Fathers Day Weekend Fishing Derby

Well this was a great event as anticipated. Thank you to all the organizers, sponsors and participants who made it happen. It was slow for our boat like almost everyone else but we did manage to weigh in one salmon each per day.

The winner took home over $16,000 with his first place fish plus side bet - WOW! Even the guys on wicked Tuna would be jealous of that payday! Congratulations to all the other winners including SVIAC I hope last years fund raising total was smashed.

Well I'm home having a beer and feeling a huge weight of my back. Maybe a day off to decompress and wind down. I hope everyone hada good time and enjoyed the weekend. I spoke to a few people at the wind up about some concerns and I'm the first to admit that there were a couple of hiccups and speed bumps we need to improve on the 2nd time through, next year. The crew will have a debrief session in a few weeks and we will discUss things that went well and also things we need to improve on. I can say that what we do need moving forward are more volunteers so that more people work and complete single tasks well in advance of the derby instead of a few of us scrambling to do too much last minute. That is when mistakes arie made or important things forgotten. Overall it did go well and we saw many smiles. The weather was way better than forecast and we all got to fish for the big one where we wanted to. Enough for now....I' m going to finish that beer and call me dad and wish hima a happy Father's Day!,,

Our camp had an awesome time as well. We started a new Father's Day tradition, and I'm looking forward to next year!! My boy had a great time too. Who says you need to catch a fish in a derby to have a good time?!

A big boo to the provincial government and liquor board. We bought. 2 kegs of Hoyne beer for the skippers meeting and the Saturday at Pedder Bay. There is a capacity of about 300 pours of 12 ones in 2 kegs. We sold about 60 at both events for a total of 120. We stored the 2 kegs in cold storage for the 1 week between events not buying any additional product. We paid $394 for the beer, about $30 for the cups, $200 for the server for both days, and then had to pay the province $212.00 (most of that tax) on 2 kegs twice. We told them that we were still pouring from the 2 kegs we already paid tax for but had to pay it again...so double tax. WTF!!! This is a fund raising event. So our total cost was $1048 and at $5.00 per glass times 120 = $600 for a loss of $448! We won't be offering beer at these 2 venues in the derby again. We will only offer it at the windup event. Sucks!

And we poured 180 drinks worth down the drain to boot.

For a fundraiser we bought flats and cases and hard bar from Cascadia liquor, what ever was left sealed etc we could take back.

I agree would be easier but we wanted to promote a local micro brewery...as this adds a broader base of support for the derby.

Hoyne can't take back partial kegs. So use it or loose it. They supplied the dispensing taps free of charge but we had to return it on Monday. Without that the kegs are hard to drink from and the beer a bit flat! I agree hard to pour it out when you think of the dollars being thrown away too.

Hoyne can't take back partial kegs. So use it or loose it. They supplied the dispensing taps free of charge but we had to return it on Monday. Without that the kegs are hard to drink from and the beer a bit flat! I agree hard to pour it out when you think of the dollars being thrown away too.

I'm really surprised Hoyne didn't help you out I know they are great guys, all you needed was a simple co2 system, what a waste ;(

first derby, i got no fish buddy got one lost a good one sunday, (fell down in boat) probably solid 20 but thats fishin! thanks to rollie and gang no one realizes the amount of work these type of things take again 2 thumbs up cant wait for another shot next year

Just go back to the mainland (sadly). Had a great time at this event. Thanks to Chris, Rollie, the folks at the scale, bbq, and beer taps. The jalapeno cheese burgers were frickin' deee-lish!
Disappointingly, I couldn't make the wrap-up but I am sure it was a success. Awesome win to the champ..16k. damn!

Our only bite came Saturday morning @ 530am @ the Can out-front of Pedder. Thanks the fish-gods we landed it! (13lb) The boat got as far as Secretary, and we worked everything in between Albert Head and Secretary. As someone who has spent VERY little time in these waters, it proved quite challenging. Battling currents like that is a real SOB. The full moon certainly did not help. Tried once for Hali Sunday morning but by 830 the current was to much to keep the gear down. We even stayed an extra night, fishing this morning (Monday), with much the same results. No fish to show for the effort! The weather today was phenomenal. Sun, clear skies, and zero wind.

Here is a shot of today's conditions....I believe this is off Beachy...

IMAG1665_zps948996c8.jpg

Just go back to the mainland (sadly). Had a great time at this event. Thanks to Chris, Rollie, the folks at the scale, bbq, and beer taps. The jalapeno cheese burgers were frickin' deee-lish!
Disappointingly, I couldn't make the wrap-up but I am sure it was a success. Awesome win to the champ..16k. damn!

Our only bite came Saturday morning @ 530am @ the Can out-front of Pedder. Thanks the fish-gods we landed it! (13lb) The boat got as far as Secretary, and we worked everything in between Albert Head and Secretary. As someone who has spent VERY little time in these waters, it proved quite challenging. Battling currents like that is a real SOB. The full moon certainly did not help. Tried once for Hali Sunday morning but by 830 the current was to much to keep the gear down. We even stayed an extra night, fishing this morning (Monday), with much the same results. No fish to show for the effort! The weather today was phenomenal. Sun, clear skies, and zero wind.

Here is a shot of today's conditions....I believe this is off Beachy...

IMAG1665_zps948996c8.jpg
I thought I saw you yesterday around 2-3pm heading to the ferry. Glad you had a good time fishing your area.

that was us...one of the best catches of the trip was the 3pm ferry with about 4 minutes to spare!!

Awesome Derby!! What a super job all the organizer's put forth on behalf of SVIAC. Sounds like Chris, Mark and Tom did not let up on DFO right to the wire, - what a big difference that made in the way it all played out, not having 200 boats at Sherringham. Thanks for a great derby, looking forward to next year, to bad about all that beer!! Congrats to the winner, $16,600, nice chunk of change, WOW!! Not sure of his name but he's "DA MAN''

Awesome Derby!! What a super job all the organizer's put forth on behalf of SVIAC. Sounds like Chris, Mark and Tom did not let up on DFO right to the wire, - what a big difference that made in the way it all played out, not having 200 boats at Sherringham. Thanks for a great derby, looking forward to next year, to bad about all that beer!! Congrats to the winner, $16,600, nice chunk of change, WOW!! Not sure of his name but he's "DA MAN''

Yup, that must be noted. I heard of the last minute efforts and late phone calls to the Prime Ministers office. As a result the slot was lifted and SVI guys got to play a level field. Impressive to say the least. Well done.

Yup, that must be noted. I heard of the last minute efforts and late phone calls to the Prime Ministers office. As a result the slot was lifted and SVI guys got to play a level field. Impressive to say the least. Well done.
Yep, all the more reason to support these guys and increase the membership numbers. They want a full time lobbiest in Ottawa, and that doesn't happen at current membership size. It needs to build and I think its clear the group running the show are getting results, where results historically had been hard to come by. Definitely not taking anything away from other groups that support the sportie, but the approach SVIAC has been taking is different, and has been effective.

If you haven't signed up, please consider - if you fish, you can save money with it anyway considering the discounts that come with membership. Put in the effort for these guys that work their arses off!

I wanted to follow up here with some money numbers and a few facts that I can share. It appears that we will be left with around $19,000 to $19,500 after all expenses are paid. This money will be used to further the Sooke River Chinook Revitalization Project. We were hoping to hit $25,000 as a high end goal but we are happy just the same with our final total. There were 243 fish weighed in and of those 11 were over the 85cm slot size that we didn't have to deal with in the end. Of those 11 fish one was a hatchery so only 10 wild Chinook over 85cm over the weekend caught by 375 rods with everyone targeting big fish. Using DFO projections of those 10 fish 4 would be Fraser stocks. Me and Chris met today for lunch and chatted about ideas for next year...all I can say is stay tuned!
It looks like as a result of the derby that SVIAC will have at least 2 more corporate sponsors which add even more value to your personal membership card. SG Power Products and the Carson Automotive Group will be corporate sponsors and will soon have a discount package for members. There should be a couple more announced soon.

Back