My trucks black too. My tuner screen wouldn’t turn on. Unit was still working but the screen was black. Once it cooled down it came back to life. I ordered one of the reflective windshield things

My trucks black too. My tuner screen wouldn’t turn on. Unit was still working but the screen was black. Once it cooled down it came back to life. I ordered one of the reflective windshield things
A piece of cardboard put under the wipers could also help. Obviously not as effective as the reflective pads but still better than nothing. Also, leave one of the windows cracked open. Saw a black sedan down the street with its passenger side window popped out and glass everywhere on he driveway. Newer cars are airtight sealed and when the air inside the car gets hot and expands, it’ll act like a hammer.

Last edited:
Ya im a little worried for my crew tomorrow. I work at the autoport at 6 and steveston. I'm alright as I drive the ac crew van as foreman.
I have 5 guys and I drop them off at brand new cars complete with plastic coverings on all seats that have been baking in the sun. They then have to drive them on to metal rail cars that feel like an oven on the top deck and lock them down. Even if they turn on the ac they're getting out before it starts to blow cold. The only saving grace is i can get them done by 11am so they get a 4 hour break in the afternoon when the temperature really heats up. Hopeful there's at least a breeze coming off the Fraser. I imagine they'll be a few guys calling in (sick) to avoid the day.
Mo

I have one day of inside/shaded work the guys can do tomorrow. If it's still forecast at 40 for Tues I'll stand them down and we'll see what Weds looks like. Not worth getting everyone beat down already when we haven't even hit July yet. Not to mention productivity goes way down.

I'm a hvac tech and things are crazy right now... Our team service areas all over VI and last I spoke with the on call guy yesterday he already had 17 service calls and only had a 5 hour break to nap in a hotel since starting his shift Friday morning. So I laced up the boots and am crushing OT this weekend. Going to work around 20 hours OT this weekend, but if I was still young i could have worked all 48hours...

Next time your heat pump breaks down don't forget to thank your service Tech!
Good to have another tech on the board. We do mainly grocery store refrigeration it’s insane this weekend. Guaranteed it’s record breaking amount of calls . We have guys on island too running ragged . I snuck away today and took a call wife wasn’t too happy but it’s the name of the game. Good to see lots of techs helping out for the poor bastards on call.

The time is 245 pm in Vancouver . The temp, HELL.

Attachments

• B20C1D88-E771-4AEF-984B-DB14D005E23E.jpeg
    B20C1D88-E771-4AEF-984B-DB14D005E23E.jpeg
    50.3 KB · Views: 20
Got out of Vernon on Thursday as forecast was expected to hit 42-45 degrees. No A/C in the camper so we headed home to face the lower mainland. Wife had a heat pump installed 12 years ago over my dead body. Again I guess maybe I was too critical. Need a sweater on in the man cave. LOL
In ground pool has been waiting for a liner replacement for 3 months now due to COVID 19 and inventory issues. Expected to be installed on Monday/Tuesday but with this heat I can't see them realistically getting it done.
Don't expect I will need to turn on the solar system either if this keeps up.

Good to have another tech on the board. We do mainly grocery store refrigeration it’s insane this weekend. Guaranteed it’s record breaking amount of calls . We have guys on island too running ragged . I snuck away today and took a call wife wasn’t too happy but it’s the name of the game. Good to see lots of techs helping out for the poor bastards on call.

Yeah, my wife is deffintly my better half. When i was contemplating heading out yesterday she just asked "how would you feel if it was you on call?"

We do commercial hvac only. All our calls this weekend are for a telecom company's equipment rooms.

Any ways it's beer o clock now as I've been on the road since 4 am this morning.

Yeah, my wife is deffintly my better half. When i was contemplating heading out yesterday she just asked "how would you feel if it was you on call?"

We do commercial hvac only. All our calls this weekend are for a telecom company's equipment rooms.

Any ways it's beer o clock now as I've been on the road since 4 am this morning.
Exactly what comes around goes around . Cheers man enjoy the cold one(s) you deserve them

Back