Fathers Day Weekend Fishing Derby

Its not more expensive. Since your a member your getting your derby tix for the $100 not $120. Its really the SVIAC member ship that WiseBuys is supplementing and supporting. I was worried too when I read this but its late and I was reading it wrong. We still get a deal on derby tickets by the sounds of it.

I made some quick calls to our vendors to see how the weekend ticket sales went and they are selling fast! Also selling lots of memberships to SVIAC so we are very happy with the results so far!

SVIAC are very excited to be organizing the 2014 Alpine Group Juan de Fuca Fishing Tournament on June 14th and 15th (Father's Day Weekend). We intend to make this annual event South Vancouver Island's premier salmon and halibut derby. Having Alpine Group generously support our fishing tournament this year is a great honour, so too is the many sponsors from last who will support us again this year. The $10,000 prize is one part of the extensive prize pool being developed. Further prizing details will be announced as they become available. Our aim is to provide all participants with a quality experience at an event run in a professional and fair manner.

As suggested by Profisher, derby entry tickets are now on sale at Alpine Marine, EagleEye Outfitters, Island Outfitters, Pedder Bay Marina and Wise-Buys. Ticket costs are $120 per each rod. SVIAC members can purchase tickets at $100 each.

Our board of directors is meeting next Monday and this SFBC thread will be discussed on the agenda. If anyone who purchased a derby ticket at the Victoria Boat and Fishing Show has a concern or question, please email me directly at chris@anglerscoalition.com

Regards,

Chris Bos
President

Just a heads up guys and gals the derby poster is now posted in the derby section of this forum for your viewing. They will be going up at local marinas and tackle shops in the next few days. I believe we are nearing being half way sold out of the 300 tickets available. This is proving how popular the previous JDF Derby was and how badly it is missed!!

I just wanted to give all the ticket holders and those considering buying tickets a bit of an update. Firstly the derby sponsors have been very generous with some excellent donations coming in. Many of last years Banana Challenge sponsors are continuing their generous support and have even increased their donations this year. Ticket sales have been brisk and we are nearing 200 tickets sold out of the the 300 regular tickets available. The organizing group is working on some very exciting additions to the derby and once finalized we will share those with you. What I can tell you now is that there will be a "Team Entry" winner take all jackpot, for both the largest salmon and the largest halibut. Cost will be $100 per team (boat) for each of the salmon and halibut jackpots. The entered team with the largest salmon or halibut wins 100% of the entry fees. There will also be a couple of Monte Carlo style jackpots available for both salmon and halibut. We will pick a specific weight for both species and if someone who has entered catches a salmon or halibut with the exact weight they will win 100% of those entry fees. If no one catches a fish of the exact weight then those funds from that jackpot will be held in trust and will carry over and be added to the following years entries. So it will be a accumulative jackpot. The entry fee for each Monte Carlo jackpot is $20.00 per person for each of the salmon and halibut categories. We will be announcing shortly how and when we will make these Team and Monte Carlo jackpot tickets available.

Just got my tickets in the mail! I sure hope the 3 derbies (banana, SFBC, and shootout) that got there start here one way or another are getting the support they need and rightly deserve from forum members. Great efforts by all the organizers who have made events like this available to the fishing community. See y'all out there...

Awesome to hear your boating over from Vancouver FB! Sounds like a fun trip for you and the local victoria anglers appreciate the support.

Don't wait to long because once they are gone, they are gone. Those who have tickets this year will have first rights to tickets next year. If you weren't lucky enough to have tickets for the original JDF Derby you know that it was almost impossible to get into, unless you became a derby sponsor.

We will post that on the SVIAC site once we get a bit further along. We are still working on some major additions to what we already have. We won't be able to list all the smaller prizes early on as many are committed to sponsoring but we don't know yet what they are giving. Just the nature of organizing this type of event. Ideally the tickets would sell out months ahead of time and we would have all the prizes in hand early too. Then we could focus on the last minute details involved in making the weekend run smoothly.

I thought I would share an idea we are perusing for the winners keeper trophies. I found this company back in Toronto that can take a photo and using two lasers will copy that photo into a 3D image inside a crystal block. We have sent a photo to the company and purchased a sample block. If we like the product our plan is to take high resolution photos of our winners with their winning fish. Then send those photos to have immortalized into a 3D image in the chrystal block which will be mounted onto a trophy base. This really makes the keeper trophies a personal memento!!! If you are interested in the process the website is www.crystallizeit.com/‎ This does mean winners will have a 1 to 2 week wait for their trophies, but I think well worth the wait.

Here is a picture of the "2014 You Da Man Trophy" that will be won by the angler who lands the largest salmon and who also had at least one banana on board when the fish was caught. This is a keeper trophy made of crystal and it has LED lighted base that it sits on. The picture isn't the best as the lighting was bad. We will have the same keeper crystal trophies for other winners but will use a picture of the winner and their fish for a truly personalized memento

Don't wait much longer to buy tickets or risk missing out this year and not getting on the priority list for next years derby. The vendors are down to between 10-15 tickets left at each location. That means 3 or 4 people buying 3 tickets each and they are gone.

Back