Favorite bottom fish Jigs

Agree that lings aren't too picky, but the top producer on our boat the past three years has been the Madame Lure Big Richard in Pilchard. We've tried pretty much every jig and pattern out there - Lighthouse Megabites, Power Grubs, Hali Hawgs, Savage Gear, Mustag Inkvader, etc. etc. etc. and this is one that always produces for us. The original one we got is still going strong after 20+ lings.

View attachment 81075

Last year I started playing around with a "light jigging" set up - a Shimano Trevala PX 6'6" Medium / Daiwa BD 4500 / 40 lb Power Pro. It was a blast catching lings up to 20+ lbs - this year my goal is to get a decent halibut on the setup. Best jig on that set up was the 140 g and 168 g Shimano Butterfly Flat-Side jig in Blue Sardine.

View attachment 81076

You can not beat the quality of the Madame products. Nothing like them to compare quality. A big dig can chew on them.

Those Shimano flatside jigs are amazing. I find if you work them hard they will out fish plastic jigs by a large margin. It's my favorite metal jig.

If you want to up your game with that jig you should pair it up with a Shimano Game Type J or Jigger. I have the Type J paired with a Shimano Trinidad 16NA and it's a dream. Loading up the rod is simple and you can jig all day.

If you see any bait drop that Shimano Jig down & speed jig it the way back. It drives Springs nuts and they hit it like a freight train.

Last edited:
Agree that lings aren't too picky, but the top producer on our boat the past three years has been the Madame Lure Big Richard in Pilchard. We've tried pretty much every jig and pattern out there - Lighthouse Megabites, Power Grubs, Hali Hawgs, Savage Gear, Mustag Inkvader, etc. etc. etc. and this is one that always produces for us. The original one we got is still going strong after 20+ lings.

View attachment 81075

Last year I started playing around with a "light jigging" set up - a Shimano Trevala PX 6'6" Medium / Daiwa BD 4500 / 40 lb Power Pro. It was a blast catching lings up to 20+ lbs - this year my goal is to get a decent halibut on the setup. Best jig on that set up was the 140 g and 168 g Shimano Butterfly Flat-Side jig in Blue Sardine.

View attachment 81076
Can you get Madame Lures locally here in BC?

If you want BIG lings and/Halibut this is my go to. It's about 40cm long. The trick is to get to bottom, quickly xranck up 20', pause 1 second then repeat. Stop after about 60-80' up and drop. It's aggressive and takes some work. But I promise the big Dragons will love it. Even in heavy pressure areas. I have caught many 50# plus with this set up. Also Halibut lay at the base of Pinnacles and they will gladly eat one

Lings love to chase. It's like a dog when a rabbit starts to run away. It's instinct to try to catch it.

I use them as deep as 350' of water with no issues. (Just back troll to slow your drift).

Attachments

• Resized_shopping.jpeg
    Resized_shopping.jpeg
    12.2 KB · Views: 128
If you want BIG lings and/Halibut this is my go to. It's about 40cm long. The trick is to get to bottom, quickly xranck up 20', pause 1 second then repeat. Stop after about 60-80' up and drop. It's aggressive and takes some work. But I promise the big Dragons will love it. Even in heavy pressure areas. I have caught many 50# plus with this set up. Also Halibut lay at the base of Pinnacles and they will gladly eat one

Lings love to chase. It's like a dog when a rabbit starts to run away. It's instinct to try to catch it.

I use them as deep as 350' of water with no issues. (Just back troll to slow your drift).
What might we call these when we are looking for them.

No one has mentioned the P-Line heavy lead jigs. We use them with a slight bend in them and they produce well. Also the Mudrakers work if you find a spot with sticky bottom. Keeps the hooks off the rocks.

You can not beat the quality of the Madame products. Nothing like them to compare quality. A big dig can chew on them.

Those Shimano flatside jigs are amazing. I find if you work them hard they will out fish plastic jigs by a large margin. It's my favorite metal jig.

If you want to up your game with that jig you should pair it up with a Shimano Game Type J or Jigger. I have the Type J paired with a Shimano Trinidad 16NA and it's a dream. Loading up the rod is simple and you can jig all day.

If you see any bait drop that Shimano Jig down & speed jig it the way back. It drives Springs nuts and they hit it like a freight train.
The flat fall Shimano jigs are lethal. Just blew me away the first time I tried one for springs, and then all over again on bottom fish. In the latter case it was liiterally three drops for three fish. Bounce, bounce, BAM. Each time I thought for sure I've hooked bottom...then bottom fought back. White UV glow with a smear of smelly jelly, larger sizes like 160 or 200 gram.

Just be careful not to lose jigs though, fish in places where you know bottom isn't foul. Supply of centre weighted jigs into our market has been very low for a while, especially in the larger sizes. It will be hard to replace lost jigs. Test an area first with something you can replace if lost.

Back