Favorite bottom fish Jigs

14 oz Mega Bite Deep Drop Jig with the treble switched out for assist hooks (spend more time catching fish and less time snagging the bottom). Also like swim tails when drifting along flatter places. Less weight for shallower and less current.

Agree that lings aren't too picky, but the top producer on our boat the past three years has been the Madame Lure Big Richard in Pilchard. We've tried pretty much every jig and pattern out there - Lighthouse Megabites, Power Grubs, Hali Hawgs, Savage Gear, Mustag Inkvader, etc. etc. etc. and this is one that always produces for us. The original one we got is still going strong after 20+ lings.

View attachment 81075

Last year I started playing around with a "light jigging" set up - a Shimano Trevala PX 6'6" Medium / Daiwa BD 4500 / 40 lb Power Pro. It was a blast catching lings up to 20+ lbs - this year my goal is to get a decent halibut on the setup. Best jig on that set up was the 140 g and 168 g Shimano Butterfly Flat-Side jig in Blue Sardine.

View attachment 81076
Nice looking bait... how long is it?

Nice looking bait... how long is it?
7”, pretty much the same size as the Megabites. Fits perfectly on 12 - 24 oz jig heads. If you cut a small notch it will fit on the Lighthouse lure 14 oz heads nicely.

They also make a 9” (and 5.5”) in their swimbait model. It has a skinnier tail so a bit more action, but not quite as durable. I find with the longer bodies that unless you are running an assist hook, you get a lot of bites on the tail that don’t stick.

The other day the winner was the smallest swim bait you could ever imagine. I'm talking 2inch long swim baits. **** I'm giving up all the secrets lol

Those damn perch kept biting the salmon gear. Lots released. Good feed for the guests

20220611_204609.jpg

Well thank you for all the input guys.... Order is placed with a bunch of cool stuff. Saltwater fishing is more "gear junky" of a hobby than bass fishing, and I thought that was bad. Just looking for a mold for a 16 jig head and i'm laughing.

Back